Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Since you're offroading, are you getting hot? Are you using oil? Any power loss?

IMO, higher vis oil would help with the symptom, but not with any actual lower end problem. And you might not lube the tight places as well, especially cooler.

If there is a way to test the oil pump, that would be nice. Showing my ignorance of diagnostic techniques here....
bigoilbob- the last dealer visit the technician said he has tested the pressure sensor and it checks out with a voltage check. He also made his own pressure gauge to test my pump individually and verified the sensor is reading the correct pressure.

For the oil viscosity, I haven't changed the oil weight nor the oil manufacture. Truck has been changed by the dealer since the first mile (for warranty issues exactly like this if they popped up)
I agree a higher viscosity could help the pressure. But that's not necessarily the problem.

The first time it happened I did not notice the truck was hot. But it definitely was being worked going up a rocky trail in 4Low. It only happened after I came back down the hill going back on the oil road. No overheating, temp gauge hadn't moved.
This same thing has happened more than a hand full of times the same exact way. Always low speed, climbing grades, or going up or down an incline.

I don't have power loss. No unusual motor noises from the top end. No oil burning or hot smell. I got my best milage coming back from Colorado last weekend averaging 27mpg.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought a 2016 Colorado Duramax and the hot idle oil pressure is only 13lpsi is this normal? It was after driving an hour so the oil was definitely up to temp
Keith, I was told 12-18PSI was normal operating oil pressure at idle.

·
Registered
240 Posts
bigoilbob- the last dealer visit the technician said he has tested the pressure sensor and it checks out with a voltage check. He also made his own pressure gauge to test my pump individually and verified the sensor is reading the correct pressure.

For the oil viscosity, I haven't changed the oil weight nor the oil manufacture. Truck has been changed by the dealer since the first mile (for warranty issues exactly like this if they popped up)
I agree a higher viscosity could help the pressure. But that's not necessarily the problem.

The first time it happened I did not notice the truck was hot. But it definitely was being worked going up a rocky trail in 4Low. It only happened after I came back down the hill going back on the oil road. No overheating, temp gauge hadn't moved.
This same thing has happened more than a hand full of times the same exact way. Always low speed, climbing grades, or going up or down an incline.

I don't have power loss. No unusual motor noises from the top end. No oil burning or hot smell. I got my best milage coming back from Colorado last weekend averaging 27mpg.
I should have been more clear. I wasn't referring to your gauge. I was wondering if there was a way to test your oil pump efficiency. Ideally to check output pressure versus output rate, versus oil temp, versus pump r/m, using the right oil, against a spec they must have. As I said, I'm not familiar with such diagnostic procedures, but this - or simply replacing it - would be how you would find a faulty oil pump.

But one man's opinion, no oil loss, no loss of power, no smell. All good indicators....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I should have been more clear. I wasn't referring to your gauge. I was wondering if there was a way to test your oil pump efficiency. Ideally to check output pressure versus output rate, versus oil temp, versus pump r/m, using the right oil, against a spec they must have. As I said, I'm not familiar with such diagnostic procedures, but this - or simply replacing it - would be how you would find a faulty oil pump.

But one man's opinion, no oil loss, no loss of power, no smell. All good indicators....
Yes, you obviously need to replace the pump there. But in terms of prevention, you should also think about the selection of oil. Because otherwise you can ruin your engine. Especially many people trust universal oils, though there often not all so smoothly. Therefore before to take it I have studied whether it is suitable for my car and for the engine itself. For example I have read the information about best oil for duramax davesoilchange.com/best-oil-for-duramax/ and it was a little easier to understand. Now I use Royal Purple Diesel Engine Oil as it is the most suitable if my car is old.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts