Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks...thanks for the "add."
As the title states...I'm just an old man, with a 2016 Canyon which I bought new. It was sitting on the lot, loaded, lonely and needed an owner.
I'm a sort of retired mid manager for a major aluminium corp. with my former area of responsibility being commercial and defense aviation and the Space Shuttle program.
Couldn't sit still after retiring so I started setting tile and do a lot of custom showers and whatever else a customer may want. Like to hunt, fish and mess around with vintage Honda Goldwings.
Found this site while digging for info on the diesel. Glad I found you guys!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Welcome to the site. LOTS of good info here. I've owned a couple of Wings myself (94&03), had to hang my helmet up for awhile. Enjoy you're stay! Mac:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad to have you on the site, any mods to your truck ?
Thanks much...only one MAJOR UNDESIRABLE mod...all indications of an engine fail at just over 33k on the clock.
First diesel, first "new" vehicle in 23 years and first trip out of town in 19 years and the engine has apparently let go at just under 300 miles into my trip.
For all intents and purposes it's a stock (loaded) long bed, crew cab, SLT, with really the only mods being some accessories... complete "WeatherTech" system and a "Retrax" rollup tonneau cover. Absolutely love the truck and greatly disheartened with the "break down"...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's at a GM dealership in Ballwin, Missouri and I'm not sure how extensive nor the exact diagnosis. I do know there's "metal in the pan" as quoted to me from the service associate at the dealership I'm almost 300 miles away, now at home. A long story but had the weekend from hell.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's at a GM dealership in Ballwin, Missouri and I'm not sure how extensive nor the exact diagnosis. I do know there's "metal in the pan" as quoted to me from the service associate at the dealership I'm almost 300 miles away, now at home. A long story but had the weekend from hell.
I was just beginning to climb a long but not too steep change in grade...limit was, I think, 60 mph, heard a rather loud fluttering sound, almost as if it was exhaust braking. Looked at the tach and realized I had zip for power. I was towing a 6x12' Uhaul flat, open with a fold up ramp.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So you purchased the truck new and have put 33k on it since and then it finally broke, or you purchased it with 33k?
I purchased the vehicle new. It was purchased November 2016. I have since, put 33k on it. It's under warranty. I purchased the "big boy" warranty too.
It's just unfortunate it broken down. I've talked "big" about how well built and how well the vehicle performs. As stated it hurts to see it broken...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Man, that's a terrible thing to happen on a vehicle that's probably paid off and your starting to reap the benefits from at this time in ownership. Keep us informed and hope the dealer can get it all back together so you can start enjoying it again. Mac:(

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Man, that's a terrible thing to happen on a vehicle that's probably paid off and your starting to reap the benefits from at this time in ownership. Keep us informed and hope the dealer can get it all back together so you can start enjoying it again. Mac:(
Lol who pays their truck off in two years?

@Shooter53 welcome and please keep us posted about what the actual failure was

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
True...I have quite a few payments left before I can actually call it "Mine!" Lol...

Left a voicemail asking for a status update on vehicle. Late yesterday afternoon, I received a missed call and voicemail, from the service associate. Engine is out and disassembled. Diagnosis of failure...broken crank! (Sounds Metallurgical to me) (I spent 29 years in aluminium)
Dealership is presently doing "cost comparison" (don't exactly know what that means). Presently driving a 2018 short bed, 4x, with V6 as a loaner from the dealer I originally purchased from...
Stay tuned...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just recently received another call from the Missouri dealership, where the truck is. GM has authorized a new engine. New engine is on order.
BTW, my name is Al.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi Al. Broken crank sounds metallurgical to me too. Especially since it happened at a young age. Thank god you were still under warranty. I believe a 2.8 short block is around $7k plus core from the dealer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Al. Broken crank sounds metallurgical to me too. Especially since it happened at a young age. Thank god you were still under warranty. I believe a 2.8 short block is around $7k plus core from the dealer.
I was starting to grow a little concerned when it was originally stated, "they" may "repair" rather than replace the engine. Playing the devil's advocate, know one knows how long that crank may have been "shaving" or if it was, before it completely failed. Glad to hear someone is thinking rationally.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Lol who pays their truck off in two years?

@Shooter53 welcome and please keep us posted about what the actual failure was
RCD, ours has only 5 payments left and we've only had it since last July! To be honest, we put $27k down on it and the wife makes double/triple payments on it in the winter and I save a lot of money nowadays due to not spending on aftermarket hop-up parts. At this point, I'm going to leave the truck as is. It's hard to do and makes me feel a little too boring at times, but it's what happens when you get OLD! Mac:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
@MadMac very nice! I didn’t put a dime down and @ 0% for 72 I’m going to take my sweet time sending GM my money. Hell, there is no way I’ll keep the truck for 72 months anyway

·
Registered
180 Posts
@MadMac very nice! I didn’t put a dime down and @ 0% for 72 I’m going to take my sweet time sending GM my money. Hell, there is no way I’ll keep the truck for 72 months anyway
I can understand that, especially if you keep using them for "rockcrawlers"! Heck, I haven't even stuck a camp trailer behind mine yet! Mine has had an easy life so far, it even gets washed and waxed! I really wished I could have gotten a white ZR2, I'm really tired of black, Looks great when "new", but if you don't keep it washed/waxed, it's the worst color when "dirty". Mac:(!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I can understand that, especially if you keep using them for "rockcrawlers"! Heck, I haven't even stuck a camp trailer behind mine yet! Mine has had an easy life so far, it even gets washed and waxed! I really wished I could have gotten a white ZR2, I'm really tired of black, Looks great when "new", but if you don't keep it washed/waxed, it's the worst color when "dirty". Mac:(!
Man, I baby my colorado. She doesn’t see any trails other than pulling the crawler on a trailer to camp. I agree the white zr2 is a really sweet look. The black is hard to keep clean, but I try ;)
Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
180 Posts
Mine don't shine like that man! Then why get a new one after 5yrs? My last Jeep "Rubicon" was darn near 14yrs. old (170k on it) when I traded it in on my ZR2. Mac:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts