Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use the onstar, I'm trying to decide if I want to renew , my freebie is up

·
Registered
587 Posts
I found Onstar was worthless in my suburban, so it was a no brainer for me to not renew it. But mostly with this truck, I don't want to pay for them to track my complete travel and plot it on a map with date and time stamp to them.

But my a few of my realtor friends swear by them. So it's kinda up to you.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Anyone use the onstar, I'm trying to decide if I want to renew , my freebie is up
My wife occasionally drives the truck and wants the ability to get directions, weather updates, traffic or even reservations so I pay for it. I have used it twice in a year and a half. The first time was to register my new services and the last time was getting directions to Key West. My wife has the MB Concierge feature in her GLK250 and is on a first name basis with the operators. She loves it. BTW, I do get telemetric vehicle condition reports and notices from Chevy monthly. As for "Skynet" tracking me. Think about this. If they know where your vehicle is, they also know where it isn't which means you have a resource when your vehicle is mistaken for or "Matches the description" of a truck used in the commission of a crime, or reported speeding down I95. Probably on the order of 10 to the negative 7th in likelihood, but you never know.

·
Registered
179 Posts
You know, I thought it would be a good deal but after checking the plans and cost of those plans I feel it's a little pricey. I wish my truck had the nav system as I thought it should as it is considered an "off-road" vehicle but I guess you have to order one out to get it. I can just hear the OnStar agent when I'm wanting turn by turn directions on a 3000+ mile road trip or from one fire road to the next, that would be a "hoot" wouldn't it?? The only plus I could see is if the vehicle got stolen they could tell L.E.O. where it's at but would you really want it back after it was parted out or had the crap bashed out of it in the desert somewhere? So the jury is still out on OnStar at this time. Glad I have a Garmin nuvi that I can use when I'm too lazy to look at a map,they still print those don't they??LoL!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I been without onstar for about a month now, can't say I have missed anything at all, glad it was a free trial to prove it's worthless

·
Registered
587 Posts
You know, I thought it would be a good deal but after checking the plans and cost of those plans I feel it's a little pricey. I wish my truck had the nav system as I thought it should as it is considered an "off-road" vehicle but I guess you have to order one out to get it. I can just hear the OnStar agent when I'm wanting turn by turn directions on a 3000+ mile road trip or from one fire road to the next, that would be a "hoot" wouldn't it?? The only plus I could see is if the vehicle got stolen they could tell L.E.O. where it's at but would you really want it back after it was parted out or had the crap bashed out of it in the desert somewhere? So the jury is still out on OnStar at this time. Glad I have a Garmin nuvi that I can use when I'm too lazy to look at a map,they still print those don't they??LoL!
MadMac, you are not missing out on anything not having the built in Nav. My Nuvi or my phone get better directions and easier to use.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I canceled it just days into the free trial. I found their pricing and services actually obscene for what you get and the Android Auto/Apple CarPlay are superior apps for navigation and general information assistance. I requested not to be contacted for sales and offers related to Onstar services AND I still get random reminders over the speakers when starting the car that its not covered by some of the plans! After the warranty is up I will be ripping out as much as it takes to disable that intrusive mess.

All you really loose is the big-brother aspect of them calling to see if you are ok after crash data is sent from the vehicle or theft assistance - both something I feel a company that honors their buyers would offer for free to keep their business (this is a cheap offer since the cars always online and transmit with or without a subscription).

I think what really ticked me off was the thought of my car begging money for 'subscriptions' while just sitting in the driveway - but then that's what they put 'keep it handy' the credit card holder under the center console lid for I guess....

Also dead was Sirius - but they kept calling after I specifically requested to be taken off all contact lists - they said they wouldn't call or mail and still do, the last time was during my beauty sleep at 800 am on a Saturday morning with a 'special offer!' - I will NEVER recommend or buy from them!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I still have the serious radio, I like my music and especially without politics

·
Registered
179 Posts
MadMac, you are missing out on anything not having the built in Nav. My Nuvi or my phone get better directions and easier to use.
Yes I agree about my Garmins (have an Oregon for hiking and have one on my Spyder for trip planning). Atleast I'll get use out of it since it was used in my Jeep for road and trail use. :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
I canceled it just days into the free trial. I found their pricing and services actually obscene for what you get and the Android Auto/Apple CarPlay are superior apps for navigation and general information assistance. I requested not to be contacted for sales and offers related to Onstar services AND I still get random reminders over the speakers when starting the car that its not covered by some of the plans! After the warranty is up I will be ripping out as much as it takes to disable that intrusive mess.

All you really loose is the big-brother aspect of them calling to see if you are ok after crash data is sent from the vehicle or theft assistance - both something I feel a company that honors their buyers would offer for free to keep their business (this is a cheap offer since the cars always online and transmit with or without a subscription).

I think what really ticked me off was the thought of my car begging money for 'subscriptions' while just sitting in the driveway - but then that's what they put 'keep it handy' the credit card holder under the center console lid for I guess....

Also dead was Sirius - but they kept calling after I specifically requested to be taken off all contact lists - they said they wouldn't call or mail and still do, the last time was during my beauty sleep at 800 am on a Saturday morning with a 'special offer!' - I will NEVER recommend or buy from them!
I have Android CarPlay also but d/n care how the directions were shown on my screen unless I'm doing something wrong. I like to see the full route on the map plus with the garmin I can search for hotels, etc.and I don't use up all my data when I'm not close to WiFi.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts