Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Colorado CCLB, 2.8L Duramax, Shadow Metalic Grey. 2.5" level/1.5" blocks. Softtopper.
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Long time lurker and first time poster (I will do a greeting post once I write this haha)
I dont have access to a diesel shop, i barely have a GM dealer... as I live in Northern Canada. However, I am heading to a larger city in a week and intend to put the truck on a diet while there. I do not want to buy a full exhaust as I then loose precious cargo space for refurning home with goodies I cant get here.

So my question;
- can I replace only the DPF with a 4" aftermarket muffler, as 3" seem to only be available as a complete kit? Leaving the rest of the oem system in place.
I assume that such a small turbo diesel wont have an issue with scavanging, and would probably welcome the added flow. I just want to be sure im not missing something.

Cheers

·
Registered
580 Posts
Well you can't just remove the DPF as it will throw the truck into limp mode. In order to do anything to the exhaust you have to reprogram the ECM.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hello all,

Long time lurker and first time poster (I will do a greeting post once I write this haha)
I dont have access to a diesel shop, i barely have a GM dealer... as I live in Northern Canada. However, I am heading to a larger city in a week and intend to put the truck on a diet while there. I do not want to buy a full exhaust as I then loose precious cargo space for refurning home with goodies I cant get here.

So my question;
- can I replace only the DPF with a 4" aftermarket muffler, as 3" seem to only be available as a complete kit? Leaving the rest of the oem system in place.
I assume that such a small turbo diesel wont have an issue with scavanging, and would probably welcome the added flow. I just want to be sure im not missing something.

Cheers
EPA strikes again

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Colorado CCLB, 2.8L Duramax, Shadow Metalic Grey. 2.5" level/1.5" blocks. Softtopper.
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
EPA strikes again
Thats what I am reffering to. I am cdn, so the epa can kiss my brown starfish. I am just not wanting to buy a flo- pro etc. Just want to toss in a slightly larger dia. muffler with some pipe steps from the oem 3" that feeds - exits the dpf. I dont want it to be loud, or drone. Just basically not have the constant engine lights and frozen def tank from september to april. Year after year. Especially when i am 4hrs from a dealer and they refuse to give me a rental.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Thats what I am reffering to. I am cdn, so the epa can kiss my brown starfish. I am just not wanting to buy a flo- pro etc. Just want to toss in a slightly larger dia. muffler with some pipe steps from the oem 3" that feeds - exits the dpf. I dont want it to be loud, or drone. Just basically not have the constant engine lights and frozen def tank from september to april. Year after year. Especially when i am 4hrs from a dealer and they refuse to give me a rental.
BAHAHAHAHA

I guess it was too late at night, apparently I need to pay better attention.

One that EPA crap started all the aftermarket engine accessories came to a screeching halt. I think that's why you can only find the 3" as a kit. As long as you can tune out the DPF so the ECM doesn't start crying you should be good to go. I doubt you'll say any performance change as 3" is a decent size for a 2.8L.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Full exhaust sounds 10x better than a dpf back
The plan is that there isnt a dpf (etc) anymore. And in place is an oversized dia. muffler... Dpf back literally does nothing besides change the angle of exit and a tip.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You can buy a tuner from HD Diesel Supply in Canada and just cut the DPF and SCR out, and weld in a 3” pipe in its place. If you’re worried about drone, weld a resonator in place of the DPF and you won’t have any drone, but it won’t sound like a big truck if that is what you’re after. The tune is critical, delete tune first then cut em out. Our DPF and SCR are reverse of most diesel trucks out there, so just cut them both out for good measure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.