Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loaded up the toy hauler and went camping
I couldn’t wait to see if the DPF would keep its self clean when pulling the travel trailer.
I have the Fusion app running and at the start of the trip it says DPF 80%

what I have noticed in the past is that if I pull onto the hyway and the DPF is near full it will start to drop. Then when I leave the highway it builds back up very fast. It seems the high exhaust temps burn off some of the soot when on the highway.

So with approximately 5500lbs behind the truck I was ready to see if the DPF would passive regen.
On the highway the DPF load started to drop. Then it slowly started to climb again.
The truck was down shifting to forth on the hills.
I was running it in tow mode and in cruise control at 65mph. So it was running around 3k rpm on the hills.
The best I could come up with was that it was burning so much fuel climbing the hills that it couldn’t keep the soot load down even though the exhaust temps were around 900 deg.

Eventually it reached 100% and it started a regen. Exhaust temps raised to 1050.
I was still runniing cruise set to 65 and Still running 3k up the hills.
It took almost an hour to finish the regen. I was waiting for a cell to be tripped. I never seen it take so long to finish a regen.
Not sure if it was from running at almost wide open throttle and producing lots of soot.
What I did Notice during the regen when climbing the hills the EGR would open to 12% then close while going down the hill or driving on the flat.
So even though it was in regen it opened the EGR under high load conditions. Maybe to control excess heat.

Another thing I noticed was how much more power the truck seemed to have after it finished the regen.

I read on the forum where someone raised there truck tire pressure when towing a heavy load..
So I tried this also. Wow what a difference. I think last year I was getting a sway caused by tire side wall flexing. It wasn’t the trailer swaying it was the truck.
Bib big difference..

I am so blown away by how well these little 2.8s pull a heavy load.
Extremely impressive ....

On my way home I had a full sized truck....F150 pull onto the highway behind me at the same time I did. His trailer was a bit longer than mine. I figured I would probably be holding this guy up.
But with the cruise set at 65 it wasn’t long before I didn’t see him in my mirrors anymore..

Rob

·
Registered
173 Posts
interesting stuff. were you using the OBD fusion App? do you know if there is a good android version of a handy diagnostics app?

·
Super Moderator
559 Posts
Nice ride! I wish mine was a long box. Also, very interesting on the towing report. I guess GM dumping this engine has more to do with getting us to spend 60k on a 3.0 full size than it does with any shortcomings the 2.8 might have.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
interesting stuff. were you using the OBD fusion App? do you know if there is a good android version of a handy diagnostics app?
I have both the android ver and Apple
I believe they are both Fusion.
i will check and post

Rob

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice ride! I wish mine was a long box. Also, very interesting on the towing report. I guess GM dumping this engine has more to do with getting us to spend 60k on a 3.0 full size than it does with any shortcomings the 2.8 might have.
I think your right.
and maybe lack of sales for a small diesel.
If they would have priced it a bit better I think the sales would have been a lot better.

Rob

·
Registered
298 Posts
Thx Coloradorob. Since our vehicles are similar, and since the trailer load you impose on yours is also, and since I have towed lots with no soot build up problem, my take away is how thankful I am that I don't have this app. I'm plenty OCD with the feedback the info panel already gives me. I am always keeping 2-3 trends in my head - trans temp v outside temp, oil pressure v engine temp v engine speed, engine speed at shifting v engine load - there's no end to it. You are validating me letting this take car of itself and listening to Sirius Outlaw Country instead....

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seems to be a pretty good setup. And towing is good for it. Gets the DPF hot and cleans out the soot.
I have a bad habit of wanting to know what is going on and how things work.
Its a bad habit lolololol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts