Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, the more I read the more convinced I should just go pick up a 6-banger rather than get the MiniMax that I've been drooling over since I discovered it...it seems that you either have minimal problems and max out around 60,000 miles before trading it in, or you hope and pray you can hand the keys back to the dealer after 10,000 problematic miles...

My question is this...for those with both good and bad experiences, what was your driving like?

Do more have problems if they're short trips vs all longer trip/run times? Is idle time a factor in any of it? Does towing help/hurt any of the emissions related issues?

My situation: I am a remodeling contractor and have a few trailers (nothing over 6k# on a normal basis). The truck on paper seems perfect and I love the look, but the problems and lack of many with over 60,000 miles concerns me a bit. I'm known to keep most of my vehicles to 200,000...

I get it...delete and tune blah blah blah...I'm not into it...I want to get in the $40k truck and drive it as I got it off the parking lot.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
:rolleyes:Another one of these threads?

I’ll play. I love my truck, it’s been trouble free.

No, I haven’t put 60,000 miles on it in 15 months. sorry I can’t comment on that

Most of my driving is short trips (<15 miles). I drive pretty hot. Idling for long periods (>30 mins) always triggers a regen. Towing hasn’t caused any problems.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have 64,000 miles on mine. 2016 model.
It is my only vehicle. I’ve driven it all over the USA, Mexico last year and all over Baja last month.
No major issues at all.
Love it and plan on getting 500,000 out of it

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Have had our 2017 Canyon All Terrain for 14 months and have 34,100 miles on it. No problems. Have went on 1000+ mile round trips from Missouri to Ohio twice now, and the truck gets at least 150 mile round trips through the week if not more. Usually don't drive it less than 40 miles at a time since we live decently far from places we need to go to.

Plan on keeping it until 200,000 plus. Stock truck btw.

Edit: Also, I do not tow much. When I do, it hasn't been much over 1,000 lbs. on my 6' x 12' utility trailer. I've only ever noticed the "Please keep driving for DPF burn" once. I figure that is because we don't do short trips. Short trips would probably cause it to act up more.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Have +28k miles on mine, no problems drive from pa to Az and back each year. Great mileage 27+ - high 36 on two trips 250 & 280 miles. Low 20s pulling my boat.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, I'll have some short trips around town...it definitely seems like these are 'typical' diesels, the long trips are important. My other option is keeping my current truck, and running most short trips with it, though that's a regular cab and the little one needs a place to sit. I keep looking at the Colorado because it'd have the same amount of towing capacity as my Ram 1500 with a 4.7L engine...which does fine for what I need, but it's aging and I need some way to pick up the baby from the sitter.

·
Registered
41 Posts
64 mile round trip commute every day. Approaching 6500 on a 2017. Still haven't had to add DEF yet and haven't seen it run a regen either. Added a Provent but that's the only "mod" so far. Some towing but light loads. 27 mpg most of the time. Totally understand your hesitation. Personally this is the best vehicle I've ever owned. Good luck in your endeavor.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, the purchase is 1-2 months out...saving to drop cash and not finance it, but hopefully it'll be a great one that'll last years!

·
Registered
156 Posts
had a bit of a rough start with mine, had to go into dealer at 3,600 miles and it was a hassle because Chevy could not find the parts to fix it (DPF, NOX sensors, something else i can't remember), presumably because there are lots of failures in the exhaust cleaning system. also some niggling issues with things like lights. but, overall, this is the most fun, nicest truck i have owned compared to Toyo Tacos. just love the way it sounds and feels pulling up hills. mileage is outrageous, 30 for general driving 21 mpg pulling a 2,400 pound trailer all over the western states, lots of hills. i'm a little over 16,0000 now and no other issues. i rarely do short trips and i am a softy on the pedal mainly because i'm anal about getting good mileage. i find it gets about 4,000 miles before DEF light comes on (30% remaining) when i'm towing. i only hope it will last a long time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ok, the more I read the more convinced I should just go pick up a 6-banger rather than get the MiniMax that I've been drooling over since I discovered it...it seems that you either have minimal problems and max out around 60,000 miles before trading it in, or you hope and pray you can hand the keys back to the dealer after 10,000 problematic miles...

My question is this...for those with both good and bad experiences, what was your driving like?

Do more have problems if they're short trips vs all longer trip/run times? Is idle time a factor in any of it? Does towing help/hurt any of the emissions related issues?

My situation: I am a remodeling contractor and have a few trailers (nothing over 6k# on a normal basis). The truck on paper seems perfect and I love the look, but the problems and lack of many with over 60,000 miles concerns me a bit. I'm known to keep most of my vehicles to 200,000...

I get it...delete and tune blah blah blah...I'm not into it...I want to get in the $40k truck and drive it as I got it off the parking lot.
12000 Miles no issues here at all. My Father in law loved mine so much he bought a diesel just yesterday..
fullsizeoutput_efb.jpeg

·
Registered
15 Posts

I have 14000 miles on mine and I've never had ounce of trouble with the diesel part. The biggest problem I have had is with a right front axle noise with excessive tire wear on that side.

I have 14000 miles on my 2016 and have never had an ounce of trouble with the diesel part. Now I have have had and still am having trouble with a right front axle noise and it is causing that tire to have a normal tire wear. If they would figure that out I would love the truck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
first new vehicle and just hit 10k miles on my 17 Canyon. In about 5 months of ownership I am not at all disappointed. The only warnings I've seen so far are low tire psi, and low gas, that's it. I do oil changes every 5k and top of with DEF every once in a while when Walmarts got a sale on it. And getting 25-30 mpg isn't too shabby either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here in Australia the Colorado is popular although some have had major oil burning probs (mine inc.).
G.M.s' cure was to change from 5W/30 to 5W/40 synthetic in the affected diesel vehicles. Prob stopped but poor engineering fix !!!
I've covered 60,000 Kilometres (37,500 miles) over 3 years mostly towing a 2.5 Tonne (5600 Lb) caravan. Only problem is chopped out rear spring bushes. Just fitted Firestone air bag kit to rear, ride improved and tows better.
Average consumption when towing is 13.4 Litres per 100 kilometres (80 Km= 50 miles).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just turned 10,000 miles on my 2017 Canyon Diesel. No problems at all, most of my driving it to and from work, commute traffic. Average about 23mpg. Have driven a few freeway trips of 200+miles and see over 30mpg consistently. Not disappointed in the least.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, I'm getting slightly more convinced I'm gonna get a CCLB... kinda leaning towards the Canyon, I think it looks a tiny bit more truck-ish... and hope to find something other than black :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have 14000 miles on mine and I've never had ounce of trouble with the diesel part. The biggest problem I have had is with a right front axle noise with excessive tire wear on that side.

I have 14000 miles on my 2016 and have never had an ounce of trouble with the diesel part. Now I have have had and still am having trouble with a right front axle noise and it is causing that tire to have a normal tire wear. If they would figure that out I would love the truck.
Did you have it checked, any answer ? Mine is also load !!

·
Registered
15 Posts
36000 on my 2017 Diesel. Like you, I am not interested in tunes and deletes. It runs perfectly. Average fuel economy is 27 and freeway is 33. I don't drive it any special way, just drive it. Only modification was air dam removal. It looks stupid and hits everything including the snow in my driveway of my vacation house. Since it runs so well and gets great fuel mileage, no reason to deal with aftermarket tunes and parts.

·
Registered
2 Posts

2018 Colorado- 65,000 miles. I absolutely love the truck. I often pull an 18 foot toy hauler and it handles it like a pro. Plan on keeping the truck a long long time.

·
Registered
156 Posts
update on mine: now with 47K miles, no other problems except really minor stuff you'd expect on any vehicle (except that now it won't work with onstar internet which is annoying and i've lost the little indicator on the screen that says how much service is in the area). no other issues with engine or emissions systems. amazing truck, love it, love driving it. i put aftermarket struts on the front that raised it about 2" and improved the handling. i put on and firestone air bags and then removed them after a failure that was caused by Firestone using soft bolts. just put on a set of SUMO helper springs and those work very well. will probably put the Firestone bag set up for sale (with hardened bolts i bought) as soon as the replacement bag arrives. also removed the air dam.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts