Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Team I am back under a new header. My old profile was a KC Chiefs portrait. Had a computer upgrade and lost access.

Anyway, reporting back on my purchase of a 2019 Shasta Oasis.
-25 ft from hitch to bumper.
-Dry Weight 3,950lbs
-Hitch weight is around 475lbs.
-Firestone support air bags.
-Curt Weight Distribution hitch

Some of this content will seem redundant to some, but I am sending out, so I can save people some headache.
As you all know, people frequently ask how big a camper they can pull. Of course all the Truck manufacturers gloat about Towing capacity.

When I first started researching, I had a buddy tell me I could pull a 30ft camper, 6,000lbs with 700lb hitch weight with no problem.
I then joined this site, and some of you where very honest, and said if I saw you pulling that big of camper going down the road you would make a point to stay away from me.
All though I did not care to hear this, thank God I listened.

I started researching further and ran across a piece on YouTube Big Rock Media. If you want the spread sheet just google it.
It calculates payload, towing capacity, and GVWR etc. The truth is these Trucks do not have the greatest payloads. Depending on what you add, 1/2 tons are not much better.

The purpose of sending this is to give perspective on anyone looking for a Camper.. I would not want to go any bigger than the specs on the camper I purchased.
It pulls fine, but if the winds get north of 25 miles per hour, I am parking the Camper. DO NOT GET CAUGHT UP IN TOW CAPACITY.
These campers are like kites if it gets windy. By the way, Air Bags are mandatory in my opinion. My wife even noticed the difference.

Certainly the diesel is a little beast, and the exhaust breaking is so cool. As you can see below I have little squatting as well. Plus I don't think the size of my camper dwarfs my truck.
Just be safe, realistic, and leave the Testosterone at home. Tell your wife you are the person pulling it. My wife and I had several tough conversations around this topic.
I have only had it out on the road a hand full of times and prefer to be 60-65 mph.

Hoping I this article can provide perspective to anyone looking to buy a camper.

Glad to be back on forum, and any suggestions are always welcome.
Thanks to those of you that talked some sense into me.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Cloud Motor vehicle

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the info! Towing a camper vs a car or boat or something is totally different.

Super glad the wife and I went with an 18 foot trailer that weighs 2500lbs unloaded (3500 max).

KINDA wishing I went with the ZR2 over the AT4, but I'd realistically never take an expensive truck offroading.

Even with the dual axels you still get blown around?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great question. I searched for a smaller trailer with dual axle. Yes, on windy day or 18 wheeler blowing by still can get uncomfortable. With that, I wanted dual axle.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great question. I searched for a smaller trailer with dual axle. Yes, on windy day or 18 wheeler blowing by still can get uncomfortable. With that, I wanted dual axle.
Ya, Colorado may be more off road worthy, but I don't care. To your point I am not beating up a $50k truck. I wanted a street worthy truck with a slight edge in terms of look. AT4 nails it. You can pull up to a wedding or mudding and guys will say, dam good looking truck.AT4 checks the box. Best of both worlds.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a '17 Z71 SB stock (no mods and no problems) and tow a 25 Ft Travel Trailer 5,000# loaded. I carry about 25 to 40 gal water in tanks that are over dual axles. Found that it helps stabilize trailer on windy days or with big rig passing in opposite direction on single lane HWY's. Wind speed where I will pull off is steady 35 or gusty wind days, but also depends on direction. I run pretty close to max GVWR of 12,000#. When Im off for big trip, I am around 11-11500#. Since gas prices have gone up I have slowed my towing speed to 59-61 for best mileage used to run at 63-65, I always tow in Tow Mode.
I have towed in a lot of states and have dealt with the wind of Tx, to the grades of Co and have felt safe in confident with my Baby Max.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the info! Towing a camper vs a car or boat or something is totally different.

Super glad the wife and I went with an 18 foot trailer that weighs 2500lbs unloaded (3500 max).

KINDA wishing I went with the ZR2 over the AT4, but I'd realistically never take an expensive truck offroading.

Even with the dual axels you still get blown around?
To make you feel better, at least you aren't the guy who has a Z71 and wishes he had either a AT4 or a ZR2 haha.

Honestly, the AT4 is the best looking truck in the line up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well that is kind of you to say, but I am guessing you have better payload than the off road rigs. I missed the memo that additional accessories cut into your payload. My door jam says my payload is only 1,152lbs. I think the long box I ordered probably does not help as well. Not to mention skid plats. More weight on truck less payload coming out of factory. Why GM would penalize a guy on payload for ordering a long box is a head scratcher. I got the long box because I wanted more wheel base for stability pulling. Plus it looks more fullsize. Either way we all, or most, like our trucks or we would not be on here.
I have a '17 Z71 SB stock (no mods and no problems) and tow a 25 Ft Travel Trailer 5,000# loaded. I carry about 25 to 40 gal water in tanks that are over dual axles. Found that it helps stabilize trailer on windy days or with big rig passing in opposite direction on single lane HWY's. Wind speed where I will pull off is steady 35 or gusty wind days, but also depends on direction. I run pretty close to max GVWR of 12,000#. When Im off for big trip, I am around 11-11500#. Since gas prices have gone up I have slowed my towing speed to 59-61 for best mileage used to run at 63-65, I always tow in Tow Mode.
I have towed in a lot of states and have dealt with the wind of Tx, to the grades of Co and have felt safe in confident with my Baby Max.
I have heard that putting water in tanks keeps the camper from bucking as much. I will try.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I run a 28' trailer 5900# UVW. Run air bags at 45psi (I would sugest them for any Colorado owner). Under normal conditions I run 60MPH But as soon as the wind picks up I drop to 55. I agree to park it over 20mph winds. But if you guys look at the tow cap on the Chevy Express shows a 13k GVWR with the same drive train and axle ratio. So my trailer is close to max tow I am sure. Even though we drive dry. I still bet we are around 7k of trailer. I got 14.2 from Green Bay to AZ. Return trip was 15. Pretty sure wind was the cause. I had a 3500 Ram Dully an was getting 7-8mpg So I absolutely love my truck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Love honest feedback. I have been airing up my tires to 48lbs rear, and 45lbs front. Normal on my tires is 35. I have been putting around 65lbs air pressure in bags to stiffen up sway on truck. Still early stages of experimenting. Love the dialogue as camping season is coming up fast for us folks in Midwest. What I am trying to mitigate is my truck leaning when a gust of wind comes up or Semi passing me. I do believe a fella needs to get used to some of it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I hear you on the Semi trucks. When I see them passing I shift over to the right as much as I can(ride the white line lol) Same for oncoming semis. Helps a bit. Never hurts to slow down a bit. Everything lives better slower. I hear guys running 70 with a trailer my god the rpms must be crazy. 1700 rpm is peak torque so with 10% rule the best mpg "butter zone" should be 1900.

Personally with my years of engine building I would love to do a tear down of a baby max. Weigh each piston and rod assy. Curious what the weight variance is from the factory. Would explain rods breaking.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hotrodfeguy, spot on! With all due respect to folks towing weight we are talking about 70 mph, well bless your heart. I guess you will pass me. I would like to float a question out about shocks. The stiffer we can make these trucks the better to avoid truck sway leaning......

·
Registered
556 Posts
Love honest feedback. I have been airing up my tires to 48lbs rear, and 45lbs front. Normal on my tires is 35. I have been putting around 65lbs air pressure in bags to stiffen up sway on truck. Still early stages of experimenting. Love the dialogue as camping season is coming up fast for us folks in Midwest. What I am trying to mitigate is my truck leaning when a gust of wind comes up or Semi passing me. I do believe a fella needs to get used to some of it.
Well trailers in general are wind sails. Like Hotrod said, best you can do is keep a reasonable speed and keep your eye out for semi's hauling butt. Every time I see one, I'm like okay here comes the vacuum and just counter steer away from it a bit. My trailer is about the same weigh and length as HotRod's and I also air up the tires like you do when connected. I put about 50psi in the bags and off we go. My buddy has an F-150 and his trailer is about the same as mine and he gets blown around just about the same as me. Some times he has more movement then I do. There's just a lot of square foot of wind face on RV trailers and you just kind of learn to work with it.

I am always 5 to 8 mpg's better then my buddy's "Eco-boost" haha, I still love this truck.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hotrodfeguy, spot on! With all due respect to folks towing weight we are talking about 70 mph, well bless your heart. I guess you will pass me. I would like to float a question out about shocks. The stiffer we can make these trucks the better to avoid truck sway leaning......
Before I even bought the trailer I wasn't happy with the rear shocks (did the same on the last taco also) I swapped the rears out for 2" mono tube shocks and that make a big difference. I cannot compare trailering before and after though. some here have installed a rear anti-sway bar and they say it really helps with lowering body roll when turning.

It's not cheap but they make quality stuff.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks SFL. You keep it real with quality post.
I'd be interested to hear more about the shocks you are talking about. The stiffer we can make these trucks the better. Like I said before part of this is just living with truck dipping down, just exploring every angle.
My trailer with Curt weight Distribution hitch with sway bar I am fine with.

·
Registered
556 Posts
What is the rear anti sway bar you refer too?
link above in post 15

I used a pair of Rancho RS7000MT for the shocks. Others have said they had corrosion issues with them. Keeping in mind no salted roads down here so that may be the difference.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I looked at the link I saved and it appears they've changed the model number of that shock.

Looks like this is the new # for them. RS77023 Rancho RS7MT™ Shock

1 - 20 of 45 Posts