Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
For sure on Cabin noise. The V6 will pull but it will remind you with the high rpms. How does weight distribution hitch help with sway? I thought it's main function was to level the truck. I have a Curt hitch.

Go back to the thread you were on: Does changing to LT truck tires greatly improve towing...

Start near the bottom where I describe why the Anderson anti-sway/wdh is a better solution... follow the thread to just before your entry...

The Anderson is primarily an anti-sway solution with some weight distributing properties... the bar type are primarily weight distributing systems with some anti-sway properties... smaller trailers have more issue with sway than weight distribution, it's all about choosing the right tool for the job... that said, I've heard from guys with larger TTs that it works great for them too... and easy to use, check out the video that's the entry before your entry, directing people to come to this thread...

I used to use a bar type WDH, then I saw someone using an Anderson while backing into a camping spot... I've had one since...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I have heard folks rave about the Anderson Hitch. I forgot to mention I have the Curt friction bar along with the weight distribution bar and chain. Lots of information on these posts I will digest after hours.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good, DieselDrax also had a great comment in that thread, so start on page one near the bottom where the discussion turned from LT tires to the Anderson hitch... oh, and I did just put the KO2s on...

·
Registered
634 Posts
I have an Anderson as well and am pretty happy with it. My buddy has an F150 and the same size trailer and he uses a friction bar WDH. When were running down the road I have just about the same amount of sway from Semi's passing by as he does (actually It's usually a little less for me).

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have an Anderson as well and am pretty happy with it. My buddy has an F150 and the same size trailer and he uses a friction bar WDH. When were running down the road I have just about the same amount of sway from Semi's passing by as he does (actually It's usually a little less for me).

that's with your smaller, lighter tow vehicle...and the full swing available for backing up is a game changer...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I heard nothing but good things about the Anderson hitch, though I don't have that. Ive have an Equalizer, WDH/Sway all in one. Have loved it, with 30k miles towed, been in winds 15-30mph in all my travels in US with no problems. Except in ND when Big Rigs do 75 in opposite direction on 2 lane Hwy. They create a whole new turbulence. I learned to slow down to 55 and hug right side and hold tight.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Reporting back on weekend camping. 10mph winds when we headed it out Friday. Nice pull.

Monday winds 30-35 mph! With gust up to 45. I was very close to leaving the camper and coming home. It was 200 miles round trip and I did not want to go back later in the week. After a prayer and 55 pounds of pressure in the air bags my wife and I headed out. I knew for certain I had to adjust route. The wind was out of the south. The good news most of the trip home was north. I also made the decision to stay off the Interstate.

What normally is about a 2-hour trip turned into 3 hours. I would describe the experience to driving in a snow storm in the Midwest. Being prepared gave me peace. Air Bags, weight distribution hitch and 50lbs air pressure in my tires. The key be patient, and go slow. There where times I had the little Diesel peering along at 45 mph as I had no choice but to head west at times. I kept close to the center line.

All was good on the last stretch heading north. I hardly had to push the pedal as the wind was pushing us. For me music in the background at a low level was good.

In closing I would never suggest pulling in these conditions, but if you must. Slow is your friend even if cars do line up behind you. I like to be positive, I hope not to encounter these conditions again anytime soon, but I have the experience now to adapt.

Be safe!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm 10 days into my 4 month trip to Alaska... I've really loaded the trailer down... I'm weighed in at 10,900# total and 4300# on the TT axle which is rated for 5k... I've had winds up to 35 mph driving north from DFW thru ND... those who decided to cross over in MT had to wait out the winds because they were traveling E to W, I drove straight into them which sucked for gas mileage, but got some luck with them pushing me as well at times (as low as 10 and as high as 15.5 depending on headwind or tailwind), but North/South made for easier travel...

The right anti-sway hitch and the right speed and you'll be fine in in most windy conditions... obviously there are times to pull over, but it all depends on wind direction and wind speed in relation to your direction of travel...

Scariest part of drive so far was coming down Stone Mountain south of Toad River, BC on winding, barely two lane wide road with no shoulders and loose gravel everywhere... the dust was so thick that the only thing you could see were the headlights of the oncoming traffic until you were passing each other... that was bung puckering no matter how experienced of a driver you think you are... 😟

Safe travels everyone...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm 10 days into my 4 month trip to Alaska... I've really loaded the trailer down... I'm weighed in at 10,900# total and 4300# on the TT axle which is rated for 5k... I've had winds up to 35 mph driving north from DFW thru ND... those who decided to cross over in MT had to wait out the winds because they were traveling E to W, I drove straight into them which sucked for gas mileage, but got some luck with them pushing me as well at times (as low as 10 and as high as 15.5 depending on headwind or tailwind), but North/South made for easier travel...

The right anti-sway hitch and the right speed and you'll be fine in in most windy conditions... obviously there are times to pull over, but it all depends on wind direction and wind speed in relation to your direction of travel...

Scariest part of drive so far was coming down Stone Mountain south of Toad River, BC on winding, barely two lane wide road with no shoulders and loose gravel everywhere... the dust was so thick that the only thing you could see were the headlights of the oncoming traffic until you were passing each other... that was bung puckering no matter how experienced of a driver you think you are... 😟

Safe travels everyone...
That sounds like an amazing trip! Let us know how that goes

·
Registered
318 Posts
I am by no means an expert at towing. I have flat towed 3 Land Rovers from Missouri to New Mexico. Winds are often high and gusty along that route and going 1100 miles it is rare to not encounter wind along the way. The Land Rovers weight about 4500 pounds and with flat towing there is no tongue weight. Towing the Land Rovers was no problem even with gusty winds.

I also have a 12 foot box trailer that I made a handful of trips along the same route. I will repeat, I am not greatly experienced. I have decided I will not take the box trailer on a long trips again. I am just not comfortable with how much it gets pushed around with wind and semi-trucks passing.

I have also towed u-haul trailers. The uhaul box trailers do not catch nearly as much wind and are much more stable. However, the uhaul trailers are not as tall as my box trailer. I also have on several occasions towed with a uhaul car trailer. That was also a good experience but the uhaul trailers are very well built and as such kind of heavy.

I previously had an F250 with 5.8 liter V8. I towed a large and heavy box trailer from Missouri to Washington State. It was very different experience than the Canyon. I never felt uncomfortable in wind or when being passed by semi trucks.

I realize that for many the wind issues when pulling a trailer with the Colorado / Canyon is no big deal and just part of towing. It is just too unsettling for me.

I will continue to pull smaller trailers, car trailers, uhaul box trailers, and utility trailers. However, I am done pulling trailers that catch a lot of wind if I am going long distances.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I am by no means an expert at towing. I have flat towed 3 Land Rovers from Missouri to New Mexico. Winds are often high and gusty along that route and going 1100 miles it is rare to not encounter wind along the way. The Land Rovers weight about 4500 pounds and with flat towing there is no tongue weight. Towing the Land Rovers was no problem even with gusty winds.

I also have a 12 foot box trailer that I made a handful of trips along the same route. I will repeat, I am not greatly experienced. I have decided I will not take the box trailer on a long trips again. I am just not comfortable with how much it gets pushed around with wind and semi-trucks passing.

I have also towed u-haul trailers. The uhaul box trailers do not catch nearly as much wind and are much more stable. However, the uhaul trailers are not as tall as my box trailer. I also have on several occasions towed with a uhaul car trailer. That was also a good experience but the uhaul trailers are very well built and as such kind of heavy.

I previously had an F250 with 5.8 liter V8. I towed a large and heavy box trailer from Missouri to Washington State. It was very different experience than the Canyon. I never felt uncomfortable in wind or when being passed by semi trucks.

I realize that for many the wind issues when pulling a trailer with the Colorado / Canyon is no big deal and just part of towing. It is just too unsettling for me.

I will continue to pull smaller trailers, car trailers, uhaul box trailers, and utility trailers. However, I am done pulling trailers that catch a lot of wind if I am going long distances.
Sounds like your box trailer is very light and/or was lightly loaded. Axle placement also makes a large difference when it comes to trailer stability. Main point I'm getting at is that it sounds like your box trailer is a pretty awful design and wasn't carrying enough weight. I towed a 21ft hybrid travel trailer around the US and used a decent WDH. The location of the axles under the trailer made it very stable in the wind but also made it more tongue-heavy. Passing semis or driving on the freeway with 30-40MPH crosswinds were no issue. No sway, no getting blown around.

Various aspects of the setup make a huge difference.

Reactions: 24travel

·
Registered
318 Posts
Sounds like your box trailer is very light and/or was lightly loaded. Axle placement also makes a large difference when it comes to trailer stability. Main point I'm getting at is that it sounds like your box trailer is a pretty awful design and wasn't carrying enough weight. I towed a 21ft hybrid travel trailer around the US and used a decent WDH. The location of the axles under the trailer made it very stable in the wind but also made it more tongue-heavy. Passing semis or driving on the freeway with 30-40MPH crosswinds were no issue. No sway, no getting blown around.

Various aspects of the setup make a huge difference.
I have towed light, heavy, medium, and experimented with different tongue weights in assuring the load is balanced. I am convinced, particularly with the success of uhaul trailers, my box trailer is just poorly designed to be towed on the interstate in windy conditions. Or, maybe, I’m just too sensitive.
Plant community Plant Shade Wood Land lot

·
Registered
21 Posts
End of the day you've got to do what is comfortable for you...

For me, my Colorado with my 21 foot Hitch 16RD TT using the Andersen Anti-Sway hitch is a great ride... even loaded at just under 5000# as I am for this trip... the only issue is 35 mph head winds that kill my mileage... averaging just over 13 mpg on this trip to Alaska... probably better if you subtract the 700 miles I drove into headwinds of 20+ mph...

·
Registered
21 Posts
June has come and gone... trading out my CCSB v6 for the CCLB diesel was really the right move... little over 8k miles now, 6k on this Alaska trip to date... the Colorado is performing like a champ, as have the D-rated KO2s I put on right before I left, although they will get a real test these next couple of weeks as I travel the Denali HWY and do some lake and stream fishing... then it's back to the Copper River Valley for a few more days of getting Reds before my daughter and grand-daughter fly in for the last 2 weeks before I fly the wife out again... but don't feel sad for me, I'll head down to Valdez for the Silvers and a bit of Halibut fishing to top off the freezer I installed in the TT before I left...

Plant Watch Fisherman Fish Salmon-like fish

41 - 60 of 97 Posts