Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Going back to towing. I have found that 60,,mph is the way to roll when towing RV. As I send this message I am 120 miles from home at campground. The 2.8 is very solid. As I indicated way before, I have 25ft trailer hitch to bumper. It's not about power. FYI, get air bags.....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Hey gang. I wanted to put a question out there. My truck at low RPMs usually around 20-30mph has this vibration noise on passenger side up front. It happens when I let off the gas but only at low speeds. Sounds like maybe fire wall. I will probably post something with new subject line but you all have been good about responding. It's not a big deal, but thinking it may be a simple fix?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hey gang. I wanted to put a question out there. My truck at low RPMs usually around 20-30mph has this vibration noise on passenger side up front. It happens when I let off the gas but only at low speeds. Sounds like maybe fire wall. I will probably post something with new subject line but you all have been good about responding. It's not a big deal, but thinking it may be a simple fix?
Known issue, the ECM (mounted to the firewall behind the coolant surge tank) is rattling in the mount. There are 2 tabs on the top, you can pop the ECM out on the top pretty easily, stick some relatively thin pieces of foam behind it, and then snap it back into place. That should solve it.

Another possible cause is the A/C tube that runs along the front of the cowl under the hood, there's a plastic clip that the tube snaps into, also near the surge tank, and sometimes that tube can pop out if it's bent upward slightly which will lead to a rattle. If it has popped out then gently adjust the tube so there's a little downward force constantly which will keep it snapped into the clip.

Yet another possible cause are loose screws along the top of the glovebox opening (with the glovebox open). Those will produce a metallic rattle.

I've experienced all 3 of these and they were all really easy to fix.

Reactions: Iowa

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Just got home from 120 mile trip. My common theme 20 mph winds, 55 mph, 15mph 60mph. Less than 10mph winds 65 mph works. I have gotten used to the big trucks blowing by. I was reading some old post on the Baby Mac vs gas. It's not that V6 gas will not pull. I saw a test ran that the V6 pulled a 6,000lb trailer up Ike mountain faster. The difference was yes fuel economy but most important at a much lower rpm. The diesel does not scream. Slow and steady. I am not a mechanic but I am fascinated by how these trucks meet max torque at 1700 RPMs. Same for the Ranger. That truck is fast and will pull. But everyone on here knows we did not buy our trucks to race. Steady and strong without all the aggressive gear shifting. My buddy has a 1/2 ton new Chevy 5.3 gasser. Our Baby Mac has similar torque with way better fuel economy. My point I guess yes, I Iove my Diesel. If we continue to enjoy camping and upgrade 5-6 years down the road, I won't bother with the 1/2 ton. I will jump up to 2500 or 3500. Our trucks are little beast, and not convinced the 1/2 is that much better. I am sure a little but not alot.
JMO.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve taken My 33’ camper at 5500+ LBS on a few trips. Only part that worries me is the wind draft and going up a mountain but I live in FL so not much of a reason to worry. I coast still 70-72 MPH and tranny rarely gets above 200 degrees. It’s very much so a Marathon and not a sprint with that long of a rig so there is no pedal to the medal haha.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Good to hear I have friends that think these rigs can pull. You must be hunger than me. I will will never go 70 mph confidently. That's just me brother. I live up in Iowa. Been windy this year.

·
Registered
11 Posts
90% of the time this truck spends towing. I have no idea how the new 2.7s will do, but this truck handles the trailer like a champ. A few white knuckle situations in high winds, but slowing down a bit solves most issues.

Just got home from 120 mile trip. My common theme 20 mph winds, 55 mph, 15mph 60mph. Less than 10mph winds 65 mph works. I have gotten used to the big trucks blowing by. I was reading some old post on the Baby Mac vs gas. It's not that V6 gas will not pull. I saw a test ran that the V6 pulled a 6,000lb trailer up Ike mountain faster. The difference was yes fuel economy but most important at a much lower rpm. The diesel does not scream. Slow and steady. I am not a mechanic but I am fascinated by how these trucks meet max torque at 1700 RPMs. Same for the Ranger. That truck is fast and will pull. But everyone on here knows we did not buy our trucks to race. Steady and strong without all the aggressive gear shifting. My buddy has a 1/2 ton new Chevy 5.3 gasser. Our Baby Mac has similar torque with way better fuel economy. My point I guess yes, I Iove my Diesel. If we continue to enjoy camping and upgrade 5-6 years down the road, I won't bother with the 1/2 ton. I will jump up to 2500 or 3500. Our trucks are little beast, and not convinced the 1/2 is that much better. I am sure a little but not alot.
JMO.
I'm with you here. If I ever do upgrade to a bigger truck, I'd also probably go for a 2500 instead of a 1/2 ton.

Tire Sky Wheel Land vehicle Car
Cloud Land vehicle Vehicle Plant Sky
Plant Car Light Speedometer Automotive design

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just finished my 6000 mile summer trip to Pacific Northwest from San Diego, Ca. This was my 3rd summer of 6k or more and good again. GVWC 11200#, 800# under the max. Truck at 6k#, trailer 5200# scaled. Fuel economy was about 19 mpg towing and pleasure time. Thankfully no problems with truck this time, small issue with trailer jack, but was able to work thru it for trip. Finally got to use my floor jack that I use for tongue weight,( not my trailer but helped a fellow travel trailer change tire).

And Salty would love to see your map/itinerary into Alaska. It is a trip I will be taking in about 4-6 years. Would enjoy seeing what roads highways you took from Texas, since I know I will be in the Mid-South at time of trip.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That set up in the picture is 10,900# total with the trailer axle at 4300#...

I've got a ton of drone footage that I've promised to upload to a youtube channel for friends that keep asking... I'll put an itinerary up there as well... including timing for chasing various salmon runs... This trip I left on May 21st and meandered for 3 weeks in Canada before entering Alaska... flew the wife in on June 12th, and the daughter plus grand-daughter in on July 25th... all three fly out on same flight August 5th... wasn't too long for my daughter but I was able to teach her to floss for Reds in the Kenai River (where she pulled in 2 Reds her first time out); as well as, fishing for Pinks and Silvers in Resurrection Creek... The additional freezer I installed under the dinette is full to the brim with about 80# of salmon fillets...

After they fly out, I'm headed back down to the Kenai to see if I can catch the last of the late run of Reds, before heading down to Valdez again to snag for Slivers and do my Halibut charter... everything I catch in Valdez will need to be flown home as I've only got the regular freezer space left which I hope to fill with the sockeye from the Kenai or possibly Kasilof... then it's a waiting game and I'll need to kill a week or two freshwater fishing for Artic Grayling, Rainbows, and Lake Trout in Thompson Pass outside of Valdez, but we all have our crosses to bear don't we...

anyways, once I get the channel set up and drone footage and stuff up, I'll let you know... but I must warn you, I'm a much better fisher than I am drone pilot…

Daughter's first Reds, that's a 24 inch level placed above filleting board for reference...

Food Fish Salmon-like fish Fin Marine biology

Grayling at a lake off Denali Highway... they cost me a rear scissor jack... big dip in the path down to the lake... but we camped there, it was free and there wasn't anyone for miles around...

Sky Mountain Grassland Plant People in nature

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wouldn't call fishing my thrill, but I really enjoy catching what I eat. My wife and I have a fish heavy diet, so fishing just became something we did... like gardening, which I really don't enjoy, but really like my own veggies...

Honestly though, there is something therapeutic about eating food that you've grown/fished/hunted...

and I'll post the channel with the videos once I get back and upload everything to it...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
100%
I am far from a pro fisherman. Example I posted a while back about a campout on pulling. We had some steaks thawing out in the camper. It was 2:00 in the afternoon and downtime. I said to the wife and kids let's go fishing down by the spillway by lake we where camping out. I had no intention of cleaning fish. It was a bonus Surf and Turf at camp!
You never forget those moments.

61 - 80 of 97 Posts