Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was wondering if any of you have removed your rear seats. Im asking this because I would like to have a little more payload for my stuff, not seats that never get used. I heard some where that you would only gain about 20# by removing them, (just bottom portion). I was thinking it would be more.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I removed the 60% portion and put a deck in for my dog... although recently my daughter and grand-daughter came to visit the wife and I during our Alaska trip, and I installed anchors in the deck to secure a child car seat and used the seat back hook as the back anchor...

The deck is 3/4 inch oak plywood that I had laying around... there is foam padding attached and a small area rug thrown over the top... I put two access points to the storage under it... you can see the two anchors I attached... kept the one seat as a just in case...

there are kits out there from Goose Gear, but $650 for the 60% kit just seemed a bit high to me... I've got about $50 wrapped up into mine and it's down tight... I guess I could make it look better by getting a fitted rug but I GSD doesn't seem to care...

White Hood Automotive tire Light Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
11 Posts
Everyone get a chance to see 2023 model?
Thoughts?
Looks great, has a good payload and tow rating. Disappointed there is no diesel option, but at the same time, the 2.7 will hopefully get the job done. Love the HP and TQ numbers for the High Output version.

Since I have a 2022, I probably won't be in the market for one, but hopefully it's a solid offering.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Agreed pixAl, first off I have 2021. Same deal. Not in market for one. Probably because I have the diesel here is my point: I know they state it has more torque. But the gasser peak torque I believe is north of 3000 RPMs. Our Diesel peak Torque around 1600 rpms. Gasser is noiser. I personally bought the long box for larger footprint for towing my camper. New generation does not offer. Is it a good looking truck with great improvement, I think so. Happy I got in on baby Mac. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Agreed pixAl, first off I have 2021. Same deal. Not in market for one. Probably because I have the diesel here is my point: I know they state it has more torque. But the gasser peak torque I believe is north of 3000 RPMs. Our Diesel peak Torque around 1600 rpms. Gasser is nosier. I personally bought the long box for larger footprint for towing my camper. New generation does not offer. Is it a good looking truck with great improvement, I think so. Happy I got in on baby Mac. Just my opinion.
I'm exactly in your camp on this.

I just put it to my friends who tow with gassers this way, "towing with the 2.8 is just civilized". When traveling with a group when we hit a small incline their gassers are high RPM-ing and most of the time I don't even drop down a gear. The diesel just hums along at a nice quiet pace. Also even though diesel was $1 a gallon more, my buddy's (who's trailer is the same as mine) new echo F-150 cost him $37 more to fill going the same distance.

I'm am bummed that GM killed off the 2.8 it's the perfect size power plant for these trucks. That being said I will probably keep this truck a long time for that very reason.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
100 percent. As a younger man I used to love love that sound of a gasser. As a older man I love that quite growl or should I say humming of my diesel. Low and slow, but strong. I pull camper. Just my opinion. Not many down shifting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm exactly in your camp on this.

I just put it to my friends who tow with gassers this way, "towing with the 2.8 is just civilized". When traveling with a group when we hit a small incline their gassers are high RPM-ing and most of the time I don't even drop down a gear. The diesel just hums along at a nice quiet pace. Also even though diesel was $1 a gallon more, my buddy's (who's trailer is the same as mine) new echo F-150 cost him $37 more to fill going the same distance.

I'm am bummed that GM killed off the 2.8 it's the perfect size power plant for these trucks. That being said I will probably keep this truck a long time for that very reason.
I fully agree here. This is my first diesel powered truck, and I've been missing out by not getting one sooner. It's quiet while towing and the fuel economy is insanely good.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think it looks ok. Not in market to replace my '17 Diesel yet, only has 63,000 miles. Have had a couple of minor issues with engine,(injector and air leak/cat.) about $3-4k in expense. Cheaper to pay the bill then go out and buy a new truck.
I only wish I had a little more payload for some other stuff to take out on my long summer trips. When its time to replace this truck it will be to a Full Size Diesel, prob 3500. Will most likely have the same 5k trailer. Then I will still want more payload.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
24Travel you also nailed by biggest complaint on my truck. To understand your true payload check inside driver side door jam. I only have 1,150 lbs of payload. Air bags do help but does not increase payload. You must do your homework when purchasing a travel trailer. If I keep enjoying the travel trailer thing I will jump up to Heavy Duty 2500 or 3500. I am not convinced the half tons are that much better.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can put 6000# for my truck.1200# GCWR On my last trip I had it at the scales:
Steer Axel 2640#
Drive Axel 3360#
Trailer 5240#
GCW 11240#

So I am just under the max. every thing feels comfortable for me at those weights. I do load a 3500watt Generator, 2.5 gal diesel, and a extra def to add weight to the truck to make it more stable. I definitely will not be in a 1/2 ton, Full Size HD for me. Lacks payload and diesel. I have found they cost a little more, but the benefits for towing outweigh the cost of ownership.

Also for S&G I decided to add up my fuel cost for my 57 day summer trip. I traveled about 6200 miles and fuel cost was about $1900.00. Sounds like a lot but this was all in California, Oregon and Washington. It was also only about $4-500.00 more then last years trip of 55days to Colorado, N Dakota and Montana.

PS: For you younger ones out there S&G stands for Shits and Giggles.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts