Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I've been lurking on the forum for a few weeks now, and since I just purchased my truck I was hoping to get some advice on what to buy next. I picked up some weather tech floor mats, and a tonneau cover. I've heard good things about oil catch cans, done some light research on tuning (I live in metro Detroit so I'd likely go with GDE) and am still in the period where I can purchase an extended warranty. Any advice on what to pick up next? Also my bad if this should be in another subforum.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
A catch can is a great idea. Prevent and BMS are the two that come to mind on a good one to choose. You don’t want that oily crap going through your intake.

GDE, ADP or Duramax Tuner, or Hackman’s Customs are all good emissions intact tuning options. Service is usually the main selling point since they all have good tunes. I’m preferential to Hackman’s as I have his but to each his own.

Those are probably the 2 main things that are a must for our trucks. Everything else is dependent on what you plan to do with the truck and your lifestyle.

·
Super Moderator
389 Posts
This may sound silly, but just drive and enjoy it. Take a road trip. These things are great on long runs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. @oak1971 I've had plenty of fun with it already, already planning out some long distance trips with the wife (she's never been a fan of my beautiful yet boring Corolla). A guy I work with is considering a Silverado, and I wowed him with the minimax today I think. It's a neat "little" truck.

@Burgess159 I've been leaning towards a catch can from Prevent, though I might do more research before I actually pull the trigger. More importantly though, how do you feel about tunes, specifically the Hackman one that you have? I'm of the opinion that they're necessary, and I'll be doing one once the basic warranty period is up on my truck, but while I wait I'd like to collect opinions. My brother in law and his brother are diesel mechanics and both immediately said ADP when I said I was considering tuning. Meanwhile I live close to GDE, so path of least resistance... Thoughts?

More related to this subforum, are there any quality of life type purchases I should consider? I expect to be hauling a small camper eventually, and I'd like to make the truck last as long as possible. I got (what I consider) a great price on my truck so I'm hoping to spend a little towards making it last.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. @oak1971 I've had plenty of fun with it already, already planning out some long distance trips with the wife (she's never been a fan of my beautiful yet boring Corolla). A guy I work with is considering a Silverado, and I wowed him with the minimax today I think. It's a neat "little" truck.

@Burgess159 I've been leaning towards a catch can from Prevent, though I might do more research before I actually pull the trigger. More importantly though, how do you feel about tunes, specifically the Hackman one that you have? I'm of the opinion that they're necessary, and I'll be doing one once the basic warranty period is up on my truck, but while I wait I'd like to collect opinions. My brother in law and his brother are diesel mechanics and both immediately said ADP when I said I was considering tuning. Meanwhile I live close to GDE, so path of least resistance... Thoughts?

More related to this subforum, are there any quality of life type purchases I should consider? I expect to be hauling a small camper eventually, and I'd like to make the truck last as long as possible. I got (what I consider) a great price on my truck so I'm hoping to spend a little towards making it last.
For the tunes:

All contact with any supplier is on the phone, email, text or Facebook messenger. So really, all are close. Unless you actually went to GDE’s shop. I personally don’t like the idea of a one-size-fits-all-applicatons tune like they have. I like multiple tunes for the situation your in, specifically less HP while towing to keep the motor cool with different shift patterns, or more HP that is refined for better fuel economy on a sport economy tune. Others can explain how GDE’s tune works or adapts When toeing, but I still don’t like the idea.

ADP and Hackman used to be partners who have since split up. So you’ll find older ADP trucks with Hackman tunes. I bought mine before they became partners. Now, ADP has their own in house tunes. ADP and Hackman’s are 4 tune programs. You can get a DSP4 switch to switch on the fly or just connect the Autocal and switch in 1 minute.

I also don’t like GDE because they have played dirty trying to discredit others before, primarily Hackman, but Hackman hasn’t totally blameless I’m doing the same back. ADP is the only one who never got into the mess. ADP and Hackman have great customer service. I can’t speak for GDE.

As for towing, you may consider tow mirrors from Boost Auto. They would really help to see. Also, I would suggest finding a 5w40 oil that is Dexos2 certified. The only one I used to know of was Valvoline SynPower MST. It’s not the best, but for a D2 oil it’s the only one you can probably run since you would still be emissions intact. A 5w40 oil offers more protection for your engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey everyone,

I've been lurking on the forum for a few weeks now, and since I just purchased my truck I was hoping to get some advice on what to buy next. I picked up some weather tech floor mats, and a tonneau cover. I've heard good things about oil catch cans, done some light research on tuning (I live in metro Detroit so I'd likely go with GDE) and am still in the period where I can purchase an extended warranty. Any advice on what to pick up next? Also my bad if this should be in another subforum.
Console organizer on Amazon is a must have

·
Registered
6 Posts
A catch can is a great idea. Prevent and BMS are the two that come to mind on a good one to choose. You don’t want that oily crap going through your intake.

GDE, ADP or Duramax Tuner, or Hackman’s Customs are all good emissions intact tuning options. Service is usually the main selling point since they all have good tunes. I’m preferential to Hackman’s as I have his but to each his own.

Those are probably the 2 main things that are a must for our trucks. Everything else is dependent on what you plan to do with the truck and your lifestyle.
Burgess you seem to be very knowledgeable on with these diesel trucks. I put on the 4switch Duramaxtuner and love it. I’m a Rookie when it comes to diesel just always wanted one so I purchased ZR2 2018 looking on keeping it running strong I’m not familiar with a oil catch can and anything else I may install on this truck to keep it strong and possibly gain more miles. I’m at 33,000 miles now. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts