Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have managed to bend my rear leafs using my Colorado as a water truck. I have since installed a set of air bags. But I would still like to replace my springs with a good quality set of replacements. 1’ of lift would be fine also as I have a front living kit already and usually keep 40 psi in the bags.

I was looking at the OME heavy load rear springs with the xtra leaf. Anyone have any experience with them For the Colorado? In the past I owned a leaf sprung Jeep with 2” OME heavy load springs sprung over the axles. I really abused that Jeep in the rocks and such with severe axle wrap. But I also didn’t own the Jeep for longer then a few years to know how the leafs held up.

Any other recommendations like maybe Deavers?

This truck is an off grid work truck. I haul 2,200 lbs of water in the bed at times, tow small excavators and dozers also trailers full of firewood and logs. It’s not uncommon to be towing 8k But not far never more then 20 mi at any time.

Dave.

· Registered
96 Posts
Boring Dave, I hope it works out for you but are you really putting over 2,000 pounds in that bed? Max payload is like 1,500 pounds. You are going to bust that truck in half if you do this with any frequency regardless of springs. Not trying to be that guy just trying to throw caution in the wind and save you bigger issues. I would be so concerned towing over Max tow short distance as you point out. The payload however is a big red flag.

· Registered
96 Posts
I was trying to be nice. I stay on this site because I have had honest people on this site talk me down 5ft on camper and weight. Dave the weights you are talking about are off the reservation for these trucks. Limptris cuit is right. Hell 2,200 pounds would be alot in a 3/4 ton. I am all for folks advising potential fixes and maximizing these trucks potential but you have to stay within manufacturer limits. Just my humble 52 year old opinion.

· Registered
5 Posts
I would go with a M66 Deaver spring set. These are a +2" empty and +1.5" at 450lbs. Add a set of Sumo springs, they can be had in 1K, 1.4K, 1.5K and 1.8K @ 50% compression. While you are going to be over GVRW, if you exercise due caution you should be fine.

· Registered
40 Posts
I have managed to bend my rear leafs using my Colorado as a water truck. I have since installed a set of air bags. But I would still like to replace my springs with a good quality set of replacements. 1’ of lift would be fine also as I have a front living kit already and usually keep 40 psi in the bags.

I was looking at the OME heavy load rear springs with the xtra leaf. Anyone have any experience with them For the Colorado? In the past I owned a leaf sprung Jeep with 2” OME heavy load springs sprung over the axles. I really abused that Jeep in the rocks and such with severe axle wrap. But I also didn’t own the Jeep for longer then a few years to know how the leafs held up.

Any other recommendations like maybe Deavers?

This truck is an off grid work truck. I haul 2,200 lbs of water in the bed at times, tow small excavators and dozers also trailers full of firewood and logs. It’s not uncommon to be towing 8k But not far never more then 20 mi at any time.

Dave.i

My springs sagged to the dismay of many here who were more than rude. With a lot less than 2000 lbs. I installed riderite air bags which worked great for a while. I have since ordered a set of Alcan springs in Colorado. I have not installed due to unexpected life events but plan on soon.

· Registered
22 Posts
I would go with a M66 Deaver spring set. These are a +2" empty and +1.5" at 450lbs. Add a set of Sumo springs, they can be had in 1K, 1.4K, 1.5K and 1.8K @ 50% compression. While you are going to be over GVRW, if you exercise due caution you should be fine.
Adding springs with higher capacity doesn't change the axle rating or the frame rating. OP is seriously overloading this truck. He will not be fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts