Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Colorado 2.8L. I see on other posts guys talking about how often there truck Regens. How do you know the truck is going through a regen? I have never seen any message that a Regen is happening. Is there some setting I have to change or ?? Thanks. By the way I love the truck 62,000 miles and a lot of them pulling a 5,000 lb toy hauler around Indiana and Michigan. I did the duramax tune and it runs great with great mileage pulling the trailer 16-18 MPG.

· Registered
272 Posts
The regen message that shows up on the dash is a warning because the regen has been interrupted too many times and the soot level in the DPF has reached a second, higher threshold. When regens are completing normally you won't see any message, the only way to know a regen is happening (short of watching the regen status with an OBD-II scantool) is to watch for...

• High idle RPM when stopped in D, like at a light. Truck will idle around 900RPM instead of the usual 750RPM mark.
  • Noticing that your instant fuel economy is down 3-5MPG.
  • Noticing the smell of hot metal and potentially a slight burning smell when you get out of the truck, especially if you park in a garage.

Regens are meant to be transparent, so the fact that you haven't noticed when they're happening means they're working as designed. They happen roughly once every tank of fuel or every other tank of fuel depending on the tune.

· Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2018 Colorado 2.8L. I see on other posts guys talking about how often there truck Regens. How do you know the truck is going through a regen? I have never seen any message that a Regen is happening. Is there some setting I have to change or ?? Thanks. By the way I love the truck 62,000 miles and a lot of them pulling a 5,000 lb toy hauler around Indiana and Michigan. I did the duramax tune and it runs great with great mileage pulling the trailer 16-18 MPG.
Any pics of the Toy Hauler?

· Registered
21 Posts
Greetings back to you. It's a great sport for a 72 year old. My son and 3 grandsons ride with me in a club. Www.motatrials.com
Looks like a Beta in the back there. I have a Beta 300-4t and a '99 Montesa 315 2t that needs a refresh. My kids rode when they were younger, started on OSETs, but they're in college now. I hope they'll come back to the sport when they can afford their own bikes.

· Registered
20 Posts
You won't typically get a message telling you when it's in Regen. Unlike my old 2016 F250 which does give a message to "keep driving, cleaning exhaust". The biggest sign is a smell like burning oil or plastic coming out from under the truck especially if you park in a garage or closed space. I think the only way you will get a message is if the truck HAS to regen; too much idle time or too many interrupted regens.

· Registered
56 Posts
When in regen it notes "ACT"
If nothing else it's entertaining

Cyclocomputer Measuring instrument Gadget Font Watch

· Registered
715 Posts
When in regen it notes "ACT"
If nothing else it's entertaining

View attachment 9446
What I find interesting is when towing if you dig into the go pedal too deep it will pause the regen, if you shift out of drive it will pause, if you stop and idle too long same thing. I really like the i-Dash for monitoring lots of good info in a small package.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.