Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 diesel with 40k miles, no tune, no mods. I like the truck and plan to keep it for a long time. Current powertrain warranty runs until 60k. I'm considering buying an extended warranty to 100k. Have any of you experienced significant failures (not attributed to mods or abuse) with your trucks? I can't decide if the warranty price is worth the odds of needing it. Extended warranty covers all systems, not just powertrain.
Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Buy the GM Ally Major Guard warranty - Mine is covered until 136K and it was 2G’s, well worth the peace of mind. My biggest worry is emissions and computers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
In my 2018 im tuned sport/economy since 4k boring miles and now i have 59xxx fun miles and i never had a problem.
i recommended using the money toward a tune instead of the warranry!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Buy the GM Ally Major Guard warranty - Mine is covered until 136K and it was 2G’s, well worth the peace of mind. My biggest worry is emissions and computers.
Do you have a link to the actual terms, conditions, payment timing? When did you buy it, and with how many miles? Sorry for the "verify" theme here, but US Fidelis perpetrated their white collar crimes from near us, in St. Louis. Both of the brothers are now incarcerated, but I can see a whole new generation of fly by nighters starting to advertise again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2017 diesel with 40k miles, no tune, no mods. I like the truck and plan to keep it for a long time. Current powertrain warranty runs until 60k. I'm considering buying an extended warranty to 100k. Have any of you experienced significant failures (not attributed to mods or abuse) with your trucks? I can't decide if the warranty price is worth the odds of needing it. Extended warranty covers all systems, not just powertrain.
Thanks!
Get one. I have a 2016 with 130,900 miles and had to replace the transmission at 101000 miles because it had a rear seal leak that never visualized and by the time symptoms started, it was too late. There is no warning light for low fluid on the trans. My extended warranty didn’t cover the repair because it was a seal leak.....$4300 out of pocket.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Turns out I can't get one anyway. I called them and asked about verification of routine maintenance which I do myself. I explained I have all the receipts purchasing Dexos 2 oil and A/C Delco filters. They said no. Maintenance must be done by a licensed repair facility. If not, they can deny claims.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Get one. I have a 2016 with 130,900 miles and had to replace the transmission at 101000 miles because it had a rear seal leak that never visualized and by the time symptoms started, it was too late. There is no warning light for low fluid on the trans. My extended warranty didn’t cover the repair because it was a seal leak.....$4300 out of pocket.
Precisely why I asked for the nitty gritty on another warranty being touted in these fora. But sorry for the big bill. Reading these docs is a slog, by design.

But my leak experience - considerable after 23 years of '95 K2500 ownership - never involved nonvisualization. Rather, I ended up fixing them all, even when the leak rate was such that others would have shrugged them off.

Folks, check your driveways. Check your street fronts. Crawl under there in dry weather, Feel around....

·
Registered
290 Posts
Turns out I can't get one anyway. I called them and asked about verification of routine maintenance which I do myself. I explained I have all the receipts purchasing Dexos 2 oil and A/C Delco filters. They said no. Maintenance must be done by a licensed repair facility. If not, they can deny claims.
Just to clarify, you could not get a warranty because PAST maintenance was not professionally documented? I have no desire to X warranty, but even if I did, I would be even more SOL than you. My maint record is an excel spreadsheet. A few purchases are linked in it, but certainly not every (factory spec) quart of oil, every (factory spec) filter, etc...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to clarify, you could not get a warranty because PAST maintenance was not professionally documented? I have no desire to X warranty, but even if I did, I would be even more SOL than you. My maint record is an excel spreadsheet. A few purchases are linked in it, but certainly not every (factory spec) quart of oil, every (factory spec) filter, etc...
I keep an excel sheet also backed with scanned receipts. They said not good enough.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also keep an excel spread sheet, and have some receipts. Wonder if a third party warranty service would accept it? I'm close to 70k miles in a 2017 and haven't had any issues. Do most of my own maintenance just ahead of schedule.
If you're worried about the transmission, it is a model that GM has used for some years prior and has proven to be fairly reliable. It's not a brand new design or anything that might have unknown bugs to work out. Same with the engine, VM motori has been making this 2.8l diesel for a while now. The emissions stuff is what the big worry is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Precisely why I asked for the nitty gritty on another warranty being touted in these fora. But sorry for the big bill. Reading these docs is a slog, by design.

But my leak experience - considerable after 23 years of '95 K2500 ownership - never involved nonvisualization. Rather, I ended up fixing them all, even when the leak rate was such that others would have shrugged them off.

Folks, check your driveways. Check your street fronts. Crawl under there in dry weather, Feel around....
I NEVER HAD A PUDDLE FROM MY TRANS LEAK....NEVER

·
Registered
9 Posts
Do you have a link to the actual terms, conditions, payment timing? When did you buy it, and with how many miles? Sorry for the "verify" theme here, but US Fidelis perpetrated their white collar crimes from near us, in St. Louis. Both of the brothers are now incarcerated, but I can see a whole new generation of fly by nighters starting to advertise again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just do a web search on GM Ally Major Guard, there are several GM dealers offering it on line. I’ve owned 3 of the twins, bought the first warranty on line near the end of the factory warranty period and the other two at purchase

·
Registered
290 Posts
I NEVER HAD A PUDDLE FROM MY TRANS LEAK....NEVER
"I NEVER HAD A PUDDLE FROM MY TRANS LEAK....NEVER"

Ok, but your referenced "visualization" involves more than puddles. You can easily leak to failure with no "puddles". Little drops, spread out over your driving range, over months, can easily be missed. That's why I ended my last post with "Crawl under there in dry weather, Feel around.... ".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts