Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2019 Duramax Canyon Denali came with P255-55-R20 wheels/tires. I want to change or add more aggressive winter tires the same size as my spare 265-70-R16. Would this affect my vehicle in anyway regarding the warranty or speedometer? Appreciate your response. Thanks

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I mean, it might affect your ability to turn and even possibly rub when you turn. I figure aside from the ZR2, all 4x4 trucks have the same dimensions in the wheel well. ZR's just sit higher so I guess that gives them more clearance there, not sure, I don't know a great lot about tires and lifts and such. But anyways, my 2017 Canyon AT came with 255/55/17 Duratrac's on it. When it was time to replace, I put 255/65/17 Mastercraft AXT's on it (just more in that size range to choose from). I do believe every now and then when you turn really sharp, you can hear it rub, but it's very occasional at best.

To your question though. If I did my tire research right, and from past knowledge, your current tire width 255mm. The 55 is the aspect ratio of the height of the tire's sidewall. So, 255 x 55% = 140.25mm sidewall height. You go and put a 265/70 on there though, you now have a 265mm width, and the sidewall height is 265 x 70% = 185.5mm. So, your tires are taller and wider than before. I would say yes your speedo will change and you'll probably have rubbing issues. Unless you lift the truck. Warranty though, not sure. I think if you look on the truck, it tells you what sizes are permitted, either in the owner's manual or on the sill plate when you open the driver's door.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can go to this site to see the effects of different tire/wheel combinations against your "stock" tire size:

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

You can go to this site (don't need to purchase) and enter your specific vehicle, wheel you're using (include offset - this is a major factor for fitment), and tire size you want to use. This website will tell you if there is a fitment issue - it won't tell you "specifically" what this problem is, like rubbing inside of fender-well while turned or rubbing edge of fender well. Other factors are if your truck is Lifted or Lowered.

https://www.discounttire.com/

Your truck probably isn't anywhere as finicky as my car.

·
Registered
55 Posts
OP - are you suggesting buying smaller diameter rims, in order to increase your sidewall height? Or are you suggesting putting those tall sidewall tires on your 20” rims. Per Burgess’ reply above, on 20” rims, you’d grow your diameter by nearly 2” and that’s probably not going to fit without rubbing. The ColoradoFans forum documents the necessary suspension lift that you’d need to put a 2” larger diameter tire in your wheel wells. Generally, you’re looking at a 1-3/4” front suspension level lift to help avoid any tire rub. Some might suggest you can nearly get away without the lift, if you trim some fender plastic and/or don’t mind some rub.

https://www.coloradofans.com/threads/how-to-lift-your-colorado-or-canyon-and-what-tires-fit.397567/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts