Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

RAM 1500 Diesel or Chevy Colorado Diesel?

29K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  oak1971 
#1 ·
Has anyone tossed around the idea of getting the RAM 1500 Diesel, but decided against it? The RAM 1500 Diesel is a great truck so I'm curious what was the deciding factor, or factors, that made people go with the Colorado Diesel instead? Cuz it's a Chevy doesn't count :) *even though thats a damn good reason

#3 ·
I think the power to weight ratio is so much better with twins after driving them both. My past history with Dodge is not good too much dealer repair time vs work time. I build docks and marinas here in the mountains east Tennessee and put trucks to the test. The larger Dmaxes hold up great. The new Colorado dmax is for service.

#4 ·
Did test drive a year old crew cab EcoDiesel with 15000 miles prior to buying the Colorado. Price was about the same either way. Nice, but felt way too big. Have since learned the EcoDiesel takes something like 11 quarts of synthetic oil every change. Ouch! Even disregarding that, I think I did right.

#6 ·
I'm in the same boat... got burned by Chrysler on my last Jeep, wouldn't touch anything they make.

Other than that... size. I don't quite want a full-size truck any more. The Colorado is more nimble and less intimidating for my wife to occasionally drive, but with the diesel it's still beefy enough when I need a truck with some muscle.

#7 ·
Without inciting a brand riot, you have to consider the FIAT affiliation as being a liability. It is a FIAT engine and their less than flattering reputation is not limited to this continent. The size and your needs would be other considerations. My personal experience with that OEM has left a forever sour taste, and one I will never shake. But I know dozens of others who love them.

#11 ·
I purchased the Colorado Diesel after test driving and researching both it and the 1500 Ram. The Ram I priced out was a bit more expensive than the Chevy. A few other factors played in my decision, I owned a Jeep Liberty Diesel, which was the most problematic vehicle I ever owned, and Chrysler's service was horrible. The Same brand of diesel (VM Motori) albeit a 4 cylinder in the jeep, was a turn off for me. The other deciding factor is that my father in law was a GM retiree, which helped with pricing.

#13 ·
Eco-diesel engines have a severe timing problem, so bad I heard they stopped production for a while. Apparently, the timing gear is just pressed onto the shaft, there is no link pin of any kind. People who likely throttled it too hard slip the timing gear and cause a huge amount of damage. There are a bunch of you tube videos of the inside of engines, and one guy in WA state who says he has a permanent fix for it. $4,000 for the fix though. Interesting videos for sure. Dodge is probably the worst for service when problems arise.

#14 ·
A neighbor up the road from me bought a 1500 EcoDiesel about a year ago. I don't see him much to talk, but about 6 months ago he was raving about the thing. I noticed two weeks ago, that truck is gone and a Ram 2500 Cummins is in his driveway. Problems? Have not spoke to him to find out why, but makes me wonder.

#15 ·
In Laws have an ecodiesel that they have had for about 2 years now. They loved it when they bought it but they drive all over the country towing atvs and going riding. It still gets the mileage but they said it is starting to show its wear when towing and for how much towing they do, they are also leaning towards a 2500.

#16 ·
Without inciting a brand riot, you have to consider the FIAT affiliation as being a liability. It is a FIAT engine and their less than flattering reputation is not limited to this continent. The size and your needs would be other considerations. My personal experience with that OEM has left a forever sour taste, and one I will never shake. But I know dozens of others who love them.
The motor is actually a VW motor granted it has ties with fiat there is no relation other than that fiat had rights to the motor too that's the only similarities

#19 ·
Didn't read the other posts so this may have been mentioned. I was in the market for the Dodge eco diesel until I found out they are prone to blowing up. There is a design flaw in the engine. The gear on the cam can slip causing the timing to get all messed up and then the engine will grenade. People has had it happen as low as 1200 miles.

Unless this is something they have addressed i would avoid the eco diesel

#20 ·
Still have last truck, a Dade Power Wagon. 265,000 km. New motor at 140,000 km. Wheel bearings, ball joints, other steering stuff, camshaft, lifters etch at 260.000 km. Crap mileage. Worked well in Alberta oilfields when it ran. Really poor used value. Kept for the odd job back in the patch.
Colorado is easy to drive, park. Far more comfortable, quieter, better fuel economy.
Eco diesel deliveries stopped for regulatory confirmation when I bought but Colorado was really the only choice for me.
Now, if Toyota had a comparable diesel.......

#22 ·
Now it's Fiat-Peugeot. Even more confidence inspiring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.