Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2017 colorado duramax. After 82,000 miles, I'm having to replace to rear differencial for a second time. No after market rears. I never had a problem like this in a chevy truck before. I'm replacing it with a used one now. I'm a little disappointed with Chevy and loosing confidence. Anyone experiencing to same issue?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its second time the diff had gone out in it. First after 22000miles. Now again at 82000. There's something wrong with the original diff. Right now I'm replacing it with a used one. I've never had a problem with ant trar diff. I'm afraid to take it to the dealer. No faith in Chriswell

·
Registered
102 Posts
Can you elaborate on the "gone out" part? bearings, seals, carrier, pinion, spider gears and so on.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This was the breakdown after 22000. At 82000, they've told me its not covered under warranty. I had a local mechanic look at it. He was going to replace the bearings etc but with it having the same issue, I'd rather replace it and try to avoid it happening again.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
This was the breakdown after 22000. At 82000, they've told me its not covered under warranty. I had a local mechanic look at it. He was going to replace the bearings etc but with it having the same issue, I'd rather replace it and try to avoid it happening again.
Starts to make you think that there's a defect in the housing causing a misalignment and maybe side-loading the bearings or something like that.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Bearings are galled and metal in the fluid. Yes there's a misalignment. Chevy has told me they wouldn't warranty it. I'll fix it, sell it and cut my losses.
honestly, if the Rear axle is the only issue, I would try to find a complete use one from a wreckage yard, get it completely looked over and continue to drive it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
On all three of my last new trucks the rear diff has been low on fluid right off the lot. One very low. I have the dealer check all the levels before i drive off the lot.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Starts to make you think that there's a defect in the housing causing a misalignment and maybe side-loading the bearings or something like that.
Would there be extra metal on the mag plug when inspected/cleaned during a fluid change? Yes, my plug had almost no material stuck to it during my change at ~45K miles, and I'm selfishly hoping that I don't have the same problem.

But I also empathize with Smith. Seems like he should have redress if he bought a bent housing, no matter the formal warranty terms.

·
Registered
237 Posts
On all three of my last new trucks the rear diff has been low on fluid right off the lot. One very low. I have the dealer check all the levels before i drive off the lot.
My 2018 CCLB Z71 was full of fairly clean fluid, when I changed it at ~45K miles. No larger claim, just one more data point.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts