Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I'm looking for some feedback on a potential purchase.

There's a 16 Canyon near me for sale that is has a "certified rebuilt title." From a company that specializes in rebuilds.

So far here's the info I've gathered:
It was hit in the drivers side
No mechanical damage
Frame on the left had "a minor pull" to straighten back out. That's the one that has me most concerned.

First off, is it even worth considering this? Given the accident ?

If it's worth pursuing how much $$ would be reasonable? They're asking 25900 CAD. It's the All Terrain model with 34K kms.

I'll try to attach some photos here.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Less than $20k USD for just over 21k miles. Sounds like worth looking at, at least. Most used trucks of higher miles than that got for closer to $25-30 USD I think.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just realize (at least in the states) that a salvage title will make it hard to get financing and an extended 3rd party warranty. It will likely make it harder to re-sell as you see how you are skeptical now.

If none of that matters, make your best deal and drive the dickens out of it!

Dave

·
Registered
201 Posts
I formerly rebuilt wrecked trucks, primarily Ford Rangers. They were super easy to work on. I bought a Mazda B3000 (Ranger in Mazda attire) that had 21 miles on it for $6600. Still had the plastic on the seats and had not had dealer prep done. It was hit in the back, bent the frame, and broke a spring. I found a bed and bumper the same color, bought a used spring, and the frame shop charged me $300 to straighten it. All in I had less than $9000 invested. Bear in mind this was in 2003 and retail on that truck was in the low 20s. I always bought the high trim levels to build and wrecked base models to be used for parts. I really enjoyed it. Doing the work myself saved a fortune. If you are buying it to keep until the wheels fall off, they can be a great buy. I drove it for 30,000 miles and gave it to my girlfriend when we split up. Last time I saw her it had over 100,000 miles on it and never needed a single repair. I rebuilt a 2001 Ranger for my Dad with 30,000 miles in 2002. I actually had to replace the frame on it, too twisted to repair. But, it didn’t need much else. He drove it until he died in 2008. I then kept it for a while and sold it at 65,000 miles in 2015. Only time it broke down was when a water pump went out. I spent about $8000 total on that one. I sold it in 2015 for $4000 to the first person that looked at it and didn’t even try to negotiate.I still see it running around town. However, that one was purchased from a rental car company, no salvage title issued as they were essentially self insured. Having a rebuilt title hurts resale value a lot. If you get one, get it to keep and use. it doesn’t take much to total out some vehicles. Sometimes the damage is not bad at all and there is no reason they can’t be safe and reliable. I’d ask for before pictures and want to know exactly how things were repaired.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts