Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
They did it on my 2016. Now it's kind of slow.:cry:
Well that's concerning for sure! I'm sure when they do my next oil change under maintenance they will flash it so I won't be in any hurry to get it done. Probably the method to keep it from regening so much and not filling up the soot trap is to put in less fuel....

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just got the recall notice in the mail. I am glad I looked on here before taking it to the dealer, because I run an intact tune from GDE. I am going to reach out to see if they can update my tune to work with this recall flash, or I may never go to a dealership again :cautious::unsure:...

·
Registered
55 Posts
@oak1971 I assume they reflashed the entire ECM, does your Duramax Tuner still work, or is that out of the question now?

@Arcforce What tune were your running and has the company been able to assist you?

·
Super Moderator
420 Posts
I didn't try it yet. I am not the original owner as I bought the truck used and the duramax tuner was installed already. It had 4 tunes and a switch, but I assume it was all wiped out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just got notice from GMC today ...2016 Canyon. Scheduled Friday am at GMC dealer . "THE ENGINE CONTROL MODULE {ECM}" in these vehicles may not adequately diagnose or illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (Check Engine Light) when frequent regeneration of diesel particle filter occurs"
takes 35 minutes.
Interesting sounds like check engine light is not coming on when a malfunction.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I didn't try it yet. I am not the original owner as I bought the truck used and the duramax tuner was installed already. It had 4 tunes and a switch, but I assume it was all wiped out.
They should track by your VIN, I would give them a call.

·
Super Moderator
420 Posts
Last I talked with Calibrated Power they were very helpful, but said a patch was likely months out. That was about 2 weeks back.

·
Registered
174 Posts
FYI, for those who live there and managed to get tuned, CA won't let an owner register a vehicle with an open emission recall on it, so CA peeps have no choice.

I received the same letter. We "should" be able to reload the stock settings, take it to the dealer, have them flash it, then save the updated GM settings and then overwrite/re-load the tune file right there in the parking lot before driving home. My truck has been an EGR free zone for 30K miles now. Even driving 10 miles with EGR on bugs me at this point 😁

I am not terribly motivated to do this though. Don't want to take any minuscule chance of not being able to reload the GDE tune and then not being able to receive support to fix that kind of issue. To be honest though, it is mostly because I am lazy and don't want to. Will do it if the state forces my hand at registration time, but to date CO is not CA, although the state is working on that just as fast as it can...

·
Registered
101 Posts
I bought my truck certified used. I thought GM didn't let dealers resell as certified used if there were any outstanding recalls. Guess GM doesn't check. I don't mind so much getting the recall done as I'm stock. What annoys me more is having to go to the dealer after I just bought the truck.....

·
Registered
174 Posts
Plus the updated settings will make the ECM more likely to throw codes. That is not exactly a win for the owner.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Plus the updated settings will make the ECM more likely to throw codes. That is not exactly a win for the owner.
More likely to throw a code how? I thought it was suppose to just do a better job of detecting when a regen is needed and more importantly when it is not?

·
Registered
174 Posts
More likely to throw a code how? I thought it was suppose to just do a better job of detecting when a regen is needed and more importantly when it is not?
Just going based on history and GM's motivation to do this - they are being forced to make the system more sensitive to faults. In the past updated emissions related ECM updates have resulted in people on the COFans board reporting various emissions codes being thrown not long after the update. Coincidence? I think not.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just received this recall on Monday 4/13/2020 and it lists my VIN for my 2017 canyon. I use OBD fusion and an wifi elm327 from amazon. I created a dashboard to monitor many PID's while driving. One such is the Avg time between regens and another Normalized trigger for regen. These tell a story of my driving. First when doing significant highway driving the average is usually over 600 (minutes) when heavy city driving around 450 (minutes) on some trips it has gone to over 700 (minutes) since it is an average it is part of the story but combined with the trigger detail you can understand some behaviors, for instance on the highway, after a regen, the trigger normally resets to around 15, in a few minutes it reduces to 8%. However in the city, after a re-gen it settles at 22 and then stabilizes to 16%. If near a highway when I see regen (not every time) I will take the truck to the highway and set cruise on 65 for the regen, it then cleans better and sets back to 8%. While not scientific, it seems to help. My average mileage is 32 on highway and 28 in city with a 4x4 canyon (unless i tow). It frustrates me that GM is such a closed company full of crap. However that starts at the top and Mary needs to go, the fact that the GM had to be forced to build respirators shows her lack of concern for people.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just received this recall on Monday 4/13/2020 and it lists my VIN for my 2017 canyon. I use OBD fusion and an wifi elm327 from amazon. I created a dashboard to monitor many PID's while driving. One such is the Avg time between regens and another Normalized trigger for regen. These tell a story of my driving. First when doing significant highway driving the average is usually over 600 (minutes) when heavy city driving around 450 (minutes) on some trips it has gone to over 700 (minutes) since it is an average it is part of the story but combined with the trigger detail you can understand some behaviors, for instance on the highway, after a regen, the trigger normally resets to around 15, in a few minutes it reduces to 8%. However in the city, after a re-gen it settles at 22 and then stabilizes to 16%. If near a highway when I see regen (not every time) I will take the truck to the highway and set cruise on 65 for the regen, it then cleans better and sets back to 8%. While not scientific, it seems to help. My average mileage is 32 on highway and 28 in city with a 4x4 canyon (unless i tow). It frustrates me that GM is such a closed company full of crap. However that starts at the top and Mary needs to go, the fact that the GM had to be forced to build respirators shows her lack of concern for people.
You sort of read my mind with a question I was going to ask. I too use OBD Fusion (great little app, everyone should have it). My real intent is during towing to monitor EGT's, boost and oil/coolant temps but torque is fun to watch too.

In the diag PID list I'm also looking at ave time/distance between DPF regens. What I don't know and wanted to ask is, what PID and value is used to know when it's going to trigger a regen? I know there's a "normalized trigger for DPF regen" which you mention above but I'm not 100% sure what this tells me.

Other things I'm monitoring but don't really know what the difference is:
DPF Regen Status (this one I assume is on when a regen is in progress)
Nox Absorber regen status
NOx absorber desulfurization status

I really would like to know which one I can look at that will tell me when it's getting close to performing a regen. From the above it sounds like the normalized trigger since you mention it drops to 8-16% after regen. If correct, what % does it go up to before triggering a regen?

I believe it's actually triggered by before/after pressures of the DPF so I assume this percentage is a ratio or sorts to determine how sooted up it is?

Sorry, sort of rambled there.....

·
Super Moderator
420 Posts
Just as soon as warranty is up the DPF comes off and I find me a pirate tune.

·
Registered
174 Posts
You sort of read my mind with a question I was going to ask. I too use OBD Fusion (great little app, everyone should have it). My real intent is during towing to monitor EGT's, boost and oil/coolant temps but torque is fun to watch too.

In the diag PID list I'm also looking at ave time/distance between DPF regens. What I don't know and wanted to ask is, what PID and value is used to know when it's going to trigger a regen? I know there's a "normalized trigger for DPF regen" which you mention above but I'm not 100% sure what this tells me.

Other things I'm monitoring but don't really know what the difference is:
DPF Regen Status (this one I assume is on when a regen is in progress)
Nox Absorber regen status
NOx absorber desulfurization status

I really would like to know which one I can look at that will tell me when it's getting close to performing a regen. From the above it sounds like the normalized trigger since you mention it drops to 8-16% after regen. If correct, what % does it go up to before triggering a regen?

I believe it's actually triggered by before/after pressures of the DPF so I assume this percentage is a ratio or sorts to determine how sooted up it is?

Sorry, sort of rambled there.....
I agree, OBD Fusion is great! "DPF Soot Level" will tell you when it is going to regen. Here are the custom PIDs I am using.

Covid-19 boredom set in and I customized the OBD screen colors and fonts, here is a screenshot of that. Pre tune it went around 275 miles between regens, now with EGR turned off it goes 711 miles due to the hotter/cleaner combustion and lighter soot output.

Reactions: Coloradorob

·
Registered
94 Posts
that is a bummer. i wonder how many years of vehicles this applies to. i haven't received any notification for my 2017 yet.
I received one for my ‘17.
Haven‘t decided if I will take in as I am tuned.
Dont want to have to switch tunes back and forth after recall.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree, OBD Fusion is great! "DPF Soot Level" will tell you when it is going to regen. Here are the custom PIDs I am using.

View attachment 8672

Covid-19 boredom set in and I customized the OBD screen colors and fonts, here is a screenshot of that. Pre tune it went around 275 miles between regens, now with EGR turned off it goes 711 miles due to the hotter/cleaner combustion and lighter soot output.

View attachment 8674
OK, now I'm confused? I'm using OBD Fusion from my iPhone. I don't see a way to do what you did above, nor do I actually know what PID a sensor actually is.

·
Registered
174 Posts
OK, now I'm confused? I'm using OBD Fusion from my iPhone. I don't see a way to do what you did above, nor do I actually know what PID a sensor actually is.
Here are a few screen shots for ya.

Open OBD Fusion, it will open to Dashboard with your displays. Use the back arrow to tab from the display screen to this screen. Tap Settings:

In Settings, open User Defined PIDs, there will be a warning box, hit OK:

Now in User-Defined PIDs, tap the "triple dot" icon to open the editor. The screen here shows the custom ones I added under "Generic" whose formulas are listed in my prior post.

You can add Coolant and oil Temp under the GM tab too if you like. Transmission temp and trans gear did not work for me. No matter - the DIC gives us transmission temp anyway.

The readouts have to be added to the Dashboard one at a time.

PID editor open, you can add the values for the custom ones listed in my prior post. The one you want is DPF Soot Level" which will tell you where the DPF is at.

When it reaches 100%, it will regenerate at some point after. It does not necessarily regen right then and there, but it will.

Once you have a readout on your dashboard, you can press and hold it, this opens "Edit Display" which lets you customize the fonts, colors, etc. That can be a rabbit hole time suck, but I dig my display now 😄

This is on an Android phone, I imagine Apple is the same. This little $4 app is pretty amazing! Hope this helps!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Here are a few screen shots for ya.

Open OBD Fusion, it will open to Dashboard with your displays. Use the back arrow to tab from the display screen to this screen. Tap Settings:

View attachment 8677

In Settings, open User Defined PIDs, there will be a warning box, hit OK:

View attachment 8675

Now in User-Defined PIDs, tap the "triple dot" icon to open the editor. The screen here shows the custom ones I added under "Generic" whose formulas are listed in my prior post.

You can add Coolant and oil Temp under the GM tab too if you like. Transmission temp and trans gear did not work for me. No matter - the DIC gives us transmission temp anyway.

The readouts have to be added to the Dashboard one at a time.

View attachment 8676

PID editor open, you can add the values for the custom ones listed in my prior post. The one you want is DPF Soot Level" which will tell you where the DPF is at.

When it reaches 100%, it will regenerate at some point after. It does not necessarily regen right then and there, but it will.

View attachment 8678

Once you have a readout on your dashboard, you can press and hold it, this opens "Edit Display" which lets you customize the fonts, colors, etc. That can be a rabbit hole time suck, but I dig my display now 😄

This is on an Android phone, I imagine Apple is the same. This little $4 app is pretty amazing! Hope this helps!
Holy crap dude, I had no idea! That's unbelievable! Thanks so much.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts