Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
This is so cool and very easy to do, thanks again for this! For a $10 app and a $15 blue tooth OBDII plug-in from Amazon, everyone should have this! I see absolutely no reason to purchase a set of gauges.

Where did you learn how to do this? Is there documentation that I have been too lazy to look for and read? I’m not sure what it’s actually doing. What’s “C”, the actual value of PID 8B? It looks like you are normalizing to create a factor of min and max and then multiplying it by C? Is there no way to just calculate min/max for a percentage? I can see how you could spend all day on this….. I'm curious why you have your own user defined for DEF level, EGT and regen status? Aren't these available as standard PID's?

Here's what my dash now looks like for when I'm towing. It'll be good to know when I'm going to hit a regen while towing as I believe I had a regen when I was doing my towing MPG test a couple weeks ago. Do you know if there is a way to write a user PID to tell you "Miles since last Regen"? I know there’s a PID for average time and average mileage but I’d be curious to know exactly how many miles it’s been since my last regen.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Awesome! Somebody has been playing with this. :cool:

As for the formulas, there is a huge thread on the COFans board I also frequent for monitors. To be honest, I have little idea how these formulas work, I just copied some that were on the board.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Took an hour. They reset the parameters for the regen cycle and set the MAP Sensor to relearn. WHY it took an hour, I have no idea. Because the recall notice only reimburses the dealer for a total of .5 hours. Go figure.
Did you notice if your truck is running different, worse? better? Mpg the same? DPF usage same? my truck is running perfect and im worried they gonna screw it up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Here are a few screen shots for ya.

Open OBD Fusion, it will open to Dashboard with your displays. Use the back arrow to tab from the display screen to this screen. Tap Settings:

View attachment 8677

In Settings, open User Defined PIDs, there will be a warning box, hit OK:

View attachment 8675

Now in User-Defined PIDs, tap the "triple dot" icon to open the editor. The screen here shows the custom ones I added under "Generic" whose formulas are listed in my prior post.

You can add Coolant and oil Temp under the GM tab too if you like. Transmission temp and trans gear did not work for me. No matter - the DIC gives us transmission temp anyway.

The readouts have to be added to the Dashboard one at a time.

View attachment 8676

PID editor open, you can add the values for the custom ones listed in my prior post. The one you want is DPF Soot Level" which will tell you where the DPF is at.

When it reaches 100%, it will regenerate at some point after. It does not necessarily regen right then and there, but it will.

View attachment 8678

Once you have a readout on your dashboard, you can press and hold it, this opens "Edit Display" which lets you customize the fonts, colors, etc. That can be a rabbit hole time suck, but I dig my display now 😄

This is on an Android phone, I imagine Apple is the same. This little $4 app is pretty amazing! Hope this helps!
I have the OBDII and the free version of Fusion, but now that I better understand, from your posts, what information is available, I will work on your setup in this downtime period!

Last week I went in for the recall and had the assigned tech pull up the number of regens in the ECM since I bought it new out of the box. The readout was 29 regens in the 12,979 mi I have driven it (85 mi on the clock at purchase) for an average of 448 mi between regens.

According to the tech, this is well within design parameters considering about 80% of my driving is >45 mph.
I have noted the varying intervals recorded in this and other threads, so I expect that my emissions system is functioning properly. Any comments/advice from those more 'in tune' (pun intended!) with these issues would be appreciated.
As someone who pays close attention to noises, vibrations, OEM instruments and such, I have never had any idea as to when regens were taking place. That probably sounds strange to many of you.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The regen process is quite transparent to the driver. The only way to really notice is the reading in the instant fuel economy screen goes lower than expected, it idles a bit faster and after you park and shut it off, you happen to hear the ticking of the hot metal of the DPF cooling. Just driving down the road you would never know a BBQ is happening out back :LOL:

Reactions: Streamintrip

·
Super Moderator
384 Posts
The regen process is quite transparent to the driver. The only way to really notice is the reading in the instant fuel economy screen goes lower than expected, it idles a bit faster and after you park and shut it off, you happen to hear the ticking of the hot metal of the DPF cooling. Just driving down the road you would never know a BBQ is happening out back :LOL:
There is an odor.

·
Registered
169 Posts
For sure. If one pulls in the garage during a regen, you can smell it. Smells a bit like a leaky valve cover letting oil onto the manifold.

Reactions: Streamintrip

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got that recall notice for my 2019 right before I took it in for the (free dealer) oil change. The oil change and recall service took an hour and a half or so total. No apparent change in the truck behavior. That OBD Fusion app sounds pretty cool and is on my list to get. Thanks for mentioning that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Awesome! Somebody has been playing with this. :cool:

As for the formulas, there is a huge thread on the COFans board I also frequent for monitors. To be honest, I have little idea how these formulas work, I just copied some that were on the board.
Can you share which brand/model of OBDII device you purchased and did you get WiFi or Bluetooth? I run Apple so need iOS version. Thanks!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Can you share which brand/model of OBDII device you purchased and did you get WiFi or Bluetooth? I run Apple so need iOS version. Thanks!
I got this one, it is bluetooth, but there are others that will work as well. There are lower profile bluetooth OBDII devices out there. The length of this one does make it easy to put into the port, just don't think you are going to blindly stab at the parking brake with it installed. The price is right too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just a heads up to anyone with a tune on their truck. After this recall you will not be able to flash your tune back onto the truck. Your tuner can fix this by sending you an updated file. However if you live in the US they may not be able to help you. Ask me how I know.
So I just had mine deleted today and they removed the exhaust got the new flo pro on went to tune it came up with a code said locked ecm by gm so motor ops is having to rewrite a tune to override gm stupid new update!!!my emissions is scraped already so here I sit waiting!! What a mess!!! I shouldn’t of even listened to the dealer!!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Seems the latest updates have new security that the tuner has to work around, and in the US we get no more tuner support. In my mind that means my truck will never ever see the inside of a GM dealer...

·
Registered
9 Posts
So just did my recall and installed the new GDE EPA compliant tune. Worked flawlessly. Seems any new security has been worked around, at least by the GDE team.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm waiting for my first of 2 free oil changes to be needed, then I'll get this done. Great news about GDE putting out tunes again.

·
Super Moderator
384 Posts
I shall have to look into a new tune. Untuned life is a bore.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have the GDE tune purchased before they stopped selling in the US. I bought it early on but got nervous about the warranty. I also got their last update to the tune just in time. I wish I had purchased the trans tune considering all the shudder issues out there.

I have the tune and corresponding version of EFI live ready to go when the powertrain warranty expires. I will not be getting the recall done. I drive this truck mostly on the interstate but do tow fairly often. It is tough waiting... 18 months to go. I won’t reach 60,000 miles but it will be close to 50,000. I have the intact tune and off-road. I plan to try the intact one first and probably run it until emissions systems failures pop up, then delete. I have the AFE turbo back exhaust collecting dust in the basement.

·
Super Moderator
384 Posts
I have the OBDII and the free version of Fusion, but now that I better understand, from your posts, what information is available, I will work on your setup in this downtime period!

Last week I went in for the recall and had the assigned tech pull up the number of regens in the ECM since I bought it new out of the box. The readout was 29 regens in the 12,979 mi I have driven it (85 mi on the clock at purchase) for an average of 448 mi between regens.

According to the tech, this is well within design parameters considering about 80% of my driving is >45 mph.
I have noted the varying intervals recorded in this and other threads, so I expect that my emissions system is functioning properly. Any comments/advice from those more 'in tune' (pun intended!) with these issues would be appreciated.
As someone who pays close attention to noises, vibrations, OEM instruments and such, I have never had any idea as to when regens were taking place. That probably sounds strange to many of you.
I bought a OBD2 played with it once. Need to play with it again.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts