Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Colorado short bed and am very impressed with mileage and performance. My concern is we are planning to buy a tow behind toyhauler, about 28 foot and will do some winter travel/camping. I pulled a trailer that weighed 6000 pounds and, although the truck pulled it okay, I know the engine and tranny were being overworked. I could hold my on on steep grades but couldn't accelerate. I would like to boost the power/torque somehow but don't want to void my factory warrenty as I only have about 33,000 miles on it (two trips cross country). Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
188 Posts
There are some power modules that you can buy however I haven't heard any reviews about them.

Don't be a fool and get a K&N Filter or any CAI as it won't do anything on a stock truck.

And my opinion is that a 28' trailer is too big for these trucks. I wouldn't' consider towing anything bigger than 23' in a mid-size.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response. The 28 ft will be the largest we will consider but will also be a ToyHauler which tend to weigh a little less. The GVW we can tow is 7000 lb but I want to stay well under that if we can.
Thank you again.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Any emissions intact tuning will get you your desired power increase. However, it will void the warranty. DuramaxTuner is a good option, American Diesel Power is another good one. I would not fall for the sham of things such as the Pedal Commander or the aFe Scorcher thing; those are junk. And they'll probably void the warranty too. If you're going to do it, just go with the intact tuning from the above mentioned providers.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I also agree with CleverUserName: don't get a cold air intake, especially a K&N one. If you're worried about voiding your warranty by adding power, but want more power, then you should probably look at a full size 6.6 Duramax in a 2500HD. I don't suggest the new 3.0 Duramax in the 1500's as they aren't tested yet so I can't say anything on them: the 6.6 engine is tested and true.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a 2018 Colorado short bed and am very impressed with mileage and performance. My concern is we are planning to buy a tow behind toyhauler, about 28 foot and will do some winter travel/camping. I pulled a trailer that weighed 6000 pounds and, although the truck pulled it okay, I know the engine and tranny were being overworked. I could hold my on on steep grades but couldn't accelerate. I would like to boost the power/torque somehow but don't want to void my factory warrenty as I only have about 33,000 miles on it (two trips cross country). Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

My suggestion. Don't. Your engine you can ease by slowing down. Your tranny, not nearly so much. Time to at least investigate an F150 diesel. Not dissing Burgess159's idea about going full size Chev, but this is at least closer to what you probably bought your 2.8 for.

Weasel words. I'm not intricate in this Ford diesel and am only guessing that it doesn't have the MacGyvers GM put in the Chev 3.0's...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have also been looking at the toy haulers and you need to look real close at your tongue weight. I haven't found but one or two that fall below the 760lb rating in a toy hauler. Much heavier tongue weight to counteract 1/2-1 ton of weight at the rear of the trailer and those weights are all listed as unloaded. If you find one with usable room/weight within specs and will haul a utv I'd be surprised, maybe one atv or two bikes but your still looking at a 20 footer give or take to maintain recommended tongue weight fully loaded for a trip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts