Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Colorado short bed and am very impressed with mileage and performance. My concern is we are planning to buy a tow behind toyhauler, about 28 foot and will do some winter travel/camping. I pulled a trailer that weighed 6000 pounds and, although the truck pulled it okay, I know the engine and tranny were being overworked. I could hold my on on steep grades but couldn't accelerate. I would like to boost the power/torque somehow but don't want to void my factory warrenty as I only have about 33,000 miles on it (two trips cross country). Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
192 Posts
There are some power modules that you can buy however I haven't heard any reviews about them.

Don't be a fool and get a K&N Filter or any CAI as it won't do anything on a stock truck.

And my opinion is that a 28' trailer is too big for these trucks. I wouldn't' consider towing anything bigger than 23' in a mid-size.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response. The 28 ft will be the largest we will consider but will also be a ToyHauler which tend to weigh a little less. The GVW we can tow is 7000 lb but I want to stay well under that if we can.
Thank you again.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Any emissions intact tuning will get you your desired power increase. However, it will void the warranty. DuramaxTuner is a good option, American Diesel Power is another good one. I would not fall for the sham of things such as the Pedal Commander or the aFe Scorcher thing; those are junk. And they'll probably void the warranty too. If you're going to do it, just go with the intact tuning from the above mentioned providers.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I also agree with CleverUserName: don't get a cold air intake, especially a K&N one. If you're worried about voiding your warranty by adding power, but want more power, then you should probably look at a full size 6.6 Duramax in a 2500HD. I don't suggest the new 3.0 Duramax in the 1500's as they aren't tested yet so I can't say anything on them: the 6.6 engine is tested and true.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a 2018 Colorado short bed and am very impressed with mileage and performance. My concern is we are planning to buy a tow behind toyhauler, about 28 foot and will do some winter travel/camping. I pulled a trailer that weighed 6000 pounds and, although the truck pulled it okay, I know the engine and tranny were being overworked. I could hold my on on steep grades but couldn't accelerate. I would like to boost the power/torque somehow but don't want to void my factory warrenty as I only have about 33,000 miles on it (two trips cross country). Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

My suggestion. Don't. Your engine you can ease by slowing down. Your tranny, not nearly so much. Time to at least investigate an F150 diesel. Not dissing Burgess159's idea about going full size Chev, but this is at least closer to what you probably bought your 2.8 for.

Weasel words. I'm not intricate in this Ford diesel and am only guessing that it doesn't have the MacGyvers GM put in the Chev 3.0's...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have also been looking at the toy haulers and you need to look real close at your tongue weight. I haven't found but one or two that fall below the 760lb rating in a toy hauler. Much heavier tongue weight to counteract 1/2-1 ton of weight at the rear of the trailer and those weights are all listed as unloaded. If you find one with usable room/weight within specs and will haul a utv I'd be surprised, maybe one atv or two bikes but your still looking at a 20 footer give or take to maintain recommended tongue weight fully loaded for a trip.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have also been looking at the toy haulers and you need to look real close at your tongue weight. I haven't found but one or two that fall below the 760lb rating in a toy hauler. Much heavier tongue weight to counteract 1/2-1 ton of weight at the rear of the trailer and those weights are all listed as unloaded. If you find one with usable room/weight within specs and will haul a utv I'd be surprised, maybe one atv or two bikes but your still looking at a 20 footer give or take to maintain recommended tongue weight fully loaded for a trip.
I did an add-a-leaf from SD springs with a 2" front suspension lift (bilstein shocks), that goes a long way towards handling a higher tongue weight.

·
Registered
47 Posts
@Colorado Ken I did a GDE tune at 30K and haven't regretted it. The biggest issue when towing with our trucks is the sloppy trans shifting. With a good tune on your ECM and Trans, its changes the game. I tow a 24' boat, weighing roughly 6k lbs, at least 10k miles each year. No issues to date (87k miles), knock on wood.

·
Registered
103 Posts
your not kidding about the tongue weight.
my toy hauler 20’ not including the front a frame.
Then I added 2 batteries, 2 propane tanks.
And the storage area is at the front of the trailer also. So yes these toy haulers really put a load on the tongue .
What I couldn’t understand was with all the weight that the front storage can hold and the massive weight that is placed on the truck. Then consider how far back the dual axles are.
And even if you load the trailer with your toys .......most if not all the weight is over the trailer axles anyway........
I put my 900lb Victory Vision in my trailer and it didn’t take any weight off the tongue.
So I can’t figure out why the trailer axles are so far back....

Rob

·
Registered
157 Posts
your not kidding about the tongue weight.
my toy hauler 20’ not including the front a frame.
Then I added 2 batteries, 2 propane tanks.
And the storage area is at the front of the trailer also. So yes these toy haulers really put a load on the tongue .
What I couldn’t understand was with all the weight that the front storage can hold and the massive weight that is placed on the truck. Then consider how far back the dual axles are.
And even if you load the trailer with your toys .......most if not all the weight is over the trailer axles anyway........
I put my 900lb Victory Vision in my trailer and it didn’t take any weight off the tongue.
So I can’t figure out why the trailer axles are so far back....

Rob

Haven't kept up at all with toy hauler offerings. But is there anything small enough that Rick could tow with an Anderson bed hitch? Chevrolet is mum on these, but since they specifically wave us off truck bed campers, and not these, that's what we did. I don't know how this translates to toy haulers, but an Escape 5.0 TA, with dual axles mounted closer to the trailer c.g. tows like a dream.

Also FYI, I recently came down hard on some one in these fora towing a toy hauler that was obviously ridiculous w.r.t. the vehicles under discussion. Tuned or not tuned, I stand by that, and don't want to share the road with overloaded wobblers. Period...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ok, so now the dumb ass dealer wants me to tear out the Duramax Tuner that came installed in my truck when I bought it from them used before they will do the recall programing for DPF Regen. I'm smelling a big nasty fight already. Oh yeah, they want to charge me to remove it, called me a liar, and threatened to void my extended warranty while denying that it was there when I bought the truck.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Ok, so now the dumb ass dealer wants me to tear out the Duramax Tuner that came installed in my truck when I bought it from them used before they will do the recall programing for DPF Regen. I'm smelling a big nasty fight already. Oh yeah, they want to charge me to remove it, called me a liar, and threatened to void my extended warranty while denying that it was there when I bought the truck.
Why are you doing the recall programming anyways? Is something wrong with the truck? If not, I wouldn’t even bother with it. Either GM lost my address when I moved 1 year ago or there haven’t been any recalls for 1 year cause I haven’t got anything. If there are any recalls on programming or flashing, I’m ignoring them. I won’t ruin my programming for a recall.

·
Registered
280 Posts
It keeps flashing a code, which I keep erasing. Plus, now they know I have a "evil tuner" and my extended warranty will likely be voided even though the tuner was there when I bought the darn truck from the stealer.

·
Registered
945 Posts
It keeps flashing a code, which I keep erasing. Plus, now they know I have a "evil tuner" and my extended warranty will likely be voided even though the tuner was there when I bought the darn truck from the stealer.
When I tuned mine, I cancelled my extended warranty because it wouldn’t cover the DPF or DEF equipment. Didn’t read the fine print when I bought it. It worked out that I got the money back and used that to cancel my warranty. My tuning that I did fixed any future issues I might have with emissions issues.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Now they are playing the he said she said game. "We have no records that there was ever a tuner on that vehicle." Yet it was on it when I bought it used form them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts