Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

Remote Start

7K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  18Z71Minimax 
#1 ·
It's WINTER... In case you all living in the nice warm climate didn't know and Global warming is a myth for sure!!

My question is... When I start my truck up with the remote start... It runs for approximately 10 minutes or less.
Which barely warms the truck up at all, and surely won't even clear the ice off the windshield.

Is there away to change the setting so it won't shut off after 10 minutes?
Can I lengthen that time... or even shut it off so the truck won't shut off until I tell it to?

Just Curious.

#5 ·
According to the OM, you can press the RS function on the remote 1 more time before the end of the 10 minutes are up to reset it for another 10 min., unless I misunderstood it??? Supposedly it will only allow you to do it one more time for a total of 20 min. Let me know if I've gone bat-crap crazy or not. MadMac:confused:

#6 ·
I actually did that by accident and noticed that it was still on when I came out this morning.
Wasn't sure if that's what kept it on or if I was just screwed up on my time in my head.

10 minutes just isn't long enough to warm up anything in this cold we are having.
I was hoping there was a setting somewhere to change it to 15-20 minutes

#9 ·
I haven't tried it yet, but I have read that the 10 minute start is max, and can be turned on only twice. Like rockcrawler said, there is an elevated idle settingg and if it is below a certain temperature the heated seats come on in the low setting which doesn't do much more than take the chill off them.

#10 ·
The OM is a little vague to me. I might give it a try the next time I need to drive somewhere, it's -25 here with wind chill and I really don't feel like walking out to my shop at this time, nice and warm in the house at the moment. LoL:rolleyes:

#18 ·
Idling any engine, especially a modern diesel with multiple after treatment systems is bad. Idling the engine for any longer than 30 or 60 seconds before driving it is not healthy for the engine and emissions systems. Don't start it for 30 seconds and go wide open throttle with a 7500 pound trailer... Drive gently... But idling is not an effective way to warm the engine and actually does more harm than good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.