Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Can someone with a stock non-Denali Canyon (or non-ZR2 Colorado should be OK too) measure the distance from the center of the wheel cap straight up to the fender for me? I was considering going with the GM 1" leveling kit for now, but on GM's site it says it's not for the Denali because it already has it. Which kind of makes sense because my Denali never had the factory rake like non-Denali trucks have. So, I'd like to compare the height of my truck (hub center to fender) to a non-Denali truck and see if it really does have one. I tried to see if I could see the leveling spacer above the coil spring but I can't really see up in the spring bucket.

Thanks!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 2016 CCLB Colorado Z71 and it is 21.5" from the center of the wheel center cap the bottom of the fender.
Thanks! I just checked and I'm 21.5" as well, so I have no idea why GM says the 1" leveleing kit won't work on the Denali.

·
Registered
155 Posts
You probably already know it, but the GM kit has two spacers per side, one above and one under the mounting point. The GM shop which installed mine said it is better than the aftermarket kits which have just one larger spacer, but as I am not a suspension guy, I am unable to take an oath and testify that is true!

• Haha
Reactions: SFLTruck

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You probably already know it, but the GM kit has two spacers per side, one above and one under the mounting point. The GM shop which installed mine said it is better than the aftermarket kits which have just one larger spacer, but as I am not a suspension guy, I am unable to take an oath and testify that is true!
Yeah, GM claims it's supposed to maintain the factory geometry better. One is a preload spacer that basically compresses the spring a little which helps raise the height plus a spacer that goes on top of the strut. One could argue that setup has some drawbacks as well, like reduced down travel because it's effectively extending the strut a little bit vs a leveling kit that uses a single spacer which doesn't do that. The single spacer is also much easier to install.

Or I can just wait a little bit and get a pair of Peak 2.0 coilovers so I get a shock upgrade at the same time.

Whatever I decide is going to depend on how my truck sits once our off-road trailer arrives and everything is loaded up, I'd like to have it level when ready to hit the road so for now I'm just looking at my options.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah, GM claims it's supposed to maintain the factory geometry better. One is a preload spacer that basically compresses the spring a little which helps raise the height plus a spacer that goes on top of the strut. One could argue that setup has some drawbacks as well, like reduced down travel because it's effectively extending the strut a little bit vs a leveling kit that uses a single spacer which doesn't do that. The single spacer is also much easier to install.

Or I can just wait a little bit and get a pair of Peak 2.0 coilovers so I get a shock upgrade at the same time.

Whatever I decide is going to depend on how my truck sits once our off-road trailer arrives and everything is loaded up, I'd like to have it level when ready to hit the road so for now I'm just looking at my options.
FWIW, my truck's vertical fender/center hub dimensions at the front and rear are 21.0".

Also, based on your comments, I now remember the GMC Service Manager telling me my every oil change alignment checks, a Firestone lifetime contract, would be more accurate and correct. Once again, the truth of this is not in my portfolio.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FWIW, my truck's vertical fender/center hub dimensions at the front and rear are 21.0".
I see the other poster that said they also saw 21.5" say in a different thread they're not sure if their truck has a leveling kit or not. So I guess it's not definitive yet on whether or not the Denali comes with a leveling kit from the factory considering you're sitting at 21" and also have a CCLB. I'm not seeing anything like the leveling kit components listed in the online parts catalog for the front suspension, but I've also found those to be incomplete compared to what the dealer can actually look up.

I guess we just need more data from other posters still. :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
I see the other poster that said they also saw 21.5" say in a different thread they're not sure if their truck has a leveling kit or not. So I guess it's not definitive yet on whether or not the Denali comes with a leveling kit from the factory considering you're sitting at 21" and also have a CCLB. I'm not seeing anything like the leveling kit components listed in the online parts catalog for the front suspension, but I've also found those to be incomplete compared to what the dealer can actually look up.

I guess we just need more data from other posters still. :)
Ain't life grand?! The search for truth goes on, forever.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.