Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys

Got around to installing my s&b intake today. Fairly easy install, they have very good instructions and videos on that subject.

Worked well with my Mighty Mouse catch can. Just so happened that the Mighty Mouse bracket fit well on the auxiliary air scoop, so that's where it's living now.

Sound is much different. Some may not like it with the auxiliary air scoop installed. The intake suction sound is very noticeable. Even more noticeable is the sound when you get out of the boost, very distinct sound. In fact, I will need to drive around more and even tow some before I decide to keep the auxiliary air scoop or install the block off plate. It may end up being too loud for my tastes when towing. But, for now, I freakin love it.

As far as gains, I can't comment on those yet. It was wet out and I was running a hot tune so I only did "light accel" tests since I was struggling to get traction. Mpg results will take a while to roll in.

IMG_6758.JPG
IMG_6759.JPG

Sound clip. Depending on your speakers you may not hear much happening. On my laptop I hear nothing, haha.

Feel free to subscribe to my channel as well.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Update: its way too loud for my tastes. I'm sick of it already. I'm going to swap the air scoop for the plug and see if that helps shut it up.

I have seen about 2 mpg more than usual scooting around. Got 26.1 on the way to work where I usually get about 24.2 but it's not worth the noise to me. The extra mpg could be from me keeping my foot out of it to make it be quiet.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I would NOT recommend this intake to someone with a tune or who wants a tune and values a quiet cab. It will make your cab noisy (NOT good noises) I like good noises but this is like a kid with an empty slurpee.

If someone wants one, let me know. If I can't get my money back, i'll sell mine at a good price plus shipping. PM me

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: I am still unhappy with the sound level, although I will admit it is quieter without the scoop installed. The sound doesn't drive me crazy during normal light driving, but I can hear it over the radio even at about 1/4 volume. When you really get into the fuel or pull up a hill it still sounds stupid. I will be towing heavy with it next weekend and I am hoping it doesn't sound like poop the whole time.

The truck seems to enjoy the intake with the tune, I feel like there is finally a bit less hesitation from the truck, haven't driven it enough to see a real result in the mpg department.

So, where do I stand now? If it isn't more obnoxious when i tow, I will probably live with it because I feel less hesitation.

Also, s&b have offered me a refund. I think they have great support and a well made product. I just think people should be aware that the sound increase isn't for everyone.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
You all do that and let me know how it sounds after :) seriously though, you might be on to something for those people who don't like all the additional sound. Just have to make sure if you put it on the outside, that it isn't rubbing against something that might get really hot though, if this is a burnable material?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You all do that and let me know how it sounds after :) seriously though, you might be on to something for those people who don't like all the additional sound. Just have to make sure if you put it on the outside, that it isn't rubbing against something that might get really hot though, if this is a burnable material?
I've got tons of that stuff leftover from doing the Cab of the toyota. I wouldn't be insulating the airbox, I would pull the carpet and do the firewall.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Got mine and installed it,'running aux scoop. Went for a small test drive. You can definitely hear it with the windows up and radio on a low setting. Windows down, wind noise makes the sound pretty much disappear. Radio at 1/3 of max, it's harder to hear. Radio 1/2 of max, never hear it; this is normally where I run my radio at. I did remove the duct work in the passenger wheel well.

I have to go back through it this weekend and clean some stuff up. 1st I have to carve some foam off the inner fender where the aux scoop sets. GM went overkill with it on my truck and the very back scoop is not sealing.

2nd I have to re-hose my Mighty Mouse catch can. Looks like the clean side of the can, the hose needs to be shortened so it will sit right on the aux scoop. Probably use double sided 3M tape to secure it to the scoop. 3M has withstood 170 mph winds at trackday, so it should hold well under the hood.

Overall install was easy. Takes about a hour andnthays takong your time, double checking everything as you go. Haven't tested it enough to see what improvements it has made, but it did feel like it had a little more get up and go to the truck.

·
Registered
133 Posts
So I scrapped all the glue off the rear port and got it to seal decently. Here is a picture of the glue, silicone...what ever you want to call it. I started scrapping the top corner in this pic. Before I took it all off the seal was over 1/2 away from touching the fender.

IMG_1466.JPG

And actually I would say all ports seal decently. You have to reach in the box and aux scoop once installed and push the seals slightly away box until they touch the fender. The middle seal, first aux scoop seal seems to be the one you have to push the most on.

No idea if having the seals fully against the fender change the sound. Didn't test drive it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Got everything cleaned up and where I want it now. 3M double sided didn't work so well, so I found a very short screw and put it through the MM mounting bracket and into the aux scoop. The MM is solid now, no movement what so ever.

As to the noise after scrapping the fender glue off where the third scoop goes, it seems to have increased the sound slightly. However if you run the radio at 1/3 volume like I do, you never hear it.

IMG_1470.JPG

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine is living in about the same spot, except I am running the box without the air scoop nowadays. Doesn't make it much quieter, FYI. I have an L bracket attached to the air box and mounted the Mighty Mouse to it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I went with the oiled version that you can clean and re-oil. I've owned many of these types of fitters and have had luck with them.

If I were in a very dusty environment, I would have got the throw away because you can easily blow it out everyday until it's completely trashed.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts