Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've noticed a slight increase in mpg. Close to 2 mpg increase highway. Maybe 1ish mpg city. Truck responds better that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Same

My buddy drove the truck and he said the intake was obnoxious as well. Maybe it has to do with the tune?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Just purchased AFE intercooler pipes. I’ll let you guys know if they are compatible with the S&B intake (the AFE pipes reroute from the factory pipes location)

If they are not compatible, I will be selling my S&B intake cheap. (@Burgess159 has first dibs, tho)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Also interested to see from you what the aFe intercooler pipes do. Do they allow more airflow throughout the engine? Could see that being a big help when towing. Also. I have heard that those tend to blow off under heavy load, or just over time. So, just a suggestion, you might clean where they mate up to their connection really really good, and also throw the clamps they gave you away and get some good T clamps, since the little caterpillar ones or whatever they call those aren't that good at holding them on.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Also interested to see from you what the aFe intercooler pipes do. Do they allow more airflow throughout the engine? Could see that being a big help when towing. Also. I have heard that those tend to blow off under heavy load, or just over time. So, just a suggestion, you might clean where they mate up to their connection really really good, and also throw the clamps they gave you away and get some good T clamps, since the little caterpillar ones or whatever they call those aren't that good at holding them on.
Dang. The reason I got them is because I have heard of the stock pipes splitting on tuned trucks running high boost. Heard that from my tuner who said it was somewhat common and also @Profab Chino mentioned here that happening to him after his tune. I don’t want to be towing in the mountains and split a intercooler pipe. I guess I’d rather blow one off than split one but still don’t want either. Thanks for the tip, I can pickup some badass t bolt clamps

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Just heard that happen on a few guys running aFe pipes. Cleaning the connections good and using better clamps seems to fix the problem, I believe, since I don't ever see any posts after people say they are getting the T-clamps. They all complain about the caterpillar ones or whatever their real name is haha. Good luck.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I’ve already talked to RCD about this but figured I would post my findings.

I’ve added Dynamat to my air box (without the extra intake port might I add) on the back, bottom, and front inside area. I left the sides in covered. The goal was to decrease what I would refer to as a slight drone under acceleration.

This seems to have got rid of the sound I wanted to decrease and I am happy with it. It still how ever makes the sound of air being sucked in, which is not an issue with me. I’ve concluded two factors in causing this.

One was the removal of the “air horn” elbow inside the fender. This helps reduce intake noise. Just removing it and still using stock intake you can hear the sucking sound, but not as loud as with the S&B. You can leave this on the truck, but it will not seal and flop around using the S&B intake. One could maybe fab something up and make it work, but then there would be no point as you are decreasing the flow as the port is smaller than the S&B.

Second the surface area and increased flow of the filter. The S&B filter doesn’t have any sound dampening material like the stock filter. Notice the cloth like material on the stock filter? That helps decrease sound. I suppose you could wrap the S&B filter in something, but like I said above what’s the point of owing an S&B intake/filter (or any aftermarket intake) if you are going to do that and decrease the flow.

IMHO, I think the best option would be a ProFab intake pipe. Then add an aftermarket drop-in filter and remove the “air horn” if you wish. The negative to this would be price. While cheaper than a S&B it’s not significantly cheaper. Assuming you by the intake pipe with PVC fitting and then add an aftermarket drop-in filter, it’s going to be within maybe $15-$20 of the S&B.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was thinking of the S&B it looks high quality and I've seen some vids on it. Some of these things will throw a check engine after a while but nobody has had issues with this kit.

I will be purchasing one soon

21 - 40 of 41 Posts