Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

181 - 200 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
It's surprisingly not to bad. I keep it at 65 and the truck chugs along at about 2000 rpm, 12-13mpg on my last trip. The V on the trailer helps cut wind but it's actually the drag of the back of the trailer that hurts the most. I've been considering getting some of those vortex creating triangles like some semi trailers have. Might help slightly with mileage but it would be more for counteracting the pull when I'm passed by larger vehicles.
I see your point, and made the rookie mistake of looking at your front rather than back. I'm sure we pay a penalty for hauling bikes behind our Escape, even though it looks pretty slick at first glance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
A better pic, hooked up.

The Bike E FX recumbent and Cannon step thru have been replaced with an Aurora Evelo auto trans 750 watt mid drive with a bigger battery, and a Biktrix 750 watt mid drive with the 'droided up Sturmey Archer 5 speed integral hub. Requires an e bike hitch, which when loaded, pushes our Escape rear hitch rating. But we remove batteries and seats to sneak it in under the max. We cover it all up with an oversized bike cover and watch it with our trailer cam. Pulls just fine and bikes are rock steady.
What mpg are you getting with this setup?

·
Registered
237 Posts
What mpg are you getting with this setup?
~19 m/g, at ~60, on the highway, up and down, summer, winter, hot, cold. But I'm sure that I could drop it to 15-16 m/g by speeding up to 70. We're totally happy with the mileage, since we tow many thousands of miles/year, but don't want to oversell.

·
Registered
237 Posts
It's surprisingly not to bad. I keep it at 65 and the truck chugs along at about 2000 rpm, 12-13mpg on my last trip. The V on the trailer helps cut wind but it's actually the drag of the back of the trailer that hurts the most. I've been considering getting some of those vortex creating triangles like some semi trailers have. Might help slightly with mileage but it would be more for counteracting the pull when I'm passed by larger vehicles.

Just occurred to me. Are you using your trailer tow mode? I'm well over 2000 r/m at 60-61, and I think (but don't know) that my TT mode drops me down a gear, and locks it in unless more shifting is required. If you aren't using it, might give it a try. Less trans loading, and - ironically - the combo of trans lock and higher r/m might even boost your mileage.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Just occurred to me. Are you using your trailer tow mode? I'm well over 2000 r/m at 60-61, and I think (but don't know) that my TT mode drops me down a gear, and locks it in unless more shifting is required. If you aren't using it, might give it a try. Less trans loading, and - ironically - the combo of trans lock and higher r/m might even boost your mileage.
Trailer tow mode does keep you in 5th. Locks out 6th.....
The 2.8 makes max torque at 2k.
Lugging a 4 banger is really hard on the rod end bearings and crank.

Personally I run the truck in manual mode 5th gear with tow haul on. I only do this when towing a heavy load. This stops engine braking. I really think the engine braking on these trucks is a really bad idea.
when I pull my ATV I don’t use tow haul mode at all.
At 1000 or 1500 lbs you don’t need it.

I know a lot of people think the engine braking is a great idea.
But
Consider the pounding your HPFP is taking at those high RPMs
Consider how bad today’s low silver fuel is at lubricating the pump and injectors.
Its just not worth the wear and tear on very expensive parts.
Brake pads are cheap......

·
Registered
237 Posts
Trailer tow mode does keep you in 5th. Locks out 6th.....
The 2.8 makes max torque at 2k.
Lugging a 4 banger is really hard on the rod end bearings and crank.

Personally I run the truck in manual mode 5th gear with tow haul on. I only do this when towing a heavy load. This stops engine braking. I really think the engine braking on these trucks is a really bad idea.
when I pull my ATV I don’t use tow haul mode at all.
At 1000 or 1500 lbs you don’t need it.

I know a lot of people think the engine braking is a great idea.
But
Consider the pounding your HPFP is taking at those high RPMs
Consider how bad today’s low silver fuel is at lubricating the pump and injectors.
Its just not worth the wear and tear on very expensive parts.
Brake pads are cheap......
To each his own, but I've read almost every post in this forum for more than the last 3 years and don't recall any flat failure of the HPFP. Please link me to any that you know of, and I will stand corrected. I also tried searching for actual problems with USLD lubricity, and the only sites that were alarmed about this were pimping additives. No actual data on real world fail rates, for our 2.8's, but again, I'll read anything I missed in my search. Finally, my training is upstream oil, not downstream products, but isn't there an ASTM standard for the relevant minimum viscosity parameter v temp for the diesel fuel we all buy?

Even in my driving, about half of which is at ~5/6 of GCVW, in hills, I run at over 3000 r/m in brake mode less than 5% of the time. Since it makes driving much smoother and easier (the TT mode blends seamlessly with our cruise control), I think I'll keep doing that....

·
Registered
224 Posts
To each his own, but I've read almost every post in this forum for more than the last 3 years and don't recall any flat failure of the HPFP. Please link me to any that you know of, and I will stand corrected. I also tried searching for actual problems with USLD lubricity, and the only sites that were alarmed about this were pimping additives. No actual data on real world fail rates, for our 2.8's, but again, I'll read anything I missed in my search. Finally, my training is upstream oil, not downstream products, but isn't there an ASTM standard for the relevant minimum viscosity parameter v temp for the diesel fuel we all buy?

Even in my driving, about half of which is at ~5/6 of GCVW, in hills, I run at over 3000 r/m in brake mode less than 5% of the time. Since it makes driving much smoother and easier (the TT mode blends seamlessly with our cruise control), I think I'll keep doing that....
i didn’t say it would fail. I said why would you want to put added stress on the HPFP as it is pumping at high RPM for no reason while the engine is screaming trying to slow the truck going down hills.
The weak link on all diesels is the injectors and the HPFP so I will not press my luck.
There is already failures posted of the injectors that may or may not be attributed to low sulfur diesel.
And if not this board then the sister board has posted HPFP failure.
And its well known fact that diesel fuel in the USA is about as poor as it can get. That is all over the internet.
I have put my truck in tow haul mode and taken off ramps at high speed with no trailer. To see how much the exhaust brake slows the truck down. And when I applied the brakes and the RPM raised to between 3k and 3.5 k I noticed no slowing of the truck. All I got was a very noisy screaming diesel.

Not saying don’t do it to your truck but I am saying it’s a waste of wear and tear on parts like HPFP and injectors....
Its good to have some people use the engine braking to see if any issues come up. Fill your boots.
keep us posted.

Its just not going to be used on my truck.
Again brakes are cheap.
my travel trailer has great brakes.

Rob

·
Registered
224 Posts
There is currently a falling demand for diesel vehicles around the world . And it’s because of the extreamly expensive parts today’s diesels use.
And the high failure rate of these parts.
A failed injector can destroy the entire engine.
The emissions systems are so complex and unreliable that people are actually trading in there diesels in fear of massive repair bills.
This is why Ford will not bring a diesel Mid Sized truck to market in N America.
Toyota was a disaster in Australia.
They will not bring a diesel to market in N America
GM sold there engine plant that makes the 2.8 and will discontinue a diesel in a Mid Sized truck.
Why
Because of poor sales and lackluster reliability. And that goes for Toyota and all others too.
Ford never pushed there 3.0 liter diesel. They said they had one but never pushed it.
It took Ram 3 tries to get there 3.0 diesel semi reliable... Any other company would have given up trying.
Ford has brought to market a BIG gas engine because there was a demand for a big reliable V8 to take place of needing a diesel. And people are actually buying it.

The CP4 pump used in the past by Ford, GM and even Cummins, oh and even VW used it with massive failure rates left a really bad taste for diesels in a lot of the buying publics pocket books.

All I am saying here is that with today’s emission, reliability is at an all time low.
Todays high pressure common rail fuel systems put never seen before loads on HPFP and injectors.
Then the engine has to force the exhaust through tiny holes in the DPF .

I really fell in love with this little 2.8 Duramax.
I am really loving that low RPM torque.
And the mileage is amazing
But I am concerned about injector failures.
A plugged up DPF
A possible DEF pump failure
The heating element that keeps the DEF from freezing... We had one fail at work......
The many sensors that are being run at extream temperatures
The fuel lift pump.
Plugged up EGR
Turbo failures
So take care of your diesel the best you can.....
Rob

·
Registered
237 Posts
i didn’t say it would fail. I said why would you want to put added stress on the HPFP as it is pumping at high RPM for no reason while the engine is screaming trying to slow the truck going down hills.
The weak link on all diesels is the injectors and the HPFP so I will not press my luck.
There is already failures posted of the injectors that may or may not be attributed to low sulfur diesel.
And if not this board then the sister board has posted HPFP failure.
And its well known fact that diesel fuel in the USA is about as poor as it can get. That is all over the internet.
I have put my truck in tow haul mode and taken off ramps at high speed with no trailer. To see how much the exhaust brake slows the truck down. And when I applied the brakes and the RPM raised to between 3k and 3.5 k I noticed no slowing of the truck. All I got was a very noisy screaming diesel.

Not saying don’t do it to your truck but I am saying it’s a waste of wear and tear on parts like HPFP and injectors....
Its good to have some people use the engine braking to see if any issues come up. Fill your boots.
keep us posted.

Its just not going to be used on my truck.
Again brakes are cheap.
my travel trailer has great brakes.

Rob
"I have put my truck in tow haul mode and taken off ramps at high speed with no trailer. To see how much the exhaust brake slows the truck down. And when I applied the brakes and the RPM raised to between 3k and 3.5 k I noticed no slowing of the truck. All I got was a very noisy screaming diesel. "

Mine pulls down quite well, even loaded. Either your system is malfunctioning, or we have different expectations, or both.

Yes, my ABS brakes better than my engine. But my driving style minimizes the need for it. When other drivers are bunched up and brake slamming in traffic, I'm the guy over 100 yards back releasing my foot feed, enjoying the show. If needed, I touch my brake and use some of the seamlessly applied engine braking. It's how you drive if you want your vehicle to last for nearly a quarter century, as my last Chevy truck did when I sold it in good shape 3 years ago..

·
Registered
237 Posts
There is currently a falling demand for diesel vehicles around the world . And it’s because of the extreamly expensive parts today’s diesels use.
And the high failure rate of these parts.
A failed injector can destroy the entire engine.
The emissions systems are so complex and unreliable that people are actually trading in there diesels in fear of massive repair bills.
This is why Ford will not bring a diesel Mid Sized truck to market in N America.
Toyota was a disaster in Australia.
They will not bring a diesel to market in N America
GM sold there engine plant that makes the 2.8 and will discontinue a diesel in a Mid Sized truck.
Why
Because of poor sales and lackluster reliability. And that goes for Toyota and all others too.
Ford never pushed there 3.0 liter diesel. They said they had one but never pushed it.
It took Ram 3 tries to get there 3.0 diesel semi reliable... Any other company would have given up trying.
Ford has brought to market a BIG gas engine because there was a demand for a big reliable V8 to take place of needing a diesel. And people are actually buying it.

The CP4 pump used in the past by Ford, GM and even Cummins, oh and even VW used it with massive failure rates left a really bad taste for diesels in a lot of the buying publics pocket books.

All I am saying here is that with today’s emission, reliability is at an all time low.
Todays high pressure common rail fuel systems put never seen before loads on HPFP and injectors.
Then the engine has to force the exhaust through tiny holes in the DPF .

I really fell in love with this little 2.8 Duramax.
I am really loving that low RPM torque.
And the mileage is amazing
But I am concerned about injector failures.
A plugged up DPF
A possible DEF pump failure
The heating element that keeps the DEF from freezing... We had one fail at work......
The many sensors that are being run at extream temperatures
The fuel lift pump.
Plugged up EGR
Turbo failures
So take care of your diesel the best you can.....
Rob
"GM sold there engine plant that makes the 2.8 and will discontinue a diesel in a Mid Sized truck. "

Apparently not.........

·
Registered
6 Posts
Towing my R-Pod . about 3500 dry. Question, I don't like to tow fast, but I need to bring the truck up to about 73-74 mph, then back it down a couple mles an hour for it to shift, or maybe lock the converter? Then my RPMs go down to about 1850. Anyone else have a similar experience?
20200731_165314.jpg

·
Registered
224 Posts
"GM sold there engine plant that makes the 2.8 and will discontinue a diesel in a Mid Sized truck. "

Apparently not.........

Although the engine will not be available when the 2021 model year vehicles initially launch in North America, the Duramax engine will have late availability for the Colorado and Canyon.
GM International Director of Communications, George Svigos, said in a written statement, “We have appropriate measures in place to ensure continued supply of 2.8L diesel engines for global vehicles.”

Are they going to buy the engine from the new owners of the plant ?
If so what quality issues will there be?
Rob

·
Registered
224 Posts
GM will be building the baby max in Flint Michigan.

The baby max should be the 2.8 but in this case it’s the 3.0 inline 6

So what the new name for ours. mini max? Turtle max ? Gerbel max

The inline 6 should be called the Minimax
Ours should be called the babymax

·
Registered
224 Posts
Towing my R-Pod . about 3500 dry. Question, I don't like to tow fast, but I need to bring the truck up to about 73-74 mph, then back it down a couple mles an hour for it to shift, or maybe lock the converter? Then my RPMs go down to about 1850. Anyone else have a similar experience? View attachment 8930 View attachment 8930
sounds like your getting it to go into 6th gear.
if you don’t like to go fast just let it run in 5th with tow mode on.
At 60 mph you will be around 2000 rpm or so and that’s where you want it to be
2000 rpm is where this engine makes max torque.
You don’t really want it in6th below 2000 rpm with a load
1850 rpm while towing is lugging a 4 banger. Your better to just drive a bit slower and let it run a bit higher in the rpm.

·
Registered
224 Posts
"I have put my truck in tow haul mode and taken off ramps at high speed with no trailer. To see how much the exhaust brake slows the truck down. And when I applied the brakes and the RPM raised to between 3k and 3.5 k I noticed no slowing of the truck. All I got was a very noisy screaming diesel. "

Mine pulls down quite well, even loaded. Either your system is malfunctioning, or we have different expectations, or both.

Yes, my ABS brakes better than my engine. But my driving style minimizes the need for it. When other drivers are bunched up and brake slamming in traffic, I'm the guy over 100 yards back releasing my foot feed, enjoying the show. If needed, I touch my brake and use some of the seamlessly applied engine braking. It's how you drive if you want your vehicle to last for nearly a quarter century, as my last Chevy truck did when I sold it in good shape 3 years ago..
Mine has never helped slow the truck. I was very disappointed in the way it works.
There is another guy on here that says his doesn’t do much ether.
There is so much salt and Brine used on the roads here that 10 years is all I can get out of the body.
Even with heavy undercoating the salt damage is extensive...
It makes owning a truck very expensive proposition....

·
Registered
6 Posts
sounds like your getting it to go into 6th gear.
if you don’t like to go fast just let it run in 5th with tow mode on.
At 60 mph you will be around 2000 rpm or so and that’s where you want it to be
2000 rpm is where this engine makes max torque.
You don’t really want it in6th below 2000 rpm with a load
1850 rpm while towing is lugging a 4 banger. Your better to just drive a bit slower and let it run a bit higher in the rpm.
Thanks, I wasn't sure which was better, 1850 or 2100 or so in 5th. Fuel economy suffers a bit but I'd rather preserve my engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. I just joined the group. I am reading most of the posts about towing and I am surprised that people are afraid of towing 5k lbs with it. I purchased new GMC Canyon Denali with long bed and been towing with it pretty much since day one. I have 37k miles on it and zero issues until last Friday. My NOX sensors are dead and I have "exhaust fluid quality poor message" on the dash. New sensors are on the way already.
Anyway, I have been towing Baja open bow boat with 454 big block engine on 2 axle trailer, 24 ft enclosed race trailer with various cars inside, open trailers with SUV or passenger cars on them,including long trips Chicago-Denver and back.
I currently tow my new to me boat pretty regularly, 2-3 times a week during summer. It is 30ft Formula Fastech with twin chevy small block engines. I know I am over the limit of this little truck, but it proves how tough they are. I am not going to risk it going to Florida from Chicago with it, but on flat Midwest roads it is doing just fine. Boat sits on triple axle trailer with brakes on all 6 wheels. It is pushing 10k fueled up and loaded with junk. Yes ,I know I am crazy, but it is only truck I have at the moment so it has to get the job done. It tows way better then 1500 Silverado with gas engine. This truck was junk. Trans and engine with cylinder shut down was constantly confused under the load and drove me crazy switching gears and rpm constantly.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hello. I just joined the group. I am reading most of the posts about towing and I am surprised that people are afraid of towing 5k lbs with it. I purchased new GMC Canyon Denali with long bed and been towing with it pretty much since day one. I have 37k miles on it and zero issues until last Friday. My NOX sensors are dead and I have "exhaust fluid quality poor message" on the dash. New sensors are on the way already.
Anyway, I have been towing Baja open bow boat with 454 big block engine on 2 axle trailer, 24 ft enclosed race trailer with various cars inside, open trailers with SUV or passenger cars on them,including long trips Chicago-Denver and back.
I currently tow my new to me boat pretty regularly, 2-3 times a week during summer. It is 30ft Formula Fastech with twin chevy small block engines. I know I am over the limit of this little truck, but it proves how tough they are. I am not going to risk it going to Florida from Chicago with it, but on flat Midwest roads it is doing just fine. Boat sits on triple axle trailer with brakes on all 6 wheels. It is pushing 10k fueled up and loaded with junk. Yes ,I know I am crazy, but it is only truck I have at the moment so it has to get the job done. It tows way better then 1500 Silverado with gas engine. This truck was junk. Trans and engine with cylinder shut down was constantly confused under the load and drove me crazy switching gears and rpm constantly. View attachment 8931
I agree these lititle diesels are very impressive.
I have towed a construction dump trailer full of hard wood with mine. Way over the max limit.
I just take it easy on it.
I have towed my toy hauler RV loaded to over 6000lbs half way across the country And back...
The unloaded fuel mileage is extremely impressive.
As soon as this virus is under control I bet fuel prices will climb like crazy.
These trucks will be very popular....
Rob

181 - 200 of 202 Posts