Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

101 - 120 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just purchased and can't see around it at all. Seriously need more options for tow mirrors and such. I like the idea of the Intellihaul mirrors and such, but believe the price is just too much to consider.
IMG_2021.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just purchased and can't see around it at all. Seriously need more options for tow mirrors and such. I like the idea of the Intellihaul mirrors and such, but believe the price is just too much to consider. View attachment 7713
what about this? https://boostautoparts.com/collections/2014-2018-colorado-canyon-tow-mirrors/products/2014-2018-colorado-canyon-tow-mirrors-old-style
325$ and I think that the promo code might still work.. 299$ and I think free shipping to US.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Calling those of you who use your trucks as weekend warriors or jobsite heroes.

We all love this little diesel for its mpgs. For me, the diesel option was the deciding factor because it allowed me to get a smaller truck. I came down from a half ton I was tired of. A Tacoma can't do the work I need, so the Duramax Colorado filled the gap for me.

I pull this rig and trailer around to spots in the southeast every few weekends or so. 18' bed Trailer weight varies from about 5500-6000lb depending on how much gear, equipment and spares I'm carrying. I don't weigh it very often once every few years.

View attachment 1529

·
Registered
60 Posts
Love that the trailer matches the truck!!

Check Boost or Clearview mirrors, they're the way to go. I have some clip-on janky crap that I wouldn't recommend to anyone...

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is my rig.
2018 Canyon 2.8L CCLB
2018 Lance 1995

Steer Axle 2,920 actual, max is 3,400
Rear Axle 3,220 actual, max is 3,500
Trailer axle is 5,860, max 5,700, so a bit over.. Will address that by taking the camp chef grill, oven box, and griddle out of trailer and put in the truck bed.
Gross Weight 12,000 actual, max 12,700.

Tows no issue.... Trans runs a bit hotter than I like, 205 to 219, but going up 5% to 7% grades, 85d outside temp, elev at 4500 to 6000 asl.

Love it...

2018-09-28 14.34.41.jpg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Calling those of you who use your trucks as weekend warriors or jobsite heroes.

We all love this little diesel for its mpgs. For me, the diesel option was the deciding factor because it allowed me to get a smaller truck. I came down from a half ton I was tired of. A Tacoma can't do the work I need, so the Duramax Colorado filled the gap for me.

I pull this rig and trailer around to spots in the southeast every few weekends or so. 18' bed Trailer weight varies from about 5500-6000lb depending on how much gear, equipment and spares I'm carrying. I don't weigh it very often once every few years.

View attachment 1529

·
Registered
29 Posts
2016 Colorado with a 2016 palomino 177bh. trailer weighs around 3500 loaded with a tongue weight of around 400lb. tows better than my Silverado and way better mpgs, last trip of 350 miles averaged 17.2. great little truck and engine combo
0725181446a.jpg

·
Registered
29 Posts
what's the length on that trailer, looks like a long rig on a relatively short wheelbase, any trouble with sway? cant let my wife see this pic she's been wanting a bigger camper.

·
Registered
3 Posts
what's the length on that trailer, looks like a long rig on a relatively short wheelbase, any trouble with sway? cant let my wife see this pic she's been wanting a bigger camper.
The trailer is a 28 1/2 foot living about 33 feet tip to tail. It has a dry weight of 5600 since it is an ultra lite. a gross weight of 7500. I’ve only towed it two times and not far without sway control. it towed pretty well at 55-65. It’s loaded pretty heavy right now. That day I was about 100# over on the tongue weight. But like I stated its loaded pretty heavy now. Last time I scaled it behind my PowerSroke dually it had a axle weight of 6400#. After I go though the trailer and put it on a diet all should be good. I have to remove things like crab pot traps, spare boat motors and a few spare propane tanks.

Also the design of the trailer and how it’s loaded has a lot to do with how well it pulls. If you notice the spred axles on this model. It makes a huge difference in how it tows compared to a standard trailer.

I plan to lighten it up a bit and buy a WAY!!! better quality Andersen weight distribution hitch.(the current hitch is Harbor freight. Fine for the f350 but not the Colorado) This way I can use the Colorado to go on quick overnight or weekend trips with the wife with no kids. Kids = toys = the need for the F350 dually flatbed.

Disclaimer. I do have a CDL also drive on and off for a living for the past 20 years. I also possess the proper scaling equipment to load trucks and trailers properly.

Dave

·
Registered
90 Posts
I brought my toy hauler home from the dealer 60 miles away.
I have a weight distribution hitch but no sway control.

The trailer dry weight is 4300 lbs. my Baby Max long box crew cab pulled it no issue. I kept the speed down on the way home 60 - 65
And around here your always going up or down a hill. The truck pulled it very well. But a minor sway was always there making it impossible to relax.
I have since purchased a set of friction type ad on sway control bars. I hope this cures the issue.
I also couldn’t see down the sides of the trailer because it is so much wider than the truck.
So I ordered a set of trailer mirrors from a link I found on this site.

My Grey Wolf 19rr toy hauler will have a 900 lbs Victory MC and around 500 lbs of water added to its weight .
Plus food and what ever else we need to go camping with.
I figure the trailer will come in around
4300 dry weight
900. MC
500. Water
40. Propane
50 batteries
200 misc food clothes bedding ect
The damn hitch and sway bars ect prob weigh 100
Around 6000 lbs

Then if you consider some tools, BBQ, generator, gas, lawn chairs.
Prob end up at 6500 lbs

This blows me away.
A little 2.8 motor to move the truck and the trailer
That’s amazing...
Hope it works out ok......

95047A7E-4CB0-4E64-8EC2-485695C2FCB8.jpeg

F9D8628C-CB47-4C04-8D3E-6899A1CC584C.jpeg

Rob

·
Registered
23 Posts
I pull my 2017 Forest River R Pod with my 2016 Colorado Duramax. The R Pod with all the dealer options and personal gear, water, propane, etc weights in at about 3000-3200 pounds. The truck has no issues pulling it, and does 65-70 MPH with relative ease, and 60-65 MPH up most steep hills so long as I have the speed built up. What I've found so far is that it's more the wind resistance than the weight that affects how hard the truck works when towing. I can probably get away without them, but I use the WDH and sway control bars to ensure the trailer doesn't get thrown around in higher winds. I usually get between 15-18 MPG depending on road and weather conditions. Having the fridge in propane mode also helps with MPG since it's less power being drawn from the alternator.

The pictures below were from me driving on various ski trips, including a just completed 1,700 mile trip that had me going through the Canadian Rockies, Rogers Pass, and Duffey Lake Road in British Columbia and Alberta. I woke up one morning needing to pull the trailer out of almost 2 feet of fresh powder. The truck did it effortlessly.

IMG_3226.jpg
IMG_3865.jpg
IMG_3866.jpg

101 - 120 of 160 Posts