Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

141 - 159 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Calling those of you who use your trucks as weekend warriors or jobsite heroes.

We all love this little diesel for its mpgs. For me, the diesel option was the deciding factor because it allowed me to get a smaller truck. I came down from a half ton I was tired of. A Tacoma can't do the work I need, so the Duramax Colorado filled the gap for me.

I pull this rig and trailer around to spots in the southeast every few weekends or so. 18' bed Trailer weight varies from about 5500-6000lb depending on how much gear, equipment and spares I'm carrying. I don't weigh it very often once every few years.

View attachment 1529
Light weights. I tow this baby all over New York
2016 130000 miles tows really great !!

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm new to this forum but I can't understand why people take risks. Especially the one says he was pulling a trailer with a large truck on it and it towed like a champ. These trucks have stickers put on them for reasons. One is something to do with safety the other is safety to other drivers on the road. This one was 600 pounds over the safe towing weight which is 20% of the max towing capacity. The safe towing capacity is 6200 pounds and the reason for this is because not everyone drives the same and if you had to make a hard stop your trailer would push you through or over the reason why you had to slam on your brakes. I have a 2017 with Z71 and I plan on keeping it for a long time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
AF4CBE47-DA26-49CB-90DA-221CB014BCC9.jpeg
First trip out with the mini max. Picture took just south of Flagstaff,AZ
Loved the mileage best tank 21 mpg , worse was 16. Tulsa,OK to Yuma,AZ

·
Registered
4 Posts
trailer is 3150ish lbs and my bike is 920 wet. Pulls like a champ, like most on already know this to be true. I can only fit one bike, she now got into the game with a can-am spyder. If your reading this and have any ideas on a new toy hauler, please let e know what you know

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
trailer is 3150ish lbs and my bike is 920 wet. Pulls like a champ, like most on already know this to be true. I can only fit one bike, she now got into the game with a can-am spyder. If your reading this and have any ideas on a new toy hauler, please let e know what you know
Looks great!

·
Registered
87 Posts
F6DEF412-0FBA-4CD1-B6EE-DA530F09CC39.jpeg

Northern Alberta to Moab. Down via Teton Pass.
Within 300#s of GCWR. Equalizer hitch and drove it like a fully loaded truck.
No issues, around 16 US mpg. GDE engine and transmission tune.
Tows happiest around 65 but will do 75 if I need to.
No heat issues in engine or transmission.
Extremely happy with towing ability for what the truck is.
Don’t bother trying to school me on towing safety, I have been towing trailers large and small since 1974.

·
Registered
2 Posts
View attachment 8033

Escape 5.0 TA camper. About 4400# and high/wide is just a bit too much on grades and for my '15 gasser so the '19 diesel is on the way.
The awesome lightweight removable Andersen Ultimate goose-neck hitch on a permanent rail mount has about 650# pin weight.
Will install a couple of parts to the Max: Racor catch can; S&B cold air filter; AFE intercooler in/out pipes, Boost mirrors.
This is my last truck and my next wheeled vehicle will likely be pushed by a nurse.
Hi Bobbo,
I am new to the forum and plan to do exactly the same thing with our 2016 Colorado Short bed Diesel. How has your experience been with the diesel.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi Bobbo,
I am new to the forum and plan to do exactly the same thing with our 2016 Colorado Short bed Diesel. How has your experience been with the diesel.

Thanks,
Bob

A different Bobbo, but a couple three thoughts. First, there is at least one owner towing this just fine with a CCSB. I preferred the CCLB for a smoother ride, but you should be fine. The Anderson hitch is the way to go. So nice to be able to bike lock it under your Escape if you're going to stay for a few days. It's very handy. And, save for the REQUIRED bigger mirrors. does the 2016 need all the extra mechanical complexity? My 2018 does not, and (as I've said before) we have towed over 20K miles thru US and Canada, with only one (warrantied) sensor replacement.

G'luck

141 - 159 of 160 Posts