Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

161 - 180 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
2016 CCLB LT 2.8 dmax. Afe coilovers, intercooler tubes and intake, 1" rear blocks, hellwig 500lb springs, 32 inch ATs, tow mirrors and not tuned.

Trailer is 29' long and about 6100lbs empty and about 720lb tongue weight. Food, clothes, propane, full tanks etc is 1000lbs more easy.
So ~7200lbs on the hitch and ~500lbs in the bed. Bed toolbox 250lbs easy, another 200 of misc gear, weigh distribution hitch is like another 100. Anyways I think she tows great, I feel totally in control driving with this set up even at the weights posted. Even with oversized tires I've handled sudden freeway stops just fine. Two trips out with it so far. One 90mi I got 15 mpg and second was 50mi stop/go windy got 13.5 mpg. Just keep her under 65 and don't go cross country. You'll be fine
20191025_174738.jpg

·
Registered
237 Posts
2016 CCLB LT 2.8 dmax. Afe coilovers, intercooler tubes and intake, 1" rear blocks, hellwig 500lb springs, 32 inch ATs, tow mirrors and not tuned.

Trailer is 29' long and about 6100lbs empty and about 720lb tongue weight. Food, clothes, propane, full tanks etc is 1000lbs more easy.
So ~7200lbs on the hitch and ~500lbs in the bed. Bed toolbox 250lbs easy, another 200 of misc gear, weigh distribution hitch is like another 100. Anyways I think she tows great, I feel totally in control driving with this set up even at the weights posted. Even with oversized tires I've handled sudden freeway stops just fine. Two trips out with it so far. One 90mi I got 15 mpg and second was 50mi stop/go windy got 13.5 mpg. Just keep her under 65 and don't go cross country. You'll be fine

G'luck, dude View attachment 8584

·
Registered
237 Posts

G'luck dude. You're right on it. It's a personal decision on how much you want to push things, and brake wise, I'm guessing that you're still "safe". But please, no whining next year about your trans not locking up, shuddering, etc. Especially with those "oversized tires" that, by definition, add trans torque.....

·
Registered
224 Posts

So ~7200lbs on the hitch and ~500lbs in the bed. Bed toolbox 250lbs easy, another 200 of misc gear, weigh distribution hitch is like another 100. Anyways I think she tows great, I feel totally in control driving with this set up even at the weights posted. Even with oversized tires I've handled sudden freeway stops just fine. Two trips out with it so far. One 90mi I got 15 mpg and second was 50mi stop/go windy got 13.5 mpg. Just keep her under 65 and don't go cross country. You'll be fine View attachment 8584
Wow that is a big rig.
Mine is 21 feet or so. A toy hauler 4300 empty add 900lbs motorcycle and all the rest of the junk and at approx 6100lbs I feel bad for the little 2.8.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I work construction and do about 20-25k miles a year. At 79k now, just about due for trans fluid and filter change again. Just gonna keep pushing on her hard, see what tomorrow brings. If your scared go to church, or let the wife/daughter have it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I work construction and do about 20-25k miles a year. At 79k now, just about due for trans fluid and filter change again. Just gonna keep pushing on her hard, see what tomorrow brings. If your scared go to church, or let the wife/daughter have it.
i think that’s the ticket for these trucks. Keep them going. The longer they run each day the better. Lots of miles especially on the highway.
mine is 1.5 years old has 26000 on it. No issues.

Rob

·
Registered
237 Posts
Dudes and dudettes. The names of the games are to (1) stay consistently well below GCVW, and (2) overserve.

#1. Goodman stress. Repeated loads to failure increase exponentially as each of those loads goes down. And below a certain inflection point, they go up even more. This is how you get to 400K miles with your daily drivers.

#2. Overserving not only insures that you don't undermaintain mechanically. It also buffers you against the inevitable overlooks.

Want the best cost/mile of the driving that you actually drive? I.e., the duty you actually want/need to impose on your mules? Me too. Make your 2.8 work hard, but well within it's limits, and pamper it with XS maintenance. True for ALL trucks.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve towed this the past two summers. 30 feet. 6800 pounds dry. Maybe 7500 loaded. Tows amazing. Especially off the line. On very large hills it will slow me to 85 KMS/Hr but not a whole lot of large hills here in Saskatchewan. I’ve been able to still do 125 KMS/hr although it eats up the fuel pretty quick. The transmission will get fairly hot on warm summer days but it gets fairly hot even when not pulling anything. I probably average 15 MPG towing this rig
7D73696A-AF33-4BFE-9799-9B19F2EBD923.jpeg
7DEC5DBA-7BD6-47C7-9CEC-92D122640F7C.jpeg

·
Registered
237 Posts
I’ve towed this the past two summers. 30 feet. 6800 pounds dry. Maybe 7500 loaded. Tows amazing. Especially off the line. On very large hills it will slow me to 85 KMS/Hr but not a whole lot of large hills here in Saskatchewan. I’ve been able to still do 125 KMS/hr although it eats up the fuel pretty quick. The transmission will get fairly hot on warm summer days but it gets fairly hot even when not pulling anything. I probably average 15 MPG towing this rig View attachment 8595 View attachment 8597
Saying this in the nicest possible way. "DUDE" (grabbing you by both collars). "STOP!!" TOO much weight. TOO much X sectional area. TOO much speed, at 75+ m/h. I tow LOTS, and don't want to meet you wobbling back and forth on a 2 lane Canadian "road". Folks, this channels the old ad with the pickup ( refresh me folks, what brand?) "towing" a rail car, or some such. They can move it, but then what?

Oh, BTW, beauty truck. Biased because it mirrors mine. Except for the Mickey Mouse mirrors, which you really should replace with overpriced Aussie auto mirrors, if you want to tow ANY over wide trailer, including the trailer you shouldn't be towing at all...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Saying this in the nicest possible way. "DUDE" (grabbing you by both collars). "STOP!!" TOO much weight. TOO much X sectional area. TOO much speed, at 75+ m/h. I tow LOTS, and don't want to meet you wobbling back and forth on a 2 lane Canadian "road". Folks, this channels the old ad with the pickup ( refresh me folks, what brand?) "towing" a rail car, or some such. They can move it, but then what?

Oh, BTW, beauty truck. Biased because it mirrors mine. Except for the Mickey Mouse mirrors, which you really should replace with overpriced Aussie auto mirrors, if you want to tow ANY over wide trailer, including the trailer you shouldn't be towing at all...
Lol.. it’s rated for 7700 LBS which realistically mean it could tow close to 10000.
I live in the windiest province in Canada and there is very little sway except in a 60km/hr sidewind.
You kind of have to judge the tow by how it goes.. it’s a smooth tow.. I love when someone pulls up beside me at a light in the city thinking I’m gonna hold them up... then I gun on off the line and am up to 60 Kms/hr in seconds and they are questioning their judgement.
As for the mirrors.. I don’t need them, they only help when changing lanes, other then that they are useless but it’s just an extra angle and not a full time replacement.
Keep on towing your tent trailer. I’ll keep towing mine. ?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Lol.. it’s rated for 7700 LBS which realistically mean it could tow close to 10000.
I live in the windiest province in Canada and there is very little sway except in a 60km/hr sidewind.
You kind of have to judge the tow by how it goes.. it’s a smooth tow.. I love when someone pulls up beside me at a light in the city thinking I’m gonna hold them up... then I gun on off the line and am up to 60 Kms/hr in seconds and they are questioning their judgement.
As for the mirrors.. I don’t need them, they only help when changing lanes, other then that they are useless but it’s just an extra angle and not a full time replacement.
Keep on towing your tent trailer. I’ll keep towing mine. ?
" it’s rated for 7700 LBS which realistically mean it could tow close to 10000."

In your dreams. On earth, you DERATE from the GM fantasy number.

"Keep on towing your tent trailer."

RU Canadian? F so, then go to Chilliwack, BC and check out the "tent" trailer that I've towed for well over 20K miles in 2 years. An Escape 5.0 TA is a tandem axle, bed hitch that weighs out at over 5K#, loaded. But it's MUCH shorter narrower, slicker, better balanced, and better mounted than yours. I tow with a GCVWR of over 10k#, versus a max of ~12.7k#. But unlike you, I am not a menace to others on the road....

·
Registered
3 Posts
" it’s rated for 7700 LBS which realistically mean it could tow close to 10000."

In your dreams. On earth, you DERATE from the GM fantasy number.

"Keep on towing your tent trailer."

RU Canadian? F so, then go to Chilliwack, BC and check out the "tent" trailer that I've towed for well over 20K miles in 2 years. An Escape 5.0 TA is a tandem axle, bed hitch that weighs out at over 5K#, loaded. But it's MUCH shorter narrower, slicker, better balanced, and better mounted than yours. I tow with a GCVWR of over 10k#, versus a max of ~12.7k#. But unlike you, I am not a menace to others on the road....
Excuse me? Who the heck are you to say I’m a menace on the road? You gotta know your margins bud.. I don’t drive 125 all the time.. that’s pretty rare tbh.. maybe on the twin going down to Regina where the average vehicle is already going 120.
Have you towed my trailer? You would be surprised. I could almost guarantee you that you wouldn’t notice the difference if you were in any full size half ton, other then your fuel economy would be 8 MPG.
The trailer might appear wider in the picture but it’s really not much wider then my truck.
I probably wouldn’t tow this trailer in BC with this truck but I’m in SK.. and here it TOWS AMAZING! ?

·
Registered
237 Posts
View attachment 8923
8.5x20 converted to a camper for 4 this summer. Weighs a hair over 5000# but an Andersen WDH and boost auto mirrors help immensely.
Nice and r
View attachment 8923
8.5x20 converted to a camper for 4 this summer. Weighs a hair over 5000# but an Andersen WDH and boost auto mirrors help immensely.
Nice and roomy, but I would think that pushing all that air out of the way would get you into your foot feed at much over 60.

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
A better pic, hooked up.

The Bike E FX recumbent and Cannon step thru have been replaced with an Aurora Evelo auto trans 750 watt mid drive with a bigger battery, and a Biktrix 750 watt mid drive with the 'droided up Sturmey Archer 5 speed integral hub. Requires an e bike hitch, which when loaded, pushes our Escape rear hitch rating. But we remove batteries and seats to sneak it in under the max. We cover it all up with an oversized bike cover and watch it with our trailer cam. Pulls just fine and bikes are rock steady.

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Excuse me? Who the heck are you to say I’m a menace on the road? You gotta know your margins bud.. I don’t drive 125 all the time.. that’s pretty rare tbh.. maybe on the twin going down to Regina where the average vehicle is already going 120.
Have you towed my trailer? You would be surprised. I could almost guarantee you that you wouldn’t notice the difference if you were in any full size half ton, other then your fuel economy would be 8 MPG.
The trailer might appear wider in the picture but it’s really not much wider then my truck.
I probably wouldn’t tow this trailer in BC with this truck but I’m in SK.. and here it TOWS AMAZING! ?
No, I won't excuse you. Too much trailer for your truck. Period. When you mention "margins", you've obviously not added yours up. Between your side area, frontal weight, speeds, what you probably haul in your bed and back seat, you are indeed a menace to you and others near you on the road. Stop doing this. Now.

But I'll throw a bone. Last month I camped along side another 2.8'er towing a trailer about as wide and long as mine. He had add on mirror extenders that cost a fraction of mine and worked just about as well. So, I lux'd out on mine, and might have made his decision, on hind sight.

3 Posts
Nice and r

Nice and roomy, but I would think that pushing all that air out of the way would get you into your foot feed at much over 60.
It's surprisingly not to bad. I keep it at 65 and the truck chugs along at about 2000 rpm, 12-13mpg on my last trip. The V on the trailer helps cut wind but it's actually the drag of the back of the trailer that hurts the most. I've been considering getting some of those vortex creating triangles like some semi trailers have. Might help slightly with mileage but it would be more for counteracting the pull when I'm passed by larger vehicles.

161 - 180 of 202 Posts