Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to send a signal from my Chevy Colorado diesel FWD to the cab of my motor home. I need this signal to insure that the transfer case is in Neutral. GM has left me high and dry for support. Same with local dealership.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Is this a wiring/pigtail thing? I've never towed with a motor home. I think you just have to personally/manually check it, before you start your tow. Maco_O

·
Registered
2017 GMC Canyon LB SLT 2.8L Duramaxtune. Loads of upgrades.
78 Posts
I need to send a signal from my Chevy Colorado diesel FWD to the cab of my motor home. I need this signal to ensure that the transfer case is in Neutral. GM has left me high and dry for support. Same with local dealership.
I have my Canyon set up to tow and ensure it's in Neutral before I begin (page 255 in the manual I think). The light on the transfer case switch tells you when it's in "N" and they give you a procedure to follow (see below).

Not sure why you need the signal sent to your RV unless your RV has some safety thing or you installed something. I installed the SMI Brake system (https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Braking-Systems/SMI/SM99251.html) and that includes all the necessary wiring and an LED that sticks to the back of the rearview mirror so I can see when my toad brakes are activated from my coaches rearview camera.

Shifting Into N (Neutral)

To shift:
  1. Park the vehicle on a level surface.
  2. Set the parking brake and press and hold the brake pedal. See Parking Brake.
  3. Start the vehicle or turn the ignition to ON/RUN.
  4. Shift the transmission to N (Neutral).
  5. Shift the transfer case to 2M.
  6. Turn the transfer case knob clockwise to N (Neutral) until it stops and hold it there until the N (Neutral) light starts blinking. This will take at least 10 seconds. Then slowly release the dial to the 4 n position. The N (Neutral) light will come on when the transfer case shift to N (Neutral) is complete.
  7. With the engine running, verify that the transfer case is in N (Neutral) by shifting the transmission to R (Reverse), then to D (Drive). There should be no movement of the vehicle while shifting the transmission.
  8. Turn the engine off, and the ignition to ACC/ACCESSORY.
  9. Place the transmission shift lever in P (Park). See Recreational Vehicle Towing.
  10. Turn the ignition to LOCK/OFF.
Shifting Out of N (Neutral)

To shift:
Caution: Shifting the transmission into gear before the requested mode indicator light has stopped flashing could damage the transfer case.
  1. Set the parking brake and apply the brake pedal.
  2. Turn the ignition to ON/RUN with the engine off.
  3. Shift the transmission to N (Neutral).
  4. Turn the transfer case knob to 2M.
    After the transfer case has shifted out of N (Neutral), the N (Neutral) light will go out.
  5. Release the parking brake.
  6. Start the engine and shift the transmission to the desired gear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My suggestion is to print David Frentress input from above and store in your glove compartment. It is exactly perfect. I've been doing it this way for four years with zero problems with my GMC Canyon diesel.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I read this same info from the manual PDF. Thought he had the manual at a minimum. thx2net hit it on the head, the OP sounded like it was a wiring/pigtail thing, to send a signal to a monitor on the dash of his motor home and I have never heard of that option. Mac:confused:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts