Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

So where will the 2.8 Duramax be made after 2020?

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  RolfR 
#1 ·

"In Thailand, the decision to sell GM's plant in Rayong, south of Bangkok, may well end up being good news for workers there.
Great Wall Motors, a major maker of sport utility vehicles and pickups, said it intends to expand in Southeast Asia using the plant in Thailand as its base."

#2 ·
I doubt it. Replacing the 2.8 with the 2.7 turbo 4, with it's 310 HP and 348 TQ would be a fair trade though, that engine would be awesome in our trucks. I sure do not want a 2.8 that has anything to do with China in it's manufacture.

I also doubt GM will go through the expense of developing a new Twins specific diesel, and to be honest the current engine has been a significant warranty headache for GM. A good running problem free 2.8 (which is most of them I suppose) is gonna be gold in the future :cool:

#7 ·
The headache issue for GM is the emissions BS in Europe, Australia and North America. The number 1 selling pickup in Brazil is the Chevy S10 which is a Canyon with a few differences. The Chevy S10 has surpassed the Toyota Hilux in sales!! The good news on the Duramax here in Brasil is it does not have the emissions crap so way less issues. There is no vehicle inspection in Brasil so you can do whatever you want with the vehicle. I believe GM will continue to produce the S10 duramax here in South America for at least 5 more years. There is zero EV investment here. There is no way the government can prepare the infrastructure of any South American country to support EV. South America will continue to run on oil for decades . Petrobras is the Brazilian government oil and natural gas company generating the bulk of the countries revenue. No way they are just going to shut it down for the EV craze.

#3 ·
Yea, I agree with Duken4evr. I like my truck, but I've heard a lot of people with issues with them. They have the 3.0 now for the half tons and it is supposed to be better than our engine in every way (supposedly) and be in a larger truck. Unless they decide to take it upon themselves and build a new diesel engine to replace the 2.8, such as they did with the 3.0.

#4 ·
So the mid size Duramax is dead? A Chinese company takes over the 2.8 plant in Thailand at the end of the year. no announcement of a new engine option or where else the 2.8 might be produced, maybe they just kill off the twins?

#5 ·
I doubt the twins will be killed off - GM sells a decent number of Colorados. If they did kill one off, it would be the Canyon. Not sure if they don't just count the Canyon in with the Colorado for profit purposes, since they are the same mechanically anyway.

The CUV space seems most logical for EVs. Hyndai has a nice one in the Kona EV. Range is 250 miles, liquid cooled 64 kWh battery, 205 EV horsepower, 10 year warranty and "lifetime" battery warranty for the original owner, and a lot less than a Tesla Model 3, much less a Model X. My wife wants one :LOL:

#6 ·
Oh well, by the time mine is dead for good they will have us all riding the bus.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.