Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BACKGROUND: Bought my 2017 Canyon 2.8L in Sept 2019 with 32000 miles. Topped the DEF tank at a truck stop in my first week of ownership. Installed an oil catch can. Have no reason to believe the truck was tuned by the original owner. Have not taken it in for the GMC recall on the CPU. Used diesel additive summer and winter and changed engine oil at 18%.

QUESTION: Have put 9500 total miles on it; averaging 30.6 MPG over the last 2200 miles of mostly rural driving. Only twice have I taken note of the regen process; once when the MPG suddenly dropped to 24 for about 30 minutes of driving before returning to 36 MPG; and once when I smelled the odor as I pulled into my garage. My DEF indicator panel still just reads "OK" - with no indication yet of percentage remaining.

Having seen that the 5.2 gallon DEF tank should provide "over 6500 miles" in other posts, I am beginning to wonder why I haven't needed to refill the DEF yet.

Any thoughts?
Is there any way to call up a reading?
Should I have it checked out at a GMC dealer?
Any potential risks to the EGR because regens may not be occurring as frequently as they should?

Thanks for your input. Peace/Out

·
Registered
177 Posts
BACKGROUND: Bought my 2017 Canyon 2.8L in Sept 2019 with 32000 miles. Topped the DEF tank at a truck stop in my first week of ownership. Installed an oil catch can. Have no reason to believe the truck was tuned by the original owner. Have not taken it in for the GMC recall on the CPU. Used diesel additive summer and winter and changed engine oil at 18%.

QUESTION: Have put 9500 total miles on it; averaging 30.6 MPG over the last 2200 miles of mostly rural driving. Only twice have I taken note of the regen process; once when the MPG suddenly dropped to 24 for about 30 minutes of driving before returning to 36 MPG; and once when I smelled the odor as I pulled into my garage. My DEF indicator panel still just reads "OK" - with no indication yet of percentage remaining.

Having seen that the 5.2 gallon DEF tank should provide "over 6500 miles" in other posts, I am beginning to wonder why I haven't needed to refill the DEF yet.

Any thoughts?
Any potential risks to the EGR because regens may not be occurring as frequently as they should?

Regens and def are tow totally independent systems.

If the truck is tuned, all it would do on the EGR side is possibly keep it closed for good. This will keep the DPF from having to regen as often as it won't be getting as polluted as quickly.

As far as DEF goes I have only put in on average 2.5 gal every 5500 miles or so. The measurement on the DIC is less then stellar. It will just pop up and say you only have 25% left and when it gets low enough, sometime later it will count in miles the distance until empty. Last time mine popped up I drove for 300 miles or so and then it gave me a 200 mile warning.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm....at your estimate of 2.5 gal / 5500 mi or so you've driven; my 5.2 gal would give me ~11,500 mi. However, it seems like the DIC on my truck should be displaying some "percentage remaining" after the >9000 mi I've driven since I filled the DEF tank. Has always just shown "OK" and still does after 9000 mi!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hmmm....at your estimate of 2.5 gal / 5500 mi or so you've driven; my 5.2 gal would give me ~11,500 mi. However, it seems like the DIC on my truck should be displaying some "percentage remaining" after the >9000 mi I've driven since I filled the DEF tank. Has always just shown "OK" and still does after 9000 mi!
LOL if you're lucky enough maybe it will never ask you to add DEF... point YOU!

·
Registered
177 Posts
BTW DEf usage is totally dependent on engine loading. If you're cruising mostly in the 30+ a gallon range your DEF will last a long time. When you run up steep grades or tow a load you will be digging into the throttle and creating more NOX and consequently DEF usage will rise to compensate.

·
Registered
258 Posts
BTW DEf usage is totally dependent on engine loading. If you're cruising mostly in the 30+ a gallon range your DEF will last a long time. When you run up steep grades or tow a load you will be digging into the throttle and creating more NOX and consequently DEF usage will rise to compensate.
~46K miles on a truck identical to yours, except for the color. I've kept mileage and DEF records all along, and DEF usage seems to correlate more with fuel usage than miles drive. I get ~59 gal fuel/gal DEF.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Any thoughts?

I have the identical truck, and am at 40k. Because of this forum I am now adding Diesel Clean with each fill up and shopping for a good catch can to install. One recommendation was the Sasquatch Pro 200, a might pricy $425 for the entire bundle. After shopping I see you can spend from $30.00 to the $425. My question is are you better off spending the extra $ or do the less expensive ones do basically the same job?
Thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have the identical truck, and am at 40k. Because of this forum I am now adding Diesel Clean with each fill up and shopping for a good catch can to install. One recommendation was the Sasquatch Pro 200, a might pricy $425 for the entire bundle. After shopping I see you can spend from $30.00 to the $425. My question is are you better off spending the extra $ or do the less expensive ones do basically the same job?
Thanks
Consider the M+H Provent 200 which many of us have installed. At about $140.00 plus another $60.00 for hoses, fittings and a mounting bracket, it is a reasonable solution to the oil/air blowby. Others have had good results with other solutions, and there are quite a few threads out there on those systems.
Also, Power Service Diesel Kleen is a good fuel additive, and it is highly recommended by Cummins.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts

Any thoughts?

I get about 5000 miles on a full tank of DEF, When it gets to 20% on screen indicator I add a jug, I think 2.5-3.0 gal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
~46K miles on a truck identical to yours, except for the color. I've kept mileage and DEF records all along, and DEF usage seems to correlate more with fuel usage than miles drive. I get ~59 gal fuel/gal DEF.
Thanks for that formula! At 5.2 gal fill and my mpg I may now just be coming to a message popup. Guess I wait a little longer before trying to run a dipstick or disconnect the lower line. Thanks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thanks for that formula! At 5.2 gal fill and my mpg I may now just be coming to a message popup. Guess I wait a little longer before trying to run a dipstick or disconnect the lower line. Thanks.
You're welcome, but please consider the "~" in my last post. It's not a perfect parameter (it certainly changes between idle and near full power, engine r/m, etc.), but it is certainly better than mileage/unit DEF usage. In practice, I add as soon as I get home (or next stop if I'm on the road, from the container I knew to buy and carry) when I see the 30% left reminder. Or when I know I can cram in another 2.5 gal (if you keep a spreadsheet, then you will know and be motivated to act). Do that and you will not stub your toe and have to limp - at least from low DEF...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To clarify my original post.....
my issue is that I have driven over 9000 miles since topping off my DEF tank and have STILL NOT RECEIVED any message on DIC that my DEF level is low.

·
Registered
258 Posts
To clarify my original post.....
my issue is that I have driven over 9000 miles since topping off my DEF tank and have STILL NOT RECEIVED any message on DIC that my DEF level is low.

Sorry the thread wandered, and for my part in that. Your original post was clear.

Here's what I know/believe:

1. You should be out of DEF, given normal, stock, usage.
2. My low DEF reading, has been quite dependable, w.r.t. gallons of fuel used.
3. You should, be limping/stopped, with a working, stock, system.
4. You should therefore find out why you are seemingly beating the system with no obvious consequences, whether or not you have a tune you don't know about. Even if the tune is operationally successful.
5. If you are on warranty, find out outside the GM system.

I reviewed the thread, and so far no one (including me) has answered all of your questions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for your kind reply.

This evening I ran a 1/2in diameter x 5ft long black plastic tubing down my DEF fill tube.
Pulled it back out and it was dry bone dry.
Reinserted it again and at intervals of 3ft, 4ft, etc. blew air through it and then drew air in from it - again showing the tank is dry. It appears my use of DEF is now "optional" and I intend to add DEF to my tank.
SO WHAT NEXT!

I bought this truck from a Ford Dealer who'd taken it in trade when they sold a F250 to its owner. The story went that he'd used the Canyon to tow a trailer for his work. He'd gotten a promotion that required he pull a far heavier trailer. He'd negotiated the sale via internet from an adjoining state (over 200 miles away) because of their "far better pricing". Likewise, I'd driven ~100 miles to see this truck because they listed it for $3000 less than any 2.8L Canyon/Colorado I'd found within 500 miles of me.

The Ford dealer had performed air/oil/fuel filter changes and a Dexos2 oil change.

I think I can now assume there may have been a "tune" done by its former owner, as it appears the ECM no longer is monitoring the DEF level.

1. Is there a way I can determine what tune may have been performed?
  2. Can such a tune also turn off the EGR system or does the EGR need to be removed.
  3. If the EGR system had to be removed, where can I find schematic/photo showing its exact location so I can investigate.
  4. I've never had a DIC message that a DPF regen was either "in progress" or "required." Does this mean anything? There's been one occasion when I noticed a 5MPG drop in mileage while I was driving (I keep the DIC on instantaneous mileage) and one occasion when it really stank when I pulled into my garage. It's my understanding that fuel is injected into the rear catalytic to raise temp to burn soot accumulation and that no DEF is "required." Is this correct?
  5. Is there anything else I may be missing in all this?

Thanks for responses to date, and future help.

Peace / Out

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thank you for your kind reply.

This evening I ran a 1/2in diameter x 5ft long black plastic tubing down my DEF fill tube.
Pulled it back out and it was dry bone dry.
Reinserted it again and at intervals of 3ft, 4ft, etc. blew air through it and then drew air in from it - again showing the tank is dry. It appears my use of DEF is now "optional" and I intend to add DEF to my tank.
SO WHAT NEXT!

I bought this truck from a Ford Dealer who'd taken it in trade when they sold a F250 to its owner. The story went that he'd used the Canyon to tow a trailer for his work. He'd gotten a promotion that required he pull a far heavier trailer. He'd negotiated the sale via internet from an adjoining state (over 200 miles away) because of their "far better pricing". Likewise, I'd driven ~100 miles to see this truck because they listed it for $3000 less than any 2.8L Canyon/Colorado I'd found within 500 miles of me.

The Ford dealer had performed air/oil/fuel filter changes and a Dexos2 oil change.

I think I can now assume there may have been a "tune" done by its former owner, as it appears the ECM no longer is monitoring the DEF level.

1. Is there a way I can determine what tune may have been performed?
  2. Can such a tune also turn off the EGR system or does the EGR need to be removed.
  3. If the EGR system had to be removed, where can I find schematic/photo showing its exact location so I can investigate.
  4. I've never had a DIC message that a DPF regen was either "in progress" or "required." Does this mean anything? There's been one occasion when I noticed a 5MPG drop in mileage while I was driving (I keep the DIC on instantaneous mileage) and one occasion when it really stank when I pulled into my garage. It's my understanding that fuel is injected into the rear catalytic to raise temp to burn soot accumulation and that no DEF is "required." Is this correct?
  5. Is there anything else I may be missing in all this?

Thanks for responses to date, and future help.

Peace / Out

Well lets see if I can answer some of your questions,
1 If you had an "autocal" you could pull the current data and one of the tuning companies could probably tell you via the file extension if it's a sock file or not.
2 If the EGR is turned off, it can just hang there without removing it. From others that have removed it they said it's a real pain in the a$$.
3 All that is needed is a blocking plate (hard to find now because of EPA crap) and closing up the cooling lines.
4 There's not a DIC message when a regen occures. You will see an MPG drop during the event. Typically for me I see about 14 to 18 minutes of regen time if I'm on the interstate then the MPG will jump back up when done.
You are correct that DEF and the DFP regen system are two independent systems.
The def system is a POS so count your blessings it's turned off.

hope this helps

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sure did!

I've actually sent an email to the fellow who sold me the truck, asking only that he forward it to the original owner.

I'd like to know the nature of any tune (company, any controller device available, and how I would remove it should I need any work performed during the remainder of my warranty).

Any information or tips about how I might work with my mechanic to determine any tuning files on the ECM would be much appreciated.

Stay safe and healthy all.

Peace / Out

·
Registered
177 Posts
great, I'd be (and others) interested to see if you get a response.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
First: Thanks to everyone who's replied. Your insights and experience much appreciated.

So: Heard from original owner. He works in "after-market automotive" sales. Said he'd actually looked into various tunes when he first got the truck but never found exactly what he wanted; so no tune. He'd kept the DEF filled and therefore had never seen, or expected, a low level message.

Current status therefore:
  1. DEF tank is empty and zero evidence (pee stains) along undercarriage; so it's been burned.
  2. No message on DIC except "Okay".
  3. Had been averaging 30.1 MPG over previous 2200 miles but note 29.2 over last 350 miles on the last fill (from the same stations pump that I've been using over last 6 months).
  4. I'll either buy a box of fresh DEF or put 2 gallons in at a truck stop and watch what happens.
  5. Now that I know there's no tune on the truck, I feel my warranty is safe if I take it to the GMC dealer, but frankly don't see any real concern I should have with this issue!
ANY ADVICE OR EXPERIENCE TO THE CONTRARY?

Stay safe / wear the PIA mask
Peace / Out

1 - 20 of 20 Posts