Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased my 2017 Canyon SLT 2.8L in September - 32, 700 miles on it. As far as I know it's factory stock and has not been "tuned."

I installed a Racor 4500 CCV some 1500 miles ago......it attaches to a 2nd "generic" catch can. At installation I did not find any sludge or oily deposits in the distal end of the air intake, or on the turbo fan or its housing. Temps been mostly in the 30s, and only as low as 17 F for a few days, here in Southern Michigan. Today was a balmy 43 F so I decided to open the Racor to inspect its filter and drain trap.

I noted only a very lightly smudged area about the size of a nickel on the filter, which otherwise seemed dry. What surprised me was the absence of any oil, and the presence of 4-5 oz of water, at the bottom of the Racor and partially filling the trap. The water was nearly clear; no particules, no film or beads of oil, and no discernible odor - seems to be only water.

I guess this amount of condensation tells me that the Racor is an effective cooling chamber for the hot PVC gases passing through. I think I can feel somewhat confident that shards of ice will not be pinging against the turbo fan this Winter. It also tells me I'd better drain the trap every week or so, once the temps stay below 20 and dip down below 0, to prevent the filter from icing up and raising pressure in the engine.

Does anyone knowledgeable on the subject have any further comment --- especially if I am missing something of vital importance.

Thanks
Peace/Out

·
Registered
96 Posts
The Raccor is one bad ass catch can. Running a Provent 200 here, was too cheap to pop for the Raccor and I have catch can envy :D

I see no need to run anything other than the excellent Raccor. You don't want to cause restriction in the PCV flow from more devices on the line, as that can cause the main seal to leak or even blow out. I recall that happening to a guy on the COFans board - he was running a Provent and another can and had a main seal leak. It resolved when he took off the 2nd unit.

Winter is a pain with catch cans. Here in Denver where I am it is so dry I don't see water, but more humid cold environments will see plenty. Worse case scenario, your Raccor freezes up and it's high pressure pop off vent activates, and you have a small oily/watery mess on your hands. I would just check it once a week or so and drain it as needed.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Like duken4evr said. You got a test proven catch can. You are good to go. Like Diken4evr, I also have the ProVent 200 and quite happy with it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Where did you guys get your ProVent from?
Was it a complete kit?
I like the fact they are plastic and if mounted to firewall would have at least some hope of not freezing.
All the metal ones I have used here in Alberta freeze with the associated problems.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Where did you guys get your ProVent from?
Was it a complete kit?
I like the fact they are plastic and if mounted to firewall would have at least some hope of not freezing.
All the metal ones I have used here in Alberta freeze with the associated problems.
I got mine off of Amazon. Mine came with one extra filter. That’s it. I got my hoses at a local autozone. The inlet/outlet on the ProVent 200 are 1” outer diameter, the hose for the 2.8 is 3/4”. You will need 2 reducers to make it fit.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Oil rated hose is a little tricky to find. Heater hose will work for awhile, but the oil fumes will soften it. I found 3/4" oil rated hose at NAPA. My NAPA did not have 1" oil rated hose though, so I am using two short lengths of 1" heater hose for the "adapters" to the Provent, and changing it out about once a year when it starts to get soft from oil exposure.

I have mine mounted to the side of the radiator, in front of the airbox. It is pretty easy to mount there, and the cap is easily accessible too.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks guys!
ProVent ordered from Amazon.
Will fab my own bracket.
Once done, will pull and clean intercooler and check intake etc.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Thanks guys!
ProVent ordered from Amazon.
Will fab my own bracket.
Once done, will pull and clean intercooler and check intake etc.
one more thing, I attached a clear hose to the bottom of the ProVent, ran it down to the chassis behind the front bumper and have a standard brass ball valve attached at the end. I drain that clear tube periodically. That is where the catch oil will come out.

·
Registered
88 Posts
one more thing, I attached a clear hose to the bottom of the ProVent, ran it down to the chassis behind the front bumper and have a standard brass ball valve attached at the end. I drain that clear tube periodically. That is where the catch oil will come out.
That’s exactly what I have planned.
I have an ARB winch bumper on mine so will be slightly easier to access I hope.
Thanks for your help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts