Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Canyon 2.8 diesel that I purchased new. It only has 40,000 miles on it and dealer serviced since new. I have had trouble after trouble with it and it has never had a trailer hooked up to it or a load of any kind in it. It has never been off road. The last 5 months I have had the Stabilitrak message come on 3 times and then of course it goes into limp mode. The dealer on the 1st time said that it was do to a steering sensor… which they replaced. The 2nd time they said the trans needed rebuilt (which it was shuddering) and they rebuilt ($5,000) and now 3 weeks later it’s on for the 3rd time. It happens while going straight down the highway. Anyone have any ideas since it’s out of warranty?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2017 colorado z71 modified
63 Posts
Unfortunately that code gets thrown anytime there is a bad sensor that has to do with powertrain. Ive had a bad accelerator pedal, chaffed wiring harness under the fuse box, bad egt #1 sensor, abs sensor got ripped off and just about anytime my pedal commander acts up.
I've replaced my entire steering system 1 year ago and never seen a sensor of any kind the steering rack has a assist motor that the only plug in I remember being in the steering system.

Do you have an actual # code being thrown? Otherwise it could be a sensor or could be a bad ecu or body control module.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply! Yep they say there are no codes stored when I take it to the dealer. I really like (liked) the truck and I purchased it as my retirement vehicle. As I mentioned I’ve had ALL kinds of troubles with it (hood wouldn’t 3-times in the shop, touch screen froze… needs replaced, auto up window doesn’t work and the Stabilitrak message 3 times) and I just got it paid off in November and then I retired. After that the Stabilitrak message came on while in park and they said it was a steering sensor and then it came on again then they said it was the transmission. I think that since I told them the tranny was acting up they used it as the excuse. I got it rebuilt and 3 weeks later the message is on again. Some retirement vehicle.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
2016 Colorado LT+ Diesel 4x4
3 Posts
Your post sounds like my current problem with my 2016 2.8 that has run great for 116k miles until recently. Over the past 6 months the engine light came on but no codes found, and then the stabilitrak message showed when resetting with scan tool.

Within the last week it got the dreaded contaminated DEF - 99 miles to 65mph message with a permanent P118b message that blocks the rest of the display. I got new 5610rs to find out more -. it shows permanent code P0118b and says most likely needs DPF matter sensor replaced. So I washed underside, checked wiring, etc as suggested in other posts. Now down to 5 miles.

I used the 5610rs to initiate a regen, but could not because the ECT coolant temp sensor shows 147 when the dash gauge shows 165+. To me that suggests I should first replace the ECT sensor. Does that sound like a wise plan ?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Your post sounds like my current problem with my 2016 2.8 that has run great for 116k miles until recently. Over the past 6 months the engine light came on but no codes found, and then the stabilitrak message showed when resetting with scan tool.

Within the last week it got the dreaded contaminated DEF - 99 miles to 65mph message with a permanent P118b message that blocks the rest of the display. I got new 5610rs to find out more -. it shows permanent code P0118b and says most likely needs DPF matter sensor replaced. So I washed underside, checked wiring, etc as suggested in other posts. Now down to 5 miles.

I used the 5610rs to initiate a regen, but could not because the ECT coolant temp sensor shows 147 when the dash gauge shows 165+. To me that suggests I should first replace the ECT sensor. Does that sound like a wise plan ?
The dash gauge is just a feel good thing. The scan gauge will give you the real temp, you just need to make sure that it's up to the expected temp to start the regen. On a different subject from the DPF, the NOX sensors are what determine the how much NOX is in the exhaust stream. If the sensors are going bad it will throw a bad DEF code. There is not a DEF sensor that knows the quality of the fluid. It's determined by pre and post level of two NOX sensors after DEF is introduced into the SCR.

·
Registered
2016 Colorado LT+ Diesel 4x4
3 Posts
While I primarily use it as a farm truck, I also commute 50mi/day at 65+.

I appreciate your guidance on the NOx sensors, makes sense, but 5610rs scan tool shows no problems with NOx sensors - appear to operate in range.

Will replace ECT sensor first on 10th, then try to regen. If still can't, then will replace DEF particulate matter sensor. If still get DTC, will replace NOx sensors. And post progress update.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts