Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here store diesel at home? I'm talking onroad for our Colorados?

I'd like to figure out if it is possible to store 3-4 55-gallon drums in my garage. Garage is insulated and never really drops below 40. Outdoors frequent drops below zero, so that's not really an option.

Getting the drums and a pump is easy; wondering how to go about getting the fuel.

I called a handful of fuel delivery services, but the delivery charges based on my (relatively) low desired quantity and my somewhat remote location are somewhat cost-prohibitive.

I don't have a forklift or tailgate lift, and I've read that attempting to fill the barrels while in the bed of the truck presents safety issues with electrical grounding. Plus, once they'd be full, I don't have a good way to get them out and into the garage except to roll 'em.

I suppose I could go get a mess of jerry cans and try to fill em that way, but seems like it'd take forever.

Anyone have any thoughts on angles I'm not seeing/thinking of?

Thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
My dad did something similar with gasoline - filled them off the bulk truck. He unloaded them by dropping them off the back of a pickup onto an old tire. The drums were verticle, full and the tires was on dirt/grass. Then he titled/rolled them where ever he wanted. The drums were 55gal steel and were waste from his job. This was 50+ yrs ago...

·
Registered
488 Posts
I have one 55 gal drum in my shed. I filled it over time with jerrycans. I use it mainly for my Kabota tractor. Now I wish I had filled it a few weeks ago. Before the price of diesel got this high.

·
Registered
2017 colorado z71 modified
78 Posts
I keep 8, 55gallon drums full at all times but I also use it for tractors and heat. I do my fuel by filling a drum or 2 in bed of truck then get home pump that drum into an empty drum and repeat the process till they are all full, the last one I roll off the bed on 2x4 ramps. Diesel will keep for alot longer than gasoline somewhere between 3 and 5+ years if treated and bungs sealed properly. Just be sure the barrels have never had anything caustic in them look for food grade water base or oil based ingredients. If barrel has no label for what was in it walk away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts