Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its more for the mpg and power going up hills my only large concern is how is the Trucks reliability? I am looking at a 2022 Colorado 7Z1 with the 2.8L engine. I just having a hard time finding much info on how well this platform does down the road. The only thing I hear is transmission issues but not sure if that is the 8 speed on the Gas engine or the 6 speed on the Diesel. I have owned an Ecodiesel in the past and miss the power of that engine. This looks a little more reliable than the Eco Diesel on a whole but hard to find much other than sensor issues and emission problems. That and some cold weather climate issues that are somewhat a problem on all Diesel Trucks.

Should I do this since my Tacoma trade in value is so high right now? If I do it do you recommend extend bumper to bumper warranty? If I end doing more city driving how well does this handle that as long as I get on the Highway once a week to help with blowing out the old crap. Will I need to buy a catch can for Oil?

I am guessing blue def premium will be the way to go?

·
Registered
34 Posts
The larger transmission issues were the 8-Speed on the V6. The newer 2.8L's have had various upgrades to improve reliability. Big one being injectors. Most of the quibbles with the 2.8L are emission system related which are frustrating but nothing major.

Obviously pay attention to your DEF quality/date. Some here say they have had issues with Blue's Platinum, while others have not. However, DEF is basically Urea/Water so if it is certified it should work regardless of brand. Again, pay attention to the dates.

Catch can is a good idea and maybe even preemptively swapping out the rubber intake hoses for silicone ones.

I really like my truck, but you're going to have to weigh your own pros and cons about trading in. I sold my 2018 Z71 V6 for $2k more than I paid to CARVANA and bought my 2022 Canyon AT4 2.8L specifically because I was going to be towing. Otherwise, I would have probably just slapped a blower on the V6 and kept it forever. As far as gas mileage, the 2.8L mpg city is about 20% better than the V6, highway/towing is more around 50%. Power wise, lots of torque, tows great in its pocket of 60-65 mph. Wish it had more gears to keep the power in band. Lacks horsepower for moving quickly. Using TFL Trucks YouTube as an example the V6 faster uphill than the diesel but is very loud and chews through gas. The diesel just does its thing. A tune can fix a lot of that by adding about 40hp and 90ft-lbs at the expense of your warranty and way higher DEF usage.

Extended warranty I wouldn't ever buy right away, especially from the same dealer. You can shop those around and even use a service that will do that for you. Every dealer just about sets their own price, asking multiple dealers across the country will give you an idea what the range is and you can use that to negotiate an even better deal. Also, whether or not that is worth it to you depends on how much time and ability you have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The larger transmission issues were the 8-Speed on the V6. The newer 2.8L's have had various upgrades to improve reliability. Big one being injectors. Most of the quibbles with the 2.8L are emission system related which are frustrating but nothing major.

Obviously pay attention to your DEF quality/date. Some here say they have had issues with Blue's Platinum, while others have not. However, DEF is basically Urea/Water so if it is certified it should work regardless of brand. Again, pay attention to the dates.

Catch can is a good idea and maybe even preemptively swapping out the rubber intake hoses for silicone ones.

I really like my truck, but you're going to have to weigh your own pros and cons about trading in. I sold my 2018 Z71 V6 for $2k more than I paid to CARVANA and bought my 2022 Canyon AT4 2.8L specifically because I was going to be towing. Otherwise, I would have probably just slapped a blower on the V6 and kept it forever. As far as gas mileage, the 2.8L mpg city is about 20% better than the V6, highway/towing is more around 50%. Power wise, lots of torque, tows great in its pocket of 60-65 mph. Wish it had more gears to keep the power in band. Lacks horsepower for moving quickly. Using TFL Trucks YouTube as an example the V6 faster uphill than the diesel but is very loud and chews through gas. The diesel just does its thing. A tune can fix a lot of that by adding about 40hp and 90ft-lbs at the expense of your warranty and way higher DEF usage.

Extended warranty I wouldn't ever buy right away, especially from the same dealer. You can shop those around and even use a service that will do that for you. Every dealer just about sets their own price, asking multiple dealers across the country will give you an idea what the range is and you can use that to negotiate an even better deal. Also, whether or not that is worth it to you depends on how much time and ability you have.
I am super anal about maintenance and When I owned my Ecodiesel I did oil changes early and fuel filters early. The thing I hated about the Ecodiesel was 14.5 quarts of expensive oil and the filter cost a ton too. After watching some videos showing the engine bay the 2.8L look a lot easier to work inside and the filter looks much easier to get too. I also like that it has a belt and looks fairly easy to service. Watched a video on how the fuel filters are done and looks easy to do it does look a bit messy so might go to a shop for that one as diesel will linger all day on you lol.

I like the AT4 as well whats the major difference between the z71 and AT4 other than looks? Are the seats in the GMC better that alone might sell me on the GMC.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah, the diesel smell will stick with you. I have some chemical gloves from Mechanix Wear for that reason.

The AT4 is GMC's version of the Z71 really. There is maybe some added sound dampening on the GMC. I haven't checked the parts numbers, but I think the suspension is tuned a bit differently. Either that or its exactly the same. They also have different tires and wheels. Obviously, the looks are different due to the grill, badges, and stitching in the seats. Also, the headlights and fog lights have a different housing. The headlights use the same bulbs between the two, but the fog lights are completely different. The Denali is the only one with cooled seats.

·
Registered
2022 GMC 4X4 Denali CC LB Diesel
4 Posts
I bought a 2022 Gmc Canyon Denali diesel in Dec. 2021, I only have 3000 miles on it. I really like it so far. I also have a 2015 Ram Ecodiesel, I hadn't driven the Ecodiesel in awhile. When I did drive the Ecodiesel, the turbo hesitation was awful, I guess I just had gotten used to it. The Canyon diesel doesn't have a glowplug cycle or mine has no Turbo lag. So far so good. I haven't towed anything of substantial weight, so I haven't been able to use the exhaust brake.

·
Registered
2022 GMC Canyon Denali diesel Summit White
10 Posts
I too, bought a 2022 GMC Canyon Denali diesel in December of 2021. I have only driven mine about 3000 miles but I am very pleased with the way it drives and rides. It is very quiet and civilized and fairly nimble for a pickup. My previous truck was a Dodge 2500 crew cab 4X4 with the 5.9 Cummins. While I do miss the incredible power of the Cummins…. to be truthful…. it rode like a lumber wagon. If this little 2.8 is as reliable as the Dodge was, I’ll be happy.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Its more for the mpg and power going up hills my only large concern is how is the Trucks reliability? I am looking at a 2022 Colorado 7Z1 with the 2.8L engine. I just having a hard time finding much info on how well this platform does down the road. The only thing I hear is transmission issues but not sure if that is the 8 speed on the Gas engine or the 6 speed on the Diesel. I have owned an Ecodiesel in the past and miss the power of that engine. This looks a little more reliable than the Eco Diesel on a whole but hard to find much other than sensor issues and emission problems. That and some cold weather climate issues that are somewhat a problem on all Diesel Trucks.

Should I do this since my Tacoma trade in value is so high right now? If I do it do you recommend extend bumper to bumper warranty? If I end doing more city driving how well does this handle that as long as I get on the Highway once a week to help with blowing out the old crap. Will I need to buy a catch can for Oil?

I am guessing blue def premium will be the way to go?
As a Colorado diesel lover, have you been watching for the possible 2023 diesel Tacoma? Rumors of more trailer towing capacity, similar slimness, and Toyota quality. If I had not vowed to be buried in my Colorado, I'd be curious...

·
Registered
8 Posts
As a Colorado diesel lover, have you been watching for the possible 2023 diesel Tacoma? Rumors of more trailer towing capacity, similar slimness, and Toyota quality. If I had not vowed to be buried in my Colorado, I'd be curious...
I’d say this is very unlikely. What is likely is a hybrid power train tacoma like the tundra. The epa is killing these diesels, and manufacturers are sick of warranty claims on them in my opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’d say this is very unlikely. What is likely is a hybrid power train tacoma like the tundra. The epa is killing these diesels, and manufacturers are sick of warranty claims on them in my opinion.
This is probably the case... I would love if they did it. Toyota diesel engine are amazing and used world wide. I don't know yet if they have to do all of the EPA crap like we do. So maybe they have been testing stuff for years and have the bugs worked out. I am not holding my breath on them bringing a diesel over here.

Especially since you see Cummins making a 6.7 has engine I think diesel are dead soon. Which is stupid as they are probably more green than a hybrid.

·
Registered
373 Posts
This is probably the case... I would love if they did it. Toyota diesel engine are amazing and used world wide. I don't know yet if they have to do all of the EPA crap like we do. So maybe they have been testing stuff for years and have the bugs worked out. I am not holding my breath on them bringing a diesel over here.

Especially since you see Cummins making a 6.7 has engine I think diesel are dead soon. Which is stupid as they are probably more green than a hybrid.
As a big fan of fit for purpose electrification, I agree with you on the efficacy of diesels. As I write you. we just traversed ~1900 miles in 4 days, towing the rig featured in my pic. Averaged 18.7 m/g and were comfy the whole time. No current or near future e pickup could do that.

In the Yemen oilfields my steed was a Toyota 96 hp turbo d CCSB. I regularly loaded up the Yemeni engineers I was training for day trips to rigs and facilities. Never a problem, even traversing low low limestone "roads" as short cuts from rig to rig. We made our own diesel from our crude, via a "topping plant" installed near our consolidated pumping facility. No fancy schmancy low sulfur for us, but I'm guessing the lubricity actually helped the decidedly non DEF power plants.

BIG proponent of modern diesel pollution solutions. But if Toyota pulls off a 2023 diesel Tacoma for the CONUS, they will have it figured out....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a hair over 65k on my 2017 GMC Canyon Allterrain and no major issues. I have towed loads off and on. I use the Traveler DEF from Tractor Supply and my truck seems to like it more than any other DEF on the market. I have taken it it on multiple long trips and my fuel economy is definitely better the farther I travel. My daily commute is about 28 miles one way and it gets between 24.5 and 26.5 mpg. It is a fwd swb.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have a hair over 65k on my 2017 GMC Canyon Allterrain and no major issues. I have towed loads off and on. I use the Traveler DEF from Tractor Supply and my truck seems to like it more than any other DEF on the market. I have taken it it on multiple long trips and my fuel economy is definitely better the farther I travel. My daily commute is about 28 miles one way and it gets between 24.5 and 26.5 mpg. It is a fwd swb.
Not disputing you, but how do you know that your truck does better with Traveler DEF? In any case, congrats on your "no major issues".

·
Registered
2018 Z71 diesel crewcab 4x4 long box
13 Posts
I sold a Taco, and bought the CO diesel for the same reasons. I don't live in the city, so can't comment on excessive stop-and-go traffic. I use it for towing a 3600 lb camper from time to time - and am very impressed. Fuel filter change is very user friendly. DEF issues are all I've had come up so far. good luck

·
Registered
373 Posts
I sold a Taco, and bought the CO diesel for the same reasons. I don't live in the city, so can't comment on excessive stop-and-go traffic. I use it for towing a 3600 lb camper from time to time - and am very impressed. Fuel filter change is very user friendly. DEF issues are all I've had come up so far. good luck
Love my 2018, but this interests me. If I didn't already own mine, or if it totally cratered, post warranty, I'd investigate further.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts