Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you mostly happy with your purchase? Anything you recommend or want to make me aware of in purchasing process? Thanks

·
Registered
177 Posts
If you're going to regularly short hop the truck (5 miles or less) get a gas version. If you're going and actually run the thing and/or tow it's fantastic. The 2.8 is a great match for a truck of this size and weight. IMO

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do plan on towing. I have had VW diesels for 20 years, but need something to tow with and have the versatility of a pickup. A midsize makes more sense for me as well.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I do plan on towing. I have had VW diesels for 20 years, but need something to tow with and have the versatility of a pickup. A midsize makes more sense for me as well.
it's just the DEF and DPF crap that changes the reliability side of it and if your not going to use it it's just one more thing to worry about. Me too on the older diesels they were pretty much unstoppable until the EPA mandated all this fail-safe crap and limp mode BS.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I have a 2003 Jetta TDI, and the A4 was probably the best implementation by vw of the diesel, long before DEF and "diesel gate.". Still a great car, but needs fuel pump rebuild. Also have a 2015 golf sportwagen that I bought 2 yrs ago from vw. This was after vw bought back the cars and "fixed" them. I have had no problems with the car, but only one year left on the "certified pre-owned" warranty. Will probably sell or trade in the 2015.

·
Registered
258 Posts
it's just the DEF and DPF crap that changes the reliability side of it and if your not going to use it it's just one more thing to worry about. Me too on the older diesels they were pretty much unstoppable until the EPA mandated all this fail-safe crap and limp mode BS.
High correlation in this forum between those DEF and DPF craps, and tuning. And it seems to me, also with Marvel Mystery fuel additives. Bamadiesel, from a confirmed sample size of one, if you overserve your STOCK vehicle and drive within it's limits, you will have excellent results. This includes working it hard, within those limits.

Especially with your previous VW diesel experience and the way you seem to understand the bennies of this midsize diesel pickup. Your wife will love it....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are you mostly happy with your purchase? Anything you recommend or want to make me aware of in purchasing process? Thanks
I have owned 2 of the 2.8L Duramax trucks, a 16 Colorado and now a 19 Canyon. the 16 had just under 80K and the only issue I had was an emission sensor that failed at 36K, GM replaced under warranty. I traded it for a newer truck with a long bed when I found out GM had sold the plant that made the engines. I would buy another, I recommend getting the GM (Ally) extended warranty (Major Guard) so it will cover any potential emissions issues and others that are mentioned by users in this forum. I have kept both trucks stock and changed the oil every 5K (because of the oil being used in the exhaust process) and the fuel filters every 25K, other than that follow the GM maintenance schedule. There are 2.8L‘s running around now with over 200K them, and the US Army will be using them in the combat squad transporter, both which say a bunch about the durability of the baby Duramax.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last week I bought a 2021 Colorado ext cab 2wd short box, steel gray, duramax. So far so good. Getting spray on bedliner tomorrow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts