Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm guilty for doing this on an older Silverado. I have done much more research on this since owning the Colorado. In the past my thoughts were, hey just my one truck will not pollute much so who can it hurt. Well, I paid no mind to the fact that many truck owners are doing it. Also, the custom tunes probably don't pass the US EPA emissions limits even with the OEM exhaust left alone. So who am I hurting, well, your children, their children, and my children. If you are still a child, then you are hurting yourself.

The positives of a delete and good tune are, more power, better fuel mileage, no more money spent for emission system repairs, etc. The negatives are it's illegal and causes lung and brain cancer, among other health issues. Of course, living causes death, but I have to decide if I want to hurt mankind or help mankind; or hurt it less.

Of course, even a new vehicle with the best emission system still blows out pollution. Burning wood, fossil fuel, etc, pollutes. A certain amount of pollution is unavoidable. The manufacturing of electric cars and their batteries creates pollution.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep. Best to grow your own food, if you have the space and time. The no-see-ems are difficult to avoid. Radon gas at high levels is a known cancer causer. Maybe it took out the cave people.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would go with a delete to actually help the environment. The black smoke you see out of diesels is simply carbon which isn't very bad for the environment and can actually enrich soils. As for more chemicals going into the ozone think about how many chemicals and pollution it takes to make the urea or DEF. That stuff is VERY bad if it spills or gets out will kill everything it touches so it can't be the best in the air either. The better MPGs and power will definitely be with it as well.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I would go with a delete to actually help the environment. The black smoke you see out of diesels is simply carbon which isn't very bad for the environment and can actually enrich soils. As for more chemicals going into the ozone think about how many chemicals and pollution it takes to make the urea or DEF. That stuff is VERY bad if it spills or gets out will kill everything it touches so it can't be the best in the air either. The better MPGs and power will definitely be with it as well.
Ever since they went with the ULSD fuel and cleaned up smokestacks, there is less sulfur put into the air. So, most soil (here in East Central Missouri at least) comes back with a low Sulfur test. Granted, Sulfur is mobile in the ground like Nitrogen and can be here today, gone tomorrow, but still, all the soil that I test comes back consistently low on Sulfur. It would help farmers at least as they would have to spend less money on Sulfur fertilizer :)

As for what you said on the Urea or DEF being very bad stuff (think that is what you were calling bad?), about how it kills everything it touches. That's not totally true. Urea is Nitrogen and I believe all that DEF is, is just liquified Urea. If you put too much nitrogen on the ground, it will kill things as it is too much for the grass, weeds, crops, whatever, to take in. Anhydrous Ammonia, Granular Urea, and 28% and 32% Liquid Nitrogen fertilizers are used very regularly in Agriculture to provide the neede Nitrogen requirements to Corn and grass hay crops (and others, those are just the common ones I deal with).

As they say, "too much of a good thing is bad for you." That is true for crops, but I will agree that no amount of DEF or emissions equipment is good for our trucks at all :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Deleting is a federal crime, messing with any part of the emissions is a federal crime, the EPA is cracking down on shops that delete diesel motors, with that said you run the risk of hefty fines. The Diesel Brothers was fine $850,000, I know nobody wants to hear it and I don't want to rain on anyones parade, but in the future, I see an end all this diesel engine deleting.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Deleting is a federal crime, messing with any part of the emissions is a federal crime, the EPA is cracking down on shops that delete diesel motors, with that said you run the risk of hefty fines. The Diesel Brothers was fine $850,000, I know nobody wants to hear it and I don't want to rain on anyones parade, but in the future, I see an end all this diesel engine deleting.

We know. Little late to the party here. Lots of things are a crime.Things our government does are or should be as well. Anyways, pretty sure it will be some time before they go after individual owners.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We know. Little late to the party here. Lots of things are a crime.Things our government does are or should be as well. Anyways, pretty sure it will be some time before they go after individual owners.
Going after individuals will be the last thing thats done, going after shops and garages that pass the vehicle inspection is more likely. As far as government crimes are concerned, they are in a league of their own and we can't compete.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Go with an intact tune, because laws change, and having to put all that emissions stuff back on is a major PITA, and there are no significant performance gains from a full delete vs. an intact tune unless one is going into extreme modding such as a bigger or sequential turbo, etc.

Have had zero problems with my intact tune and emissions system. The DPF works a lot less hard, as the tuned engine runs a lot cleaner from a soot production perspective. Less soot, more NOx, that is the diesel tradeoff. Am confident the DPF in my tuned early in it's life truck, which regenerates every 750 miles or so, will be a lifetime part and require no service.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I will not delete as the support is drying up in maintaining the tune/delete.

But I do desire a full emissions intact tune for my 2020 Zr2, problem I am having is I desire a multi-tune. I want the option of the tow tune for my small camper, and the weekends I drag my ATV/Trailer behind my truck to take it to camp to go riding. I also want the eco-sport for daily driving, and of course ... Who doesn't want the ability to occasionally swap to the race tune to put a smile on their face?

But everywhere I look they only have single tunes for the 2019-2020. Trying to get any of the tuners to reply to emails now is nigh impossible.

But I will make sure I install a Catch Can. I will probably go with the Squatch/Provent kit.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Probably something to do with the coding as to why they can only do a single tune rather than a DSP4. I believe the newer trucks are more difficult to tune.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Tuners are now just releasing EPA legal/certified versions. I bet they pick up the phone now. American Diesel Performance and GDE both have tunes ready to purchase I believe. I have a GDE tune and like it lots, many people rave about ADP's work also.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Can you sell her down the road deleted without any issues?
Depends where you live. If in Texas, a deleted truck is probably worth more than a stock truck. If in CA, good luck selling it. The big issue with tuning of any kind is the power train warranty is toast, and there have been engine and transmission issues that would not be covered if the engine is tuned.

A huge issue is when people emissions intact tune trucks and then flash them back to stock and trade them in. GM can tell from the flash counter on the ECM that the truck was tuned, and the poor unwitting buyers are up sh%t creek w/o a paddle on their warranty if a power train failure occurs. As the original owner I knew this going in when I decided to tune it. It is not cool at all for a used truck buyer to unknowingly take on this risk on a truck that was tuned and sneakily flashed back to stock, and then for the selling dealer to wash their hands of it when a problem occurs.

If buying one of these trucks used, I would have a service tech plug into the OBD port and get it in writing from the dealer certifying the ECM does not show a history of flashing for a tune that would void the warranty. If the dealer won't or can't do that, walk away, far away...

So, back to the question, it depends. With these trucks, overall, I would say that fully deleted is a big negative come resale time for most buyers. The emission intact owner can flash back to stock and trade it in, but that is a sneaky/sh%tty thing to do, and, although probably unlikely, could open the original owner up to civil liability from the buyer if things go awry later. If someone is out 15K for a blown engine and the original owner tuned it and did not disclose it to the dealer when they traded it in, I could see a lawsuit possibly happening.

Bottom line is, if an owner is going to tune it, they have to be aware the warranty is gone and that they are making a long term commitment. That was my thought process, and so far so good. The truck runs awesome, the tuned transmission calibration is way better than the overreving mushy stock mess, and the diesel configuration I got (CCLB, SLT, 4x4) seems rather hard to find these days. They are gonna have to pry my tuned Canyon from my clutching dead fingers :LOL:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts