Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm ready to pull the trigger on my Duamax Colorado. I met a gentleman a while back pulling a 1685 Lance 96" width trailer. I also plan to purchase same trailer. He was using Dometic Grande Tow Mirrors. He said it worked very well. What do you all think of them? Also debating a Colorado LT vs Z71. I lose safety warning light system with Z71. Love the Rims on Z71. Not sure which tows better suspension wise. Thoughts appreaited.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I think a guy on here is selling z71 wheels (edit: I was wrong)

Both should have same suspension. Z71 package doesn’t list having different suspension. My z towed like a champ in stock form, I have since added add a leafs since I have a heavy tongue weight trailer

·
Registered
623 Posts
Z71 only add skid plate and Rancho shocks and Struts.

Warning lights on these truck are overrate. I turned mine off.

Get the one with the best price and look for a set of z71 wheels, if that is what you want.

The LT is leather, Z71 have cloth inserts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think a guy on here is selling z71 wheels (edit: I was wrong)

Both should have same suspension. Z71 package doesn’t list having different suspension. My z towed like a champ in stock form, I have since added add a leafs since I have a heavy tongue weight trailer
Exactly, I agree with rolly you can do this..you have a option.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Rcd, would you expand on your upgraded leaf springs? We just got back from ~12000 miles of Escape 5.0ta bed mounted hitch towing. Great handling/braking/drive train performance, but with over 700# of combined bed hitch and Escape tongue weight, and all of the **** we filled up the bed and back seat with, and our 2 bods, we sagged ~2-2.5". It was noticable.

I want more support with NO change in ride comfort. But don't we all, so I would like to explore compromises.

Thx in advance...

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Rcd, would you expand on your upgraded leaf springs? We just got back from ~12000 miles of Escape 5.0ta bed mounted hitch towing. Great handling/braking/drive train performance, but with over 700# of combined bed hitch and Escape tongue weight, and all of the **** we filled up the bed and back seat with, and our 2 bods, we sagged ~2-2.5". It was noticable.

I want more support with NO change in ride comfort. But don't we all, so I would like to explore compromises.

Thx in advance...
I have the add a leafs from autospring. They added approximately 1.25” of height (by themselves, but i also have a 1” block) and they are rated at 750lb of added spring capacity. My 18’ car hauler with my rockcrawler loaded has a tongue weight of 800lb and it squats 1”

They do make the rear end a bit stiffer unloaded but not bouncy or harsh.

I recommend them for their quality, simplicity and they just plain work.

https://autospringkits.com/product/2015-2018-canyoncolorado-rear-add-a-leaf-kit/

Air bags are an option that don’t change your ride but they’re more complex. They require mounting brackets installed to the frame and axle/springs and you also need air lines ran, usually with a T to a schrader valve on the rear bumper to fill them with. You deflate them to minimum pressure during normal driving and add air when you need the support. For example, Airlift 1000 offer 1000lb of lift. I had air lift 1000s on my suburban and it squatted 0” with the same trailer and load when inflated.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Hi Rockcrawlerdude,

I asked EKarlW about the RAS he has, and I would also like to know about your helper springs. I am going to be getting a TT and am looking for something to help out my truck. I had an S10 Crew Cab 4WD and used SuperSprings before with the last TT I had. I was very happy with the setup. I don't want air bags or anything complex (the truck is complex enough). I am leaning more toward the helper springs rather than the RAS. I am wondering if a rear sway bar would be in order along with the helpers. I found a nice write-up here for a Hellwig rear sway install:

Speaking of helper springs, is there a reason you went with AutoSpringKits rather than Hellwig?

·
Registered
25 Posts

Thx in advance...
Hello, just my opinion but adding leaf’s or roadmaster load leveler system all will make your ride stiffer. The airbag system is made for your purpose. I love the 5.0 escape, but don’t want to pay that much at this time. I’m curious what mileage are you getting towing it. Do you have the diesel?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hello, just my opinion but adding leaf’s or roadmaster load leveler system all will make your ride stiffer. The airbag system is made for your purpose. I love the 5.0 escape, but don’t want to pay that much at this time. I’m curious what mileage are you getting towing it. Do you have the diesel?
Thanks for the post FFPaul. Yes on the leaf, no on the airbags. I don't need them. I honestly get ~19 m/g with AC on, and 2 e bikes carried on the back of our 5.0 TA. But that is highway, 60-61 m/h (most of my towing). Lots of folks like 70 better, which I'm sure could get me down to 15-

With you on the trailer cost. We bit the bullet because we spend over 4 months/year in ours. On man's opinion, fiberglass is the way to go. If you camp at a fiberglass rally, you can find examples of 40+ year old Trilliums and Burro's. They've been gone thru inside, but never leaked. Stick built, 10 years, junk...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts