Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to forum be gentle.
I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 5.9 cummins I have known not to tow in overdrive and I have observed the EGT
go 1500 deg so I take it out of overdrive. Question in tow mode will the Colorado keep you out of to high a gear.
to prevent excessive EGT?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I believe tow/haul mode lets the trans. shift at a higher engine RPM and turns on the Exhaust Brake function. I guess you could shift it manually and that might keep the EGT's lower, if it worries you. I haven't towed with mine yet, so I have no real world experience as of yet. :) Mac

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Tow/ Haul won't let you in to 6th gear. However, the transmission can start to get warm when you run 70 mph in 5th gear for extended times. On the highway, I would advise turning tow haul off if you don't need it, as it usually needed for taking off and slowing down, or going through hilly terrain. If it's flat and you can hold 5th or 6th most of the time, I would turn tow/ haul off. Turn it back on when you need it or need to slow down to exit the highway.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Tow/ Haul won't let you in to 6th gear. However, the transmission can start to get warm when you run 70 mph in 5th gear for extended times. On the highway, I would advise turning tow haul off if you don't need it, as it usually needed for taking off and slowing down, or going through hilly terrain. If it's flat and you can hold 5th or 6th most of the time, I would turn tow/ haul off. Turn it back on when you need it or need to slow down to exit the highway.
Burgess, I think it depends on how heavy of a load you got if the transmission will use 6th gear or not. My truck has been able use 6th at the 65-70 MPH range when towing my travel trailer on relatively flat roads and downhills. Tow/haul hasn't made any difference on that shift point for me, so I almost always use it since I like the extra assurance the exhaust brake gives me. Curious on how heavy of loads you're towing.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I have never had my truck make it in to 6th gear if you turn tow/ haul on and accelerate to 70 mph. Not that I remember. Maybe it does and I haven't tried hard enough. That has been with an empty or almost empty trailer too.

I don't haul a whole lot and not every often. I have just a 6x12 utility trailer that gets used for various things. ATV's used to be the main thing. Not now. I did put a good load on it when we moved stuff to storage and had a good load on it. I wouldn't think it could have been more than 4k total with the trailer though.

The shift points are more drawn out as well. The truck seems to rev higher when accelerating. I noticed it every time I use it. And, this was before I had ECM and TCM tunes installed on the truck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts