Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
What are you guys hearing with the exhaust brake. All it does is raise the rpm of the motor and the turbo vaines close. What is there to hear except the roar of the motor???
And I will repeat again
Multiple tests with multiple different trailers running down hill into a turnoff (the ramp off the highway) and my truck does nothing but rev it’s ASSS OFF... There is no slowing down at all
There is no difference than running without the tow haul on and manually downshifting the truck...

And no I’m not taking it in to a poorly trained GM tech to have it looked at.......
But hay if it works for you guys have at it.
I will continue to run it in manual mode in 5th so it doesn’t rev it’s ASSS OFF ....
I should mention I do run with tow haul on but in manual mode set at 5th....
I have also done some testing without a trailer in tow haul and manual mode and do not see any difference in transmission lockup.
Seems the same as without tow haul on....

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's too bad. I have a 7%grade I go down regularly and I use the tow haul mode to slow me down and it works great. I can even here the turbo working things out to slow me down. I do have an s&b intake of that changes anything (probably just hear the turbo more)

I know this doesn't help your situation however your truck should be more active/involved in slowing you down.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
That's too bad. I have a 7%grade I go down regularly and I use the tow haul mode to slow me down and it works great. I can even here the turbo working things out to slow me down. I do have an s&b intake of that changes anything (probably just hear the turbo more)

I know this doesn't help your situation however your truck should be more active/involved in slowing you down.
I really like the truck. And so far no major issues that would have me take it in to the dealer.
But
There are a lot of nightmare stories on this and the other forum that makes it somewhat spooky to own it.
Especially the lack of knowledgable service people and the ludicrous amount of time it takes to get parts.
Maybe Mary works for Ford under the table and is really there trying to drive customers away from GM.
Sure seems that way lately....
I can only imagine being away from home towing my trailer and needing service.
Brakes are cheap and easy to replace.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What are you guys hearing with the exhaust brake. All it does is raise the rpm of the motor and the turbo vaines close. What is there to hear except the roar of the motor???
And I will repeat again
Multiple tests with multiple different trailers running down hill into a turnoff (the ramp off the highway) and my truck does nothing but rev it’s ASSS OFF... There is no slowing down at all
There is no difference than running without the tow haul on and manually downshifting the truck...

And no I’m not taking it in to a poorly trained GM tech to have it looked at.......
But hay if it works for you guys have at it.
I will continue to run it in manual mode in 5th so it doesn’t rev it’s ASSS OFF ....
I should mention I do run with tow haul on but in manual mode set at 5th....
I have also done some testing without a trailer in tow haul and manual mode and do not see any difference in transmission lockup.
Seems the same as without tow haul on....

I was wondering when you say that the exhaust brake doesn't work when towing. I noticed in the first post that you mention a lot of different items that weigh a lot . Have you ever gone to the scales to see what your actual weights are. The truck is designed to work within certain weights, maybe you are overloaded or just going to fast.
I tow a loaded TT at 5500# and my GCW is about 11K. Max is 12k. My exhaust brake works awesome.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I was wondering when you say that the exhaust brake doesn't work when towing. I noticed in the first post that you mention a lot of different items that weigh a lot . Have you ever gone to the scales to see what your actual weights are. The truck is designed to work within certain weights, maybe you are overloaded or just going to fast.
I tow a loaded TT at 5500# and my GCW is about 11K. Max is 12k. My exhaust brake works awesome.
My travel trailer is 4300 and I have put my 900# motorcycle in the trailer (toy hauler) plus clothes a little water and food ect. Should be around 6000#.
Try this with your truck. Without out a trailer put your truck in tow haul mode.
While on the highway take an off ramp and touch the brakes to get the tow haul to start to down shift and see if you notice any speed reduction ...
Try it again without tow haul
Let me know if you notice any difference

·
Registered
7 Posts
My travel trailer is 4300 and I have put my 900# motorcycle in the trailer (toy hauler) plus clothes a little water and food ect. Should be around 6000#.
Try this with your truck. Without out a trailer put your truck in tow haul mode.
While on the highway take an off ramp and touch the brakes to get the tow haul to start to down shift and see if you notice any speed reduction ...
Try it again without tow haul
Let me know if you notice any difference
With tow/haul on without trailer or with trailer when I tap brakes, I feel the vehicle slow down every time. It’s not a sudden stop like direct braking, but a gradual slow down. Like using the next lower gear.
You say about 6k pounds, take it to a cat scale with your full travel load, you mentioned dogs, dog food barbecue, all that stuff adds up quick. You might surprise yourself.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
With tow/haul on without trailer or with trailer when I tap brakes, I feel the vehicle slow down every time. It’s not a sudden stop like direct braking, but a gradual slow down. Like using the next lower gear.
You say about 6k pounds, take it to a cat scale with your full travel load, you mentioned dogs, dog food barbecue, all that stuff adds up quick. You might surprise yourself.
Without trailer
What I am trying to do is see if your truck slows down quicker without the trailer when it’s exhaust brake is activated. Without all the weight behind it it should show a real speed reduction

·
Registered
7 Posts
Without trailer
What I am trying to do is see if your truck slows down quicker without the trailer when it’s exhaust brake is activated. Without all the weight behind it it should show a real speed reduction
I guess you think that the exhaust brake is just like a brake. It slows down the truck at a gradual pace. Is it faster with out the trailer, of course it is. But the concept is to slow vehicle not stop it. Guess you have a different idea of what it’s supposed to do. But, semi’s use them all the time to slow them down. They still use the brakes to stop.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I guess you think that the exhaust brake is just like a brake. It slows down the truck at a gradual pace. Is it faster with out the trailer, of course it is. But the concept is to slow vehicle not stop it. Guess you have a different idea of what it’s supposed to do. But, semi’s use them all the time to slow them down. They still use the brakes to stop.
I understand the concept
the test was to see if your truck noticeably slows down without a load behind it..
Mine does not.
My truck does all kinds of weird stuff.
Somedays on the way to work driving the same route everyday. When I touch the brakes to slow down it will down shift multiple times, just like it is in trailer tow mode. Other days it doesn’t.
for the last three years I been trying to figure out why it does this. More brake press some days than others. maybe driving a little faster. I can’t repeat it. There has been weeks where it didn’t do it other times multiple days in a row. There is other things to but since it’s not repeatable It’s not an issue.

·
Registered
247 Posts
When towing the exhaust brake works well for me. I have a friend with an F150 and about the same size trailer as mine. He always says (when following) he as to do many brake applications whereas he doesn't see me brake lights going on hardly at all in comparison.

ColoradoRob: mine does not do what you're describing. It almost seems like the ECM/BCM still thinks your towhaul is turned on when it's not.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
When towing the exhaust brake works well for me. I have a friend with an F150 and about the same size trailer as mine. He always says (when following) he as to do many brake applications whereas he doesn't see me brake lights going on hardly at all in comparison.

ColoradoRob: mine does not do what you're describing. It almost seems like the ECM/BCM still thinks your towhaul is turned on when it's not.
Even if mine did work I wouldn’t use it unless it could cap the Rpm at 3k
When I tow in manual mode in 5th and need to slow down I will manually down shift. That way I can control how high the rpm gets.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I also watch the RPM's as well. If I only hit the brake pedal once it will keep me right around 3k to 3200 with tow haul turned on. Most of the time I do the same as you do and go for manual mode. I would rather control the gear to make sure I'm not lugging the motor with the camper in tow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I love the exhaust brake on mine. In fact, I don't mind hitting traffic coming down i70 in Colorado. Between manual mode and the exhaust brake and traffic, I can keep the rpm below 3k and not use so much brake. The heavy traffic is good for making me not be the only slow a**hole coming down the mountain :LOL:

21 - 33 of 33 Posts