Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just on my way to do inspection and hopefully take home ( about 600 mile drive) my new to me 2014 Lance 1995, hope to be on the road home Thursday am after the inspection and paperwork tomorrow ...couple of questions for those with the colorado diesel who have done some towing with it ...first, what mode do I tow in, 2x4, 4x 4 , auto ?? Is there some advantage to tow in 4x4? I'm assuming I always tow with tow mode/ exhaust brake on , am I correct in that? And the integrated brake controller, is there an approximate setting that I should start with/ try or is it just trial and error at first, bout a 4200 lb trailer dry ? Any other tips on towing with the vehicle , all new to me so appreciate all the help I can get .... or rules of the road for the first hundred miles?

Appreciate any and all help

·
Registered
117 Posts
Do not tow in 4x4 mode unless towing off road! The tow haul mode will help to keep the transmission from constantly shifting from overdrive to the next lowest gear in hilly terrain. The exhaust brake is good for downhill speed control and coming to a stop. The best advice is to READ THE OWNERS MANUAL!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just on my way to do inspection and hopefully take home ( about 600 mile drive) my new to me 2014 Lance 1995, hope to be on the road home Thursday am after the inspection and paperwork tomorrow ...couple of questions for those with the colorado diesel who have done some towing with it ...first, what mode do I tow in, 2x4, 4x 4 , auto ?? Is there some advantage to tow in 4x4? I'm assuming I always tow with tow mode/ exhaust brake on , am I correct in that? And the integrated brake controller, is there an approximate setting that I should start with/ try or is it just trial and error at first, bout a 4200 lb trailer dry ? Any other tips on towing with the vehicle , all new to me so appreciate all the help I can get .... or rules of the road for the first hundred miles?

Appreciate any and all help
Tow in 2WD. Never use 4WD on dry roads for any reason since there is no center differential. I tow 3800 lbs regularly and normally don't even use tow/haul mode, just not much difference for that light a load. Also, when you say the first hundred miles, is that the first 100 towing or the first hundred on the new truck? I think GM says to wait for 500 miles before towing. For the brake controller, start with the default setting and slide the manual lever. Increase the setting until you can just lock the trailer brakes, then back off. Mine was just about correct at the default for 3800 lbs with brakes on all 4 wheels.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
If you are strapping it down to the trailer, stop and check after a little ways to make sure the straps/ chains are still tight. Everyone else already explained the other points I was going to make. Good luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
That's a sharp truck. I tow my 23' center console boat often with mine and it's impressive for a mid-size truck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
towed last weekend to Pocono very steep hill climb, however my Colorado did just fine, on the way home
lot's of down hill, exhaust brake keeps coming on the truck brakes are just fine, did not know my trailer brakes did not engaged
until I was on a flat highway no trailer braked how do I engage them? truck is new to me only 700 miles on it. anything I should do
on the brake issue/no issue? thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
thanks Rock, I did it worked, getting poor gas mileage. I guess it has to go through the learning process
and engine breaking love towing with it almost addictive torque:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts