Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

Tranny fluid change - fluid pan swap?

3510 Views 11 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Duken4evr
Anyone change their fluid pan for one with a drain plug?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Right? Don’t know if stock capacity options exist. I gots the shudder
Anybody who has installed an aftermarket pan, I’d be interested in buying your stock pan.
If you want a drain in your trans pan, go to an auto parts store or look one up online , I picked one up before I started the project. Once you drop the pan and clean it ,you simply drill a 1/2 " hole where you want it and install the adapter. Took 10 minutes to install. Mine started to [email protected] I dropped the pan changed filter added drain and replaced fluid with Mobil1 "blue label" I got at the dealer -Best Price-. It fixed the problem. I ran it about a week and drained and refilled to get more of old fluid out. Works great.
Doesn’t this look like it uses a drain plug?
Text Line Font Screenshot Web page
See less See more
It’s a plug but there’s a tube that makes at the right height inside so it only drains at the correct level when doing the level check procedure
For anyone who hasn’t changed theirs yet, you really should have it changed, especially if you have some miles on the truck. I changed mine for the 2nd time today. 90k on the truck w/ 45k miles on the fluid. Here is a how-to video I put together while changing it.

Reactions: 3
New fluid on the left, old on the right. Not really burnt smelling, just dark. Bottom picture is the metal gunk I wiped off the magnet. Also found a few shards in the pan while draining the last of the fluid out too.

See less See more
Reactions: 1
Nice video. I got about an extra quart in running vs not.
Reactions: 1
Nice video. I got about an extra quart in running vs not.
Maybe if I had let the truck run while draining more would come out. I don’t think that would hurt anything but I dunno. Something to investigate and try Next time
The old fluid was?
Ya, it is great to suck the fluid out first before removing the pan to avoid what I call the "Red Sea Scenario" We don't want that :LOL:

It really is nice if one can do this work themselves. Quite cathartic to replace the old fluid with new with your own hands. Same thing with oil. I guess I am wired a little funny that way. :)
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.