Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone else have had their transfer case seal replaced. I had a whirring/squealling sound in my front end. Took it to dealer and they said I needed my brakes cleaned ($150), so I agreed to get brakes cleaned. Didn't fix the problem. Service manager took it out and knew right away what the problem was, it appeared it was a common problem Wondering if anyone else has same experience?
2017 z71 colorado. 51000 km or approx. 30000 miles.
I still don't know how replacing a seal could fix this noise. Can someone explain this to me. Thanks

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Transfer case seal? Transfer case is behind the transmission but if the seal was bad it could run dry and make noise I suppose

Prolly should get your money back for the bogus brake cleaning job that didn’t fix ****

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok Thanks. Yes I complained about it and they gave me a free oil change next time in...close to same price as bogus brake clean job...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also had a squealing sound coming from under the car. The dealer replaced the transfer case seal and the noise went away. I can't believe this seal has gone bad under 20,000 miles. It was covered under warranty but I hope this is not going to be a ongoing problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Do you ever put it in 4wd? If you drive around all the time in 2wd and you never use it the seals will dry rot due to no fluid moving. Ive got nearly 100000 miles on my 2017 z71 duramax and havent had a problem yet but i go off-road early every day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I haven't used the 4wd until after the seal was replaced. It still shouldn't need to be replaced on a year and a half old truck, even if 4wd was not used. I have a 94 Jeep Wrangler I got from a relative a few years ago that was never put in 4wd until I got it and it has never had the seal replaced and no it has no leaks.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Do you ever put it in 4wd? If you drive around all the time in 2wd and you never use it the seals will dry rot due to no fluid moving
I call B.S.

Don’t post up blatantly wrong info.

You’ve clearly never been inside a transfer case.

Fluid moves exactly the same in 2wd as it does in 4wd. The oil pump is on the main output shaft.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So what was the problem? And ive had transfer case seals leak due to dry rot in my ford ranger and a dodge ram. if it wasnt dry rot then he hit a rock or had a service tech do something with his trans case and not put it together correctly. Ive been in the automotive industry all my life and ive seen alot of things that are thought to be impossible so i dont discount any possible scenario. If the oil pump in the output shaft went bad then guess whats not getting enough fluid and dry rotting

1 - 8 of 8 Posts