Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to install a transmission cooler to my 2017 GMC Canyon Diesel. I was going to bypass the radiator and only using the new transmission cooler i purchased online. I thought i will need additional cooling, i will be towing a 3900 lbs 5th wheel travel trailer soon.

See pictures included. I found what look like transmission lines attached to bottom of radiator. I loosen the bolt on the right side of picture, and coolant fluid were coming out. So i am very confused. Are these transmission fluid lines ? If they are, is there metal tube that runs inside the radiator and the metal tube is surrounded by coolant ? (that will explain why coolant leaks our when i loosen the bolt).

If these are transmission fluid line, i can cut the rubber hose and connect transmission cooler in middle of the hose. Good idea ?

thanks for any advise.

frank

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, those are the transmission cooling lines.Push back the plastic boot/cover onto the cooling line, once that is done you will see a metal clip that you need to pry off/remove, at that point you need to give the line a lug and it will come out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you know which line is on the return side. I am about to cut into, post cooler, but don’t have an idea which on it is. Driver side/ passenger side? I tried checking with an infra red thermometer but couldn’t confirm.
I always run the cooler post coolant/rad. Just an extra amount of cooling. Cause if the coolant takes the fluid to 200 then you have cooler fluid going in when its needed on hot days.

·
Registered
30 Posts
"Inlet (from transmission) on tank cooler is passenger side; outlet (back to transmission) is on the drivers side."

This quote is from this link...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts