Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am really interested in this truck, I currently have an 09 F150 with a 5.4 and tow a 22' Travel trailer that is 4300 lbs dry. I do haul it with water and loaded to no more than 5300lbs. The ford is great for my needs and pulls this setup easily but I really want/need a commuter that is better on fuel and will still tow my TT the 6 or 7 times a year I go camping. I also have weight distribution and anti sway setup and the TT has an aerodynamic front cap. The difference in my situation is that most of my getaways are into the Rockies where I can experience some fairly decent, lengthy grades. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this duramax in the mountains towing a travel trailer?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I am really interested in this truck, I currently have an 09 F150 with a 5.4 and tow a 22' Travel trailer that is 4300 lbs dry. I do haul it with water and loaded to no more than 5300lbs. The ford is great for my needs and pulls this setup easily but I really want/need a commuter that is better on fuel and will still tow my TT the 6 or 7 times a year I go camping. I also have weight distribution and anti sway setup and the TT has an aerodynamic front cap. The difference in my situation is that most of my getaways are into the Rockies where I can experience some fairly decent, lengthy grades. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this duramax in the mountains towing a travel trailer?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just the usual boring advice. Check ALL ratings. If you're less than 75-80%, except for GVWR, which you can crowd, but not exceed, then gofer it. Yes, you will gear down on grades, but no one, either in this forum or the main Colorado forum has reported either overheating or braking problems. Readers, feel free to correct me if I missed a relevant post.

We tow an Escape 5.0TA, bed hitch. Heavier than yours, tows great. Our hitchweight is certainly more than yours, but it's limited only by the bed rating. I'm sure that even if your hitch weight is low enough, you will want your WDH and stabilizers. With a bed hitch we get out of those requirements.

As for multi use, that's why we bought ours. It is our only 4 wheel vehicle. We live in south St. Louis and have no problems navigating old city streets. Even with Clearview mirrors, which are a must for towing your trailer. One other caveat. The headlights are the WORST. OK for driving now, but I need to get them upgraded before we take off for our 2-3 month Canada summer vaca..

·
Registered
911 Posts
One other caveat. The headlights are the WORST. OK for driving now, but I need to get them upgraded before we take off for our 2-3 month Canada summer vaca..
What don't you like about the headlights? We have a Canyon and I found ours great. Nice, bright, wide view on the sides of the roads and reach out rather far too. Usually get brighted by other drivers when I have my low-beams on because they are pretty bright too.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Maybe the Canyons have better ones. I don't know. But the Colorado's are awful. This has been quantified by both Consumer Reports and the national Transportation Safety Board. About half as powerful as the competition. We kept our brights on last winter while towing in the dark (and no, the lights were not pointing up), and no one blinked at us to dim them...

·
Registered
213 Posts
I agree even with the projectors I find the stock headlights terrible. I have a hard time seeing at night in this truck, forget about it if it's raining out.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I agree even with the projectors I find the stock headlights terrible. I have a hard time seeing at night in this truck, forget about it if it's raining out.
Tell us! We got caught trailer towing in the rain after dark, looping around, looking for our way through a dark highway maze of on and off ramps, getting passed on both sides by loco locals. Nightmare. I started to research aftermarket replacements but got sidetracked. Any ideas?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Hmmm. I even read a few articles that said both the Colorado and Canyon don't have good lights. I mean, like I said, I think they are great on my Canyon. Does anyone else with a Canyon not like the lights on them? I know the headlight cover looks different on our trucks, but I figure they have the same bulbs. Unless the actual setup of the headlight changes how they project the light.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hmmm. I even read a few articles that said both the Colorado and Canyon don't have good lights. I mean, like I said, I think they are great on my Canyon. Does anyone else with a Canyon not like the lights on them? I know the headlight cover looks different on our trucks, but I figure they have the same bulbs. Unless the actual setup of the headlight changes how they project the light.
Well, let see. My Hyundai Accent commuter have way better headlights than my Canyon. The beams are dim. But I really love my truck so I just overlook the dimwit who designed the dim light.

I don’t have any issue with my truck, but After reading so many issue with the 2.8l that I am second guessing paying for it over a V6.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well, let see. My Hyundai Accent commuter have way better headlights than my Canyon. The beams are dim. But I really love my truck so I just overlook the dimwit who designed the dim light.

I don’t have any issue with my truck, but After reading so many issue with the 2.8l that I am second guessing paying for it over a V6.
"So many issues? Would you please expand? It's not perfect, but the only thing that scares me is getting caught in limp mode from a soot accumulation. I don't think this will be an issue towing, and even around town we have 3-10 mile highway bursts at least once a week. So far, so good....

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
"So many issues? Would you please expand? It's not perfect, but the only thing that scares me is getting caught in limp mode from a soot accumulation. I don't think this will be an issue towing, and even around town we have 3-10 mile highway bursts at least once a week. So far, so good....
I think He’s referring to all the horror stories people post up. Bent turbo fins, leaky exhaust manifolds, faulty sensors, limp mode, egr completely clogged at 20k miles, etc etc becoming more and more common

·
Registered
553 Posts
I’m sure you are capable of reading the threads on this forum and maybe some other forums as well on issues that people are having with the 2.8l diesel.

Like I said, I don’t have any with mine. But I don’t like having the though in the back of my head that those issues could happen to me. Especially I drive mine all over including Canada.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I ordered a set of LED replacement bulbs last night, we'll see how they do. I've been following a few threads on a different forum for some replacement housings that give us two square projector housings and an LED light bar around kind of like the GMC lights have. Been toying around with getting a set of those as well. Only issue with those is they change the style of bulbs from stock. So I went with these https://www.theretrofitsource.com/led-bulbs/head-fog-light-bulbs/h11-morimoto-2stroke.html first reason was they have an interchangeable socket so I can change from the stock H11 to the H7 that the replacement housings use with only a $5 swap kit. The other reason is the diode dynamics LED's I was also considering have a 4-6 week lead time at the moment. I don't want to highjack this thread any further off topic so I'll throw up a post once I get them.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Compared to the lights I had on my 2000 Honda CR-V with the oxidized lens covers and even my 2011 Kia Optima and 2010 Honda Civic, the lights on this truck are head over heels better. I will say my 2004 Silverado 2500HD had great lights and they shined out really far. But I like these best on the Canyon.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hell, my wife's '13 Ford Escape had way better lights, but in the same breath, my '04 Jeep Rubicon had sucky lights. Soooo, when these burn out maybe the after market will have much better lighting options. MAC:rolleyes:

·
Registered
213 Posts
see that's my problem I'm coming from a 2015 Wrangler that had horrible lights so I had upgraded to the JW Speaker LED headlights that are some of the best performing lights I've even had the joy to drive behind. So coming back to the Colorado with these sucky lights has been a real disappointment.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I’m sure you are capable of reading the threads on this forum and maybe some other forums as well on issues that people are having with the 2.8l diesel.

Like I said, I don’t have any with mine. But I don’t like having the though in the back of my head that those issues could happen to me. Especially I drive mine all over including Canada.

Yes, I am, and I have. It's just that I am skeptical of one off/me too anecdotal info. What I would rather see is any actual, Consumer Reports type, data on problem frequency of our engine, v it's competitors. Haven't done a hard target search yet, but don't recall seeing anything like that here. Feel free to point me, if you know where to do so.

NOT defending the 2.8, as I have "only" 9000+ medium/hard miles on mine, half of it towing at ~4/5 rated capacity. But it sure came well recommended, in many different fora. This match is over 2 years old now, so I'll look for that data myself, starting with a review here......

21 - 40 of 53 Posts