Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Yes, I am, and I have. It's just that I am skeptical of one off/me too anecdotal info. What I would rather see is any actual, Consumer Reports type, data on problem frequency of our engine, v it's competitors. Haven't done a hard target search yet, but don't recall seeing anything like that here. Feel free to point me, if you know where to do so.

NOT defending the 2.8, as I have "only" 9000+ medium/hard miles on mine, half of it towing at ~4/5 rated capacity. But it sure came well recommended, in many different fora. This match is over 2 years old now, so I'll look for that data myself, starting with a review here......
You believe or not believe as you wish. All I said was I second guess my decision to buy the Diesel over the V6 gas. That is my personal feeling and have zero bearing or infringement of your believe. It’s not even an attack on the 2.8l. It just stating my personal feeling of possible regrets.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
@RollyPollieBenito i totally agree.

@bigoilbob While some users who have complained about problems are quite dramatic, that doesn’t lead me to disbelieve them. I am more inclined to believe them. Most people will tell you how great their truck is to justify their purchase. I don’t know of anybody who will tell you what they bought was junk unless it is.

There is also another forum that starts with Colorado and ends with fans dot com where there are many many more members. Many threads about problems and new problems popping up (the bent turbo fins is the newest I’ve been reading about)

Two things I try to keep in mind which help me keep my sanity.

1: online forums aren’t exactly a great sample size since most owners without problems will never join a forum

2: many of the problems are popping up very early on the trucks life, so if you’ve made it a few years without any problems you might be free and clear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I currently have a 2012 Tundra with the 4.6L engine, 4x4 double cab. Looking at buying a new truck and am intrigued by the Colorado/Canyon diesel. I tow a 31 foot ultra-light travel trailer 140 miles in the Spring, and again in the Fall, to our lake site. The trailer is 5,200 pounds dry, We don't carry any water with us as it is on site. Current truck has 301 HP and 329 ft/lb torque, it does an adequate job towing. Colorado diesel has 180 HP and 369 ft/lb torque but is about 700 pounds lighter. I am searching for anyone who has towed something of this size, the weight would not appear to be an issue, I am just wondering how the truck will handle pulling a billboard down the interstate, and how it will handle the side-winds and jostling since it is a smaller footprint truck. I would be interested in the crew cab long bed which would give the most stability for this truck. Any insights would be appreciated..

I just want to say that I currently have had my crew cab long box for over a year now and have towed to and from Florida back up to ohio with my 32’6” bumper pull travel trailer. It weighs in at 5400 empty and probly adds around a 1000 inside. Plus I keep around 500 in the bed while I tow. And I kept it set at 65 the whole way. No problems. Got around 12-14mpg. And 30-33 when I was not towing. I can also say the second time I towed I added air bags, and it makes the world a difference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@RollyPollieBenito i totally agree.

@bigoilbob While some users who have complained about problems are quite dramatic, that doesn’t lead me to disbelieve them. I am more inclined to believe them. Most people will tell you how great their truck is to justify their purchase. I don’t know of anybody who will tell you what they bought was junk unless it is.

There is also another forum that starts with Colorado and ends with fans dot com where there are many many more members. Many threads about problems and new problems popping up (the bent turbo fins is the newest I’ve been reading about)

Two things I try to keep in mind which help me keep my sanity.

1: online forums aren’t exactly a great sample size since most owners without problems will never join a forum

2: many of the problems are popping up very early on the trucks life, so if you’ve made it a few years without any problems you might be free and clear.
Exactly you are right Rockcrawlerdude..I am agree with your two things.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Keep in. end your GCWR is 12,700 #.
I tow a 5000 # Toyota on a 16' carhauler.
With my rooftop tent on top and trail tools, I was 12,300 #.
Virtually nothing in the bed of the truck.
Towed very well at 16-17 MPG.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just want to say that I currently have had my crew cab long box for over a year now and have towed to and from Florida back up to ohio with my 32’6” bumper pull travel trailer. It weighs in at 5400 empty and probly adds around a 1000 inside. Plus I keep around 500 in the bed while I tow. And I kept it set at 65 the whole way. No problems. Got around 12-14mpg. And 30-33 when I was not towing. I can also say the second time I towed I added air bags, and it makes the world a difference.
I have a very similar scenario. 27' TT 5200lbs dry weight. And figure I'll add 800 - 1000 lbs. I am really curious about the air bags. What brand did you install? What were the benefits you noticed?

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Air Bags really do wonders leveling out the vehicle when towing and carrying weight in the bed.

I installed the Air Lift system, which is leaps and bounds superior to the alternative brands on the market.

I also replaced the rear shocks with the fox 2.0 absorbers, as the factory shocks really don't soak up much and the truck was very bouncy when carrying a heavy load with inflated bags..

Bags and shocks were worth every penny (about $350.00 total) and only took an afternoon to install myself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
20190714_154034.jpg
I currently have a 2012 Tundra with the 4.6L engine, 4x4 double cab. Looking at buying a new truck and am intrigued by the Colorado/Canyon diesel. I tow a 31 foot ultra-light travel trailer 140 miles in the Spring, and again in the Fall, to our lake site. The trailer is 5,200 pounds dry, We don't carry any water with us as it is on site. Current truck has 301 HP and 329 ft/lb torque, it does an adequate job towing. Colorado diesel has 180 HP and 369 ft/lb torque but is about 700 pounds lighter. I am searching for anyone who has towed something of this size, the weight would not appear to be an issue, I am just wondering how the truck will handle pulling a billboard down the interstate, and how it will handle the side-winds and jostling since it is a smaller footprint truck. I would be interested in the crew cab long bed which would give the most stability for this truck. Any insights would be appreciated..
I have a 2019 crew cab sb Z71 (and obviously duramax). I am pulling a 27' Lance 2295. 5165 dry, prob close to 6100+ loaded. We recently took it 1900 miles to Steamboat Springs, CO and back from Oklahoma. Went thru several passes, steep grades up and down, and some rain slick weather conditions. I love this truck. It handled just awesome. But here's my feedback on why this worked so well for me. 1) I replaced the shocks in the rear with Bilstein 5100's. 2) I use the Propride 3P WD hitch. I would not consider this configuration without it. 3) With the Colorado, payload is a big factor in your configuration. GVWR for the truck is 6200 lbs. With the diesel, you only have about 13-1400 lbs remaining for passengers, stuff, and payload (tongue weight). So, that means 2 passengers, some travel items in the back seat, and a tongue weight maxed at 760 lbs - we were almost at 6100 lbs. Steepest uphill grades (7 degrees) we dropped down to 47 MPH. We got almost 14mpg avg on this trip. I am so impressed with my truck. My wife nicknamed it "Mighty Mouse". If you do your homework for meeting the numbers, it works really well. One last thing: With the Propride, the trailer handles without sway. The truck and trailer move as one - even in high winds. So no "billboard" issues that I experienced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Air Bags really do wonders leveling out the vehicle when towing and carrying weight in the bed.

I installed the Air Lift system, which is leaps and bounds superior to the alternative brands on the market.

I also replaced the rear shocks with the fox 2.0 absorbers, as the factory shocks really don't soak up much and the truck was very bouncy when carrying a heavy load with inflated bags..

Bags and shocks were worth every penny (about $350.00 total) and only took an afternoon to install myself.
I have been looking for air bags and was told they will not fit diesel due to exhaust and gas tank differences for diesel. What have you found that fit diesel?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have been looking for air bags and was told they will not fit diesel due to exhaust and gas tank differences for diesel. What have you found that fit diesel?
I did a 1000# helper AirLift system on my diesel.
no fitment issues at all.
Be aware that you are concentrating the load carried by the air spring on a single point vs. 2 points for the springs.
Take care to not overload this point with a too large air bag or too much air pressure.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts