Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This baby is going to be mine in another week or two: a brand new 2021 Kodiak Cub 175BH. It was tough to trade in my R Pod, but since I’m planning for more time on the road since I can work 100% remote now, the extra space the Cub has will make part time living in my trailer a bit easier.

I know I’m going to need some tow mirrors because of how wide this trailer is. If anybody has brand recommendations, let me know.

·
Registered
193 Posts
How long and how heavy is your new toy?
Go with the boost mirror
there is lots of posts on them.
they retain your heated mirror ect
I have no regrets with mine and they look good too.

Rob

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go with the boost mirror

Rob
The Kodiak Cub is 21.5 feet and 3.5k unloaded weight, so it's well within the tow capacity for the Colorado. That's important to me since I do a lot of winter travel to ski resorts, and I don't want a truck working too hard plus dealing with snow and ice conditions. I'll for sure check out the boost mirrors. Thanks for the heads up :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Go with the boost mirror

Rob

I looked 'em up and agree. They look better than my Aussie mirrors, and I like the light. Do you know how far they pull out? You want them to pull out at least ~3-4", as our trucks are slimmer than average. I have to pull mine out 2-3" on each side to get a non widening view behind my Escape 5.0 TA, and the pictured Kodiak might even be a hair wider.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I looked 'em up and agree. They look better than my Aussie mirrors, and I like the light. Do you know how far they pull out? You want them to pull out at least ~3-4", as our trucks are slimmer than average. I have to pull mine out 2-3" on each side to get a non widening view behind my Escape 5.0 TA, and the pictured Kodiak might even be a hair wider.
I didn’t measure, but I think they pull out 4 inches.
It let’s me see down the sides of my Grey Wolf 19RR but not directly behind.

Rob

·
Registered
10 Posts
I added a backup camera to the back of my Mini Lite. Trailer was prewired and uses bluetooth to communicate with the screen I attach to the inside of my windshield below the rearview mirror. The lens on the camera is very wide angle, so my rule is if I can see you at all (and I mean at all) in the rearview, it is not safe to change lanes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This baby is going to be mine in another week or two: a brand new 2021 Kodiak Cub 175BH. It was tough to trade in my R Pod, but since I’m planning for more time on the road since I can work 100% remote now, the extra space the Cub has will make part time living in my trailer a bit easier.

I know I’m going to need some tow mirrors because of how wide this trailer is. If anybody has brand recommendations, let me know.

View attachment 8863

View attachment 8863
How did you like your R-Pod. I have been looking at them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For a "starter" trailer it was more than I expected. When we purchased it six years ago, we figured even if it was a mistake, it was not a huge one. Size was great.
Because it sat within the wheels, it was easy to see around it with normal mirrors.
Because it sat between the wheels, the interior was a bit smaller that other trailers.
Ours had a slide, (Model 177) so was larger than many RPods. After using it for five years, things we really wanted
--Larger fridge and freezer. The freezer in the Rpod was good for a couple of micro-sized ice trays and not much else. I don't miss carrying another cooler with frozen goods and dry ice.
--Making the bed was a pain, you have to climb on the bed to make it, a wrestling match normally ensued.
--Storage--hardly any.
Besides these issues, we had it freeze up on us when the weather turned unexpectedly cold when we were at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. The pipes and tanks have zero insulation.
On the plus side, I could tow it with my Toyota FJ, though it struggled on hills, got crappy mileage and was a cause of range anxiety because of the 15 gal. fuel tank in the FJ. The diesel Colorado towed it like it was not there. Our RPod came with two batteries, I recommend that. And I would pay to have a "Soft Start" installed in the AC so you can run it on one generator. We hauled two small Hondas (that could be hooked together) and kept them inside Rubbermaid (I think they were 24 gal) Action Packers with lids. The Rubbermaid containers would fit perfectly between the slide and the wall when the slide was closed so you could carry the generators inside the trailer without worry. I carry them on the bumper of the new trailer (RPod bumper will not support them). I like not having to lift the generators (not getting any younger) to use them.
Hope this is not TMI.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice trailer. We purchased a 2020 Rockwood mini lite 2205s this summer. I use those cheap rubber banded mirror ones that have to be zip tied to make sure they dont take off (good ones are on the list). Look into the cheap wifi backup camera setup. Being able to see back there will make traveling around so much less stressful. My trailer has a stock option that is way to expensive, so I purchased a camera from amazon and antenna for less than $100. Since the trailer blocks the signal quite a bit, I opted for antennas to help the clarity a little.

·
Registered
193 Posts
For a "starter" trailer it was more than I expected. When we purchased it six years ago, we figured even if it was a mistake, it was not a huge one. Size was great.
Because it sat within the wheels, it was easy to see around it with normal mirrors.
Because it sat between the wheels, the interior was a bit smaller that other trailers.
Ours had a slide, (Model 177) so was larger than many RPods. After using it for five years, things we really wanted
--Larger fridge and freezer. The freezer in the Rpod was good for a couple of micro-sized ice trays and not much else. I don't miss carrying another cooler with frozen goods and dry ice.
--Making the bed was a pain, you have to climb on the bed to make it, a wrestling match normally ensued.
--Storage--hardly any.
Besides these issues, we had it freeze up on us when the weather turned unexpectedly cold when we were at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. The pipes and tanks have zero insulation.
On the plus side, I could tow it with my Toyota FJ, though it struggled on hills, got crappy mileage and was a cause of range anxiety because of the 15 gal. fuel tank in the FJ. The diesel Colorado towed it like it was not there. Our RPod came with two batteries, I recommend that. And I would pay to have a "Soft Start" installed in the AC so you can run it on one generator. We hauled two small Hondas (that could be hooked together) and kept them inside Rubbermaid (I think they were 24 gal) Action Packers with lids. The Rubbermaid containers would fit perfectly between the slide and the wall when the slide was closed so you could carry the generators inside the trailer without worry. I carry them on the bumper of the new trailer (RPod bumper will not support them). I like not having to lift the generators (not getting any younger) to use them.
Hope this is not TMI.
Not to much info at all.
Nice to have information on different model trailers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
--Storage--hardly any.
Hope this is not TMI.
--Storage--hardly any.
Hope this is not TMI.
Thank you. Very helpful.
God bless and Happy Travels.
Ken Romans

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Colorado Ken , as @dgbinpc said, the R Pod is an excellent starter travel trailer that is great for those weekend warrior and occasional extended camping trips. With our Colorados, they are a breeze to tow and maneuver. I have personally gone to a number of destinations with it. It was with a lot of reluctance and careful thought that I traded it in, as I sincerely liked it that much. I could have made it work for living in part time, but it's really constrained on interior living space.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts