Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone plan on using or are already using any oil/fuel additives in their Duramax such as Zmax, Hotshot or similar products?

·
Registered
84 Posts
BG makes a cleaner I use once a year that cleans tank and removes carbon. I can tell a big difference when I use it.
What is the affect, if any, on the Particulate Filter or emissions? I use stayntune (fuel) with my Golf tdi, no oil additives but religious changes at 5000 miles. Samples are excellent and no mechanical issues (knocking on wood) so far at 242000miles. I think I may use the same regimen with the Chevy, but have concern on impact to emissions. Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went for my 1st free oil change today and the dealership doesn't have an oil filter for my truck at all! They have sold 4 diesel Colorado's you would think they would have everything for a proper oil change. Where is everyone else getting their filters from?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I ordered my filter with cap from idparts. It's an AC/Delco OEM part. It was 49.95 but I have it for my first oil change and won't get a surprise should I elect to have my first change performed at the dealer. You can buy the filter alone for under 20 bucks. You can also find the Dexos 2 certified oil. I am sure their inventory of parts will increase as the Duramax 2.8 becomes more prolific.

How many miles on the oil before the change? Did you have a sample analyzed?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
7100 miles and I check imparts and their filters are on back order. I will find some somewhere and change my own damn oil every 7500 miles like the book recommends.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Went for my 1st free oil change today and the dealership doesn't have an oil filter for my truck at all! They have sold 4 diesel Colorado's you would think they would have everything for a proper oil change. Where is everyone else getting their filters from?
As of this am, 6 Jul 0755, two filter w/cap units in stock. Considering the cap does not look as robust as euro types, I opted for the full unit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I will likely get the gf to run a steady amount of hot shots EDT to keep the fuel system happy. I run a small amount of 2 stroke oil in my LMM, but until i get more info on the fuel system for these 2.8's ill stick to EDT. We plan on keeping this truck for a long time so I want to start early and make sure everything is well kept

·
Registered
150 Posts
I received an order of the TDR-WDA (winter) and TDR-FL (summer) products from Amalgamated but I honestly cannot vouch for it at this moment as I have not used it yet and really would not how to test the results - but I believe for better or worse Internet reviews on the product and also the vendor's biased propaganda touting a high lubricity rating :)

I will do a follow-up post in spring of 2019 on the Amalgamated product after I've used up all my Liqui-molly stuff - which honestly I can't say has not hurt me but also cannot say has had a *OMG WoW!* effect on me either, seriously any noticeable changes with any product of this kind is hard for the average user to discern any noticeable improvement :(

I know this post is not helping anyone really decide what is best (that's where I'm currently at being as lost as most) but interweb research is pointing me in the direction I'm headed now after trying at least 4 additive brands so far.

DISCLAIMER! I'm no expert and new to diesel engines so if anyone ever does what I do and you blowyurengineup, its s'not my fault...

·
Registered
192 Posts
I received an order of the TDR-WDA (winter) and TDR-FL (summer) products from Amalgamated but I honestly cannot vouch for it at this moment as I have not used it yet and really would not how to test the results - but I believe for better or worse Internet reviews on the product and also the vendor's biased propaganda touting a high lubricity rating :)

I will do a follow-up post in spring of 2019 on the Amalgamated product after I've used up all my Liqui-molly stuff - which honestly I can't say has not hurt me but also cannot say has had a *OMG WoW!* effect on me either, seriously any noticeable changes with any product of this kind is hard for the average user to discern any noticeable improvement :(

I know this post is not helping anyone really decide what is best (that's where I'm currently at being as lost as most) but interweb research is pointing me in the direction I'm headed now after trying at least 4 additive brands so far.

DISCLAIMER! I'm no expert and new to diesel engines so if anyone ever does what I do and you blowyurengineup, its s'not my fault...
You can try resetting your trip B odometer once you start using the additive to see what it does to the average mileage. This can be used to compare the delta with your lifetime average MPGs. That’s what I did anyway.

I’ve been using the TDR-FL for about 7 months and I have seen a MPG increase on my trip B which was reset. It’s not much, like 0.7 or 0.8 MPGs higher but it’s the only additive I’ve ever used that showed any improvement whatsoever. These booster additives have a greater effect on poorer quality fuels and the effects begin to diminish as the quality increases. So base fuel quality has a great impact on the final result.

·
Registered
13 Posts
CleverUserName and EKarlW - Thanks for your posts and info. I am in Socal so I have used the summer formula TDR-FL in my 2018 Z71 2.8L since new and now have almost 18k miles on it. I do such varied driving with it that getting accurate, consistant fuel economy numbers is hard. With all the idling I do for work and stop and go LA traffic, I average about 23 mpg. Cost is $98 for 2 gallons shipped to my door. There are different ratings for cetane improvement and other specs on their website but the Amagamated, Inc website does not state their HFRR lubricity test rating drop on it, I asked them and their reply is below. The best observation I can make is that I have had no issues with this 2.8L Dmax engine plus the DPF regens have been getting further apart. The dealer has added urea a few times so it is doing it's regens. At a cost of about $2.32 for 6 ounces per 20 gallon fill up, it has been pretty reasonable IMHO. They recommend 3.2 ounces per 10 gallons diesel fuel. Can either if you share how many ounces you use per 20 gallon fill plus any additional data or thoughts on this product?

From Almalgamated, Inc. May 20, 2019;
"The answer is that it should drop the lubricity rating approximately 70-100 points. The end point wear scar rating depends on what the base fuels wear scar rating starts at. Most diesel fuels in the U.S. have some lubricity components already blended into them during the refining and finishing process to get the rating down to 520um or below. Utilizing TDR-FL aids in achieving many Engine Manufacturer's preferred 460um or lower wear scar rating."

·
Registered
192 Posts
CleverUserName and EKarlW - Thanks for your posts and info. I am in Socal so I have used the summer formula TDR-FL in my 2018 Z71 2.8L since new and now have almost 18k miles on it. I do such varied driving with it that getting accurate, consistant fuel economy numbers is hard. With all the idling I do for work and stop and go LA traffic, I average about 23 mpg. Cost is $98 for 2 gallons shipped to my door. There are different ratings for cetane improvement and other specs on their website but the Amagamated, Inc website does not state their HFRR lubricity test rating drop on it, I asked them and their reply is below. The best observation I can make is that I have had no issues with this 2.8L Dmax engine plus the DPF regens have been getting further apart. The dealer has added urea a few times so it is doing it's regens. At a cost of about $2.32 for 6 ounces per 20 gallon fill up, it has been pretty reasonable IMHO. They recommend 3.2 ounces per 10 gallons diesel fuel. Can either if you share how many ounces you use per 20 gallon fill plus any additional data or thoughts on this product?

From Almalgamated, Inc. May 20, 2019;
"The answer is that it should drop the lubricity rating approximately 70-100 points. The end point wear scar rating depends on what the base fuels wear scar rating starts at. Most diesel fuels in the U.S. have some lubricity components already blended into them during the refining and finishing process to get the rating down to 520um or below. Utilizing TDR-FL aids in achieving many Engine Manufacturer's preferred 460um or lower wear scar rating."
I’ve been using the amalgamated product in all 3 of my diesel vehicles. Use the advertised recommended dosage of 400:1. That is 9.6 mL per gallon of fuel.

I round up to 10 mL per gallon of fuel. I have a 250 mL graduated cylinder that makes it real easy to measure out the correct amount.

The base fuel quality has a lot to do with the final effect of the additive. Whether it’s cetane or lubricity. I have noticed the oil stays very clean while using TDR-FL, it takes 5k miles for it to get dark and even then it’s still not pitch black like you would expect to see with a Diesel engine using heavy EGR like ours.

I ran an oil analysis after using it for 7800 miles and they only measured 0.1% soot in the sample. That is very low, so the fuel does appear to be burning completely now with the additive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone plan on using or are already using any oil/fuel additives in their Duramax such as Zmax, Hotshot or similar products?
I've used a Redline additive called 85 Plus Diesel Fuel Catalyst going on 20 years for the 4 diesel vehicles I've owned. I have not had any engine issues at all including injectors / injection pumps with one 05 Duramax going to 220K miles. Rust killed that truck unfortunately. I guess the only way to know if something is working is the reliability of the engine. The product also contains Redline's ester synth oil to lubricate the cylinder walls and it also has a cetane booster. It has been a great product and would recommend it highly. In terms of oil additives, I have not used any to avoid ash clogging up the DPF. Any oil additive will end up in the combustion chamber to be burned off and if that becomes ash, its devastating to DPFs. DPFs can only burn off soot. Ash just lingers and clogs up the filter leading to an early death. If you're deleted, use Bestline Diesel Additive. Go to the YouTube channel "Project Farm" and watch the Bestline video. If that doesn't convince, I'm not sure what will. The guy on Project Farm is awesome!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts