Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new here and new to auto diesel - I've had plenty of hours on diesel tractors though. I am seriously considering purchasing a 2016 diesel Colorado 4 x 4 that has just over 50,000 miles. The price seems to be right. I'm a little hung up on whether or not to buy an extended warranty. Even though the price is good, it's still at the top of my price range. I have not priced the warranty yet, but I'm sure it's not cheap. I would appreciate any feedback regarding purchasing the truck and/or warranty.

I've been out of the truck buying loop for a long time. I've been driving a 99 Dakota for 16 years.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
What is the price on it? Some dealers want about the same one with a few thousand miles as they want for a 2017 or 2018.

Welcome though.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
That's decent then. If it's 4x4. Can find new 2wd for close but still over $30000.

Also, some dealers don't offer as good of warranty, or financing on used trucks as they do the new (unless you're buying outright in which case congrats :)). We did the extended warranty on our 2017 Canyon. I think it added $30 or less a month for 8 years. I dunno if its worth it or not though ,haven't used it yet :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello,

I am new here and new to auto diesel - I've had plenty of hours on diesel tractors though. I am seriously considering purchasing a 2016 diesel Colorado 4 x 4 that has just over 50,000 miles. The price seems to be right. I'm a little hung up on whether or not to buy an extended warranty. Even though the price is good, it's still at the top of my price range. I have not priced the warranty yet, but I'm sure it's not cheap. I would appreciate any feedback regarding purchasing the truck and/or warranty.

I've been out of the truck buying loop for a long time. I've been driving a 99 Dakota for 16 years.

Thanks.
My recommendation is DON'T BUY the truck. If you just have to have the truck, BUY THE WARRANTY! I bought a used 2016 4x4 2.8 Diesel that had 19k miles two months ago. Today is day 10 that the dealership has had it in for repairs, and this is the 3rd time since I have owned it that it has been in shop (for same issues). Dealership has had it in their possession almost as long as I have! And they are still waiting on a "Backordered" part. I use my truck to tow a trailer for my work, so I haven't been able to work for the last 10 days because the loaner vehicle they give me cant pull a trailer. This is getting really old and very frustrating. Thankfully my truck is still under original warranty. Major problems with EGR being clogged at 20k miles. I also suggest asking dealership to give you service history on its vin#. See if it has been one of the many problem trucks out there or one of the good ones. There seem to be both. Just do you homework before you buy. I didn't and now I'm stuck with a lemon. If you want to read more about my story, I have posted it under topic "11 codes in 4500 miles?"

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello,

Thanks.
I have a 2016 2 wheel drive with positraction, I have 21000 mi. and my wife and myself love our truck, we use it to pull our travel trailer, it's perfect! also I purchased a 100,000 mi. warranty through USAA and it was just shy of a $1000, covers everything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I've elected not to buy the truck at this time. The dealer was very good at answering all my questions and supplying the service history. There were two listings on the service history that caught my eye.

At 15,760 miles - Engine Control Module Reprogramming with SPS (Phase 1-4)
At 27,735 miles - Emission Reduction Fluid Supply Pump Module Replacement

1 - 7 of 7 Posts